none
TFS beginner - guidance please what to do now after install

Question

• I finished installing the TFS server read the two .chm installs - I am completely new to TFS, admittedly lost.
    • I dont see any menu controls for TFS. I am not sure how do I go about administering other tasks or what tasks/options do I have to administer i.e can I do now/next - I wanted to play around with it and learn, but I see nothing in the menu control (I thought maybe the install was not complete, but verfication says complete).
    • One task is trying to migrate VSS data into the TFS but that about where I end, I dont know how to get templates and view/modify/customize them or what to do next - suggestions, help etc.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 1:04 PM

Answers

• Let's see if we can get you a kick start Smile

Have you installed the Team Exporer SKU on a client machine?  That should give you a "team" menu on the Visual Studio menu bar.  If you don't see this, check that your Source Control Provider under Tools/Options/Source Control is set to "Visual Studio Team Foundation Server".  From there, you should be able to select your server, connect, and if everything is set up properly, you can create a new Team Project.

Once you've got that working, take a look around the built-in templates for CMMI and Agile development.  You can download more templates at the recently launched template center too.  That site has several templates to download as well as documentation and videos on creating new ones.

For questions about customizing templates, this forum might be more helpful for you.

Keep an eye on Stephanie's new blog too for more about process templates

Thursday, March 27, 2008 1:28 PM
  • I will try that J, thanks for the pointers.

Thread settings help - also I went under the "my profile" to update my email address for thread reply notifications - I didnt see one, just a public display email. Where would I be able to update this please for notifications without revealing my email to the public?

Thursday, March 27, 2008 2:02 PM
  •  

I think it just uses the e-mail address registered with your Windows Live ID you use to log into the forums.  You can probably change that somehow in the Live ID account settings.  There's a forum for forum Q&A that would certainly be more helpful than me though Smile.
    Thursday, March 27, 2008 2:06 PM

All replies

• Let's see if we can get you a kick start Smile

Have you installed the Team Exporer SKU on a client machine?  That should give you a "team" menu on the Visual Studio menu bar.  If you don't see this, check that your Source Control Provider under Tools/Options/Source Control is set to "Visual Studio Team Foundation Server".  From there, you should be able to select your server, connect, and if everything is set up properly, you can create a new Team Project.

Once you've got that working, take a look around the built-in templates for CMMI and Agile development.  You can download more templates at the recently launched template center too.  That site has several templates to download as well as documentation and videos on creating new ones.

For questions about customizing templates, this forum might be more helpful for you.

Keep an eye on Stephanie's new blog too for more about process templates

Thursday, March 27, 2008 1:28 PM
  • I will try that J, thanks for the pointers.

Thread settings help - also I went under the "my profile" to update my email address for thread reply notifications - I didnt see one, just a public display email. Where would I be able to update this please for notifications without revealing my email to the public?

Thursday, March 27, 2008 2:02 PM
  •  

I think it just uses the e-mail address registered with your Windows Live ID you use to log into the forums.  You can probably change that somehow in the Live ID account settings.  There's a forum for forum Q&A that would certainly be more helpful than me though Smile.
    Thursday, March 27, 2008 2:06 PM
  • I wasnt able to find the download for the TFC client... I looked under downloads in MSDN - does this need something additional.

Friday, March 28, 2008 2:44 PM
  • Visual Studio 2008 or 2010 could also be a client for TFS server . Go to "Team > Connect to team foundation server".
    Sunday, May 29, 2011 1:51 AM