none
Visual Studio 2008 : Toolbox doesn't work !

Question

•  

Hello,

I've a problem with Visual Studio 2008 version 9.0.21022.8 RTM.  The toolbox contains no item (except html tags) when editing a web page. The same bug occurs when editing a windows form application. I tried to repair the installation and reset the toolbox but none of those actions solved the problem. I hadn't this bug with Orcas beta 2...

Here is a screen shot of the problem.

Does someone knows how to correct it ?

Best regards,

mathmax

Monday, December 31, 2007 1:16 PM

Answers

• Jason,

I was having the same problem.  My solution: I unplugged my Microsoft wireless mouse and the grayed out AJAX Controls became active!

My platform:

HP Pavilion Laptop dv9000

Vista Ultimate

Visual Studio 2008

Microsoft Wireless Mouse

Recompiled AJAX Control Toolkit to have version number 3.5.0.0.

To check that the wireless mouse somehow was related to the problem, I reset the control toolbox, disconnected my wireless mouse, and successfully added the AJAX Control Toolkit to my toolbox using the touchpad on my laptop.  I also borrowed a Logitech wireless mouse and had no problems with the AJAX Control Toolkit. Therefore, it appears, at least for my setup, that the Microsoft wireless mouse was causing the problem.

I would be interested if this solution would apply/works for you.  Please let me know.

Thanks,

John

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:29 PM
  • Hi

It seems that the .NET Framework may not installed well, try to verify it using .NET Framework 3.5 Installation validation tool: http://blogs.msdn.com/aaronru/archive/2007/11/29/net-framework-3-5-installation-validation-tool.aspx

What is your OS version?

Otherwise, please try to

• run devenv /ResetSettings to isolate the Settings problem.
    • run devenv /safemode to isolate potential 3rd party add-in issues
    • run devenv /ResetSkipPkgs to see if it does the trick?

Thanks

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 4:57 AM

All replies

• I have the same problem in Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition, Visual Basic C# Express Edition, Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition. No toolbox, and no form to put anything onto, even if I did have the toolbox. I haven't any experience with coding, so please be gentle!

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 11:39 AM
  • Hi

It seems that the .NET Framework may not installed well, try to verify it using .NET Framework 3.5 Installation validation tool: http://blogs.msdn.com/aaronru/archive/2007/11/29/net-framework-3-5-installation-validation-tool.aspx

What is your OS version?

Otherwise, please try to

Thanks

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 4:57 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you very much for your help.

First you tool has detected that all it's ok.

Then I've executed the devenv with the 3 paramaters you adviced. The 2 first doesn't fix the problem, but the last one (/ResetSkipPkgs ) fix it !

I was running with orcas beta 2 before. I think it was the cause of the problem because I tried to install the same version of Visual Studio 2008 RTM on an other computer without having the same problem. But I don't understand why /ResetSkipPkgs  fixed the problem...

Anyway, thank you very much for you help.

Best regards,

mathmax

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 11:28 AM
  • Sorry but there is an other bug.
    When editing an office Ribbon is a VSTO word Document 2007 project, the items in the toolbox are not correct. All controls that are  usefull for this ribbon (pane, button, checkbox,...) don't appear. Do you have an idea of the problem ?

Regards,

mathmax

Thursday, January 03, 2008 4:42 PM
  • Hi there, I am still having the same issues, with no resolve I have tried all the devenv / resetsettings ETC and nothing is working, I can not add any third party controls to the Tool Box??

Is there anything or does anybody know how to fix this.

Just for info i have:

Brand New Toshiba Satellite A200 Laptop (It has no usless software or crazy stuff running in the task bar, I have removed Norton before I began any installations. But I have tried even leaving the software on.

1.Re-installed the OS Vista Home Premium.

2.Installed everything under IIS & .net 3.0 from windows Programs and features

3.Done all Windows Updates, I mean all not just critical updates.

4.Installed VS2008 to the default location I Chose Full, but have tried custom.

5.Checked for updates for VS2008

I have also done this in radom order.

TOOL BOX DID NOT WORK AT THIS POINT WITH ANY THIRD PARTY WEB CONTROLS AND AJAX TOOLKIT 3.5

Installed ASP.NET AJAX Extensions 1.0

Installed AJAX 1.0 Templates for VS2008

TOOL BOX DID NOT WORK AT THIS POINT WITH ANY THIRD PARTY WEB CONTROLS AND AJAX TOOLKIT 1.0

The Controls just will not show I also note that the pointer control that is in every tab is missing from the general Tab unless I choose show all.

I have even deleted the 9.0 folder in the "C:\Users\jason\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0" I backed it up of course, but this did not help.

When I make a new tab or try to add controls to an existing tab then "choose Items" I can select the .dll I want to add and it appears ok with a tick next to it in the Choose Components & is the right version and all and is highlighted, bust when I press ok they just do not appear in the toolbox and if I choose show all they are greyed out and then when I un-tick show all the new tab I created just goes away!

I am defenitly selecting controls than can be used I am not trying to use for example WinForm controls in an ASP.NET application, as I have said it all works fine on VS2005.

I am at a loss, it just does not work for me. Can not add any controls to the Tool Box, I get the same Issue with Visual Web Developer 2008. Yet my .NET Frameworks seem to be installed correctly according to the above tool which I have used.

Please, please help

Jason 

Thursday, January 03, 2008 10:09 PM
  • Hi Mathmax

You another problem looks related to VSTO, I would suggest you deliver a new thread in VSTO forum to get better answer.

And Hi Jason

You may refer to ASP.NET AJAX Control Toolkit first, starting a new question.

Thanks

Friday, January 04, 2008 2:41 AM
  • Ok I will post in the VSTO forum. But it is a Visual Studio problem also... don't you have an idea of the problem ?

Best regards,

mathmax

Friday, January 04, 2008 11:21 AM
  • Jason,

I was having the same problem.  My solution: I unplugged my Microsoft wireless mouse and the grayed out AJAX Controls became active!

My platform:

HP Pavilion Laptop dv9000

Vista Ultimate

Visual Studio 2008

Microsoft Wireless Mouse

Recompiled AJAX Control Toolkit to have version number 3.5.0.0.

To check that the wireless mouse somehow was related to the problem, I reset the control toolbox, disconnected my wireless mouse, and successfully added the AJAX Control Toolkit to my toolbox using the touchpad on my laptop.  I also borrowed a Logitech wireless mouse and had no problems with the AJAX Control Toolkit. Therefore, it appears, at least for my setup, that the Microsoft wireless mouse was causing the problem.

I would be interested if this solution would apply/works for you.  Please let me know.

Thanks,

John

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:29 PM
  • I would like to confirm that John's above instructions of unplugging the Microsoft Wireless mouse works...

It appears to cause an issue when VS 2008 starts and the mouse is plugged in,

Close vs2008, unplug mouse, start vs2008, toolkit appears, plug mouse back in.

Thanks

Gerry

Friday, January 11, 2008 8:52 PM
  • Just wanted to add that I had the same problem with AJAX Control Tookit not showing up in the toolkit for VWD. I resolved this by unplugging the Microsoft mouse as suggested above. It was trickier for me, because I have wireless keyboard and mouse set from Microsoft, so when I unplug the USB plug I lose ALL input devices! I had to grab another keyboard, plug it in, unplug the wireless set, hit enter on the VWD icon, open up the project using the keyboard, confirm that toolkit shows up, then plug in wireless set.

Thank you!! I would not have thought to unplug a mouse to get this to work...

Saturday, January 12, 2008 8:16 PM
  • Hi,

I installed VWD 2008 after removing earlier version ( may be VWD 2008 beta 2 ). Now, am not seeing any controls in Toolbox. More over, am not able to see Command Window in IDE or don't know how to execute run commands from the Command Prompt. Windows Command prompt gives "Command not recognized" error. Finally, I couldn't locate the directory that has devenv Command.

Any help on this really appreciated.

Thanks

Ram

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:01 AM
  • I can confirm that this problem is temporarily alleviated by unplugging and replugging in the dongle for the Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse -- but only for the session.  If you close Visual Studio 2008 and restart it -- you have to unplug and replug in the keyboard and mouse receiver for it to work.

The Visual Studio 2008 Properties window will also sometimes be empty even after you have clicked on controls in the designer and so you cannot set properties on the controls.

Microsoft: please fix this bug -- it is EXTREMELY annoying!

Thanks,
    Timothy
    http://www.anatone.net

Monday, February 04, 2008 6:14 PM
  •  

Thank you very much, I has eaten my lunch and dinner both. Like the last guy the third command fixed it for me as well.
    Sunday, March 30, 2008 3:59 AM
  • Unplugging my Microsoft mouse solved this problem for me as well.  There is now a fix in Windows Update.   You just have to have the mouse plugged in when searching for updates.
    Thursday, April 03, 2008 9:00 PM
  •  

Visual Studio 2008 Express displays my custom control correctly in the ToolBox.

Visual Studio 2008 Team System FAILS to display custom control.

I do not have a microsoft mouse.

Monday, April 21, 2008 8:30 PM
  •  

I have the same problem also.

When I add OpenNetCF Windows.Forms namespace the items do not appear but are grayed out in when I "Show All".

I have tried deleting all the tbd file and I do not have a Microsoft mouse.

Also tried the below with no resolutions.

Anybody else know a fix for this as its causing me real issues now.

Phil

Thursday, May 29, 2008 9:06 AM
  • OMG! I cannot believe that unplugging the MS Wireless mouse actually worked! I've spent hours trying to figure this out.
    Thanks bunches!
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 6:08 PM
  • is there a PERMANENT fix for this? My project got DELAYED because of this f$%#^&#@ issue!
    Saturday, August 09, 2008 5:57 AM
  • Do you know which KB is this? I am running Vista
    • Proposed as answer by Roy Abarca Thursday, December 04, 2008 7:58 PM
    Saturday, August 09, 2008 6:02 AM
  •  

Tip: Missing controls in Toolbox - Visual Studio 2008

I encountered a problem today when I uninstalled my Visual Studio 2008 Beta 2 and then installed the RTM version of Visual Studio 2008 Professional.

When I created a Windows Mobile project, the controls in Toolbox were missing. In place of the usual controls is a tab labelled "#13119". The usual remedy of right-clicking the Toolbox and then selecting Reset Toolbox did not help.

After some searching of Visual Studio folders, I finally found the solution. You need to navigate to the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0

And within this folder are some hidden files. Simply remove the following files:

"toolbox.tbd", "toolboxIndex.tbd", "toolbox_reset.tbd", "toolboxIndex_reset.tbd"

Then restart Visual Studio 2008. Your controls should now come back up! ;-)

Roy
    Thursday, December 04, 2008 7:59 PM
  •  

Tip: Missing controls in Toolbox - Visual Studio 2008

I encountered a problem today when I uninstalled my Visual Studio 2008 Beta 2 and then installed the RTM version of Visual Studio 2008 Professional.

When I created a Windows Mobile project, the controls in Toolbox were missing. In place of the usual controls is a tab labelled "#13119". The usual remedy of right-clicking the Toolbox and then selecting Reset Toolbox did not help.

After some searching of Visual Studio folders, I finally found the solution. You need to navigate to the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0

And within this folder are some hidden files. Simply remove the following files:

"toolbox.tbd", "toolboxIndex.tbd", "toolbox_reset.tbd", "toolboxIndex_reset.tbd"

Then restart Visual Studio 2008. Your controls should now come back up! ;-)

Roy
    This did not work for me and I have a microsoft wireless mouse.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:56 PM
  • unplugging the MS Wireless mouse worked like a charm, really cant belive the time i lost for trying to figure it out.

Thanks John.

Burc
    Monday, October 12, 2009 7:37 PM
  • well you dont have to change anything install service pack 1 for VS 2008 and it will fix this issue and also many others. I guess microsoft also heard about this issue.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 1:32 PM
  • I've read through this whole thread, and tried all of the solutions.
    No wireless mouse.
    I've deleted all of the tool*.tbd files (in multiple directories because I had uninstalled and reinstalled).
    I checked the .Net runtimes with the Aaron Ruckman cmd file. All good. 
    Reset toolbox didn't work. nor did any of the other resets.

On Windows Server 2003 with the latest and greatest VS Professional download.

Any thoughts?
    mcclmatt
    Monday, November 23, 2009 4:45 AM
  • Installed SP1 for VS2008.  The VS 2008 iso is dated after the SP1 iso, so I thought when I originally installed VS 2008 it would have included SP1, but no matter.  

This didn't solve the entire problem, but reduced it.  Now, at least I have a few tools under VisualBasic Power Packs, I was able to add some under Common and Reporting. 

This is a very frustrating problem. 
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 11:41 AM
  • OK, Finally think I have solved it. 

AFTER installing VS 2008 SP1 (that didn't completely solve the problem), I thought to check again for these hidden cached files toolbox*.tbd.  Sure enough, they must have been regenerated when I opened a forms project after I uninstalled and reinstalled VS 2008 Professional, but before installing SP1. 

However, I found these cache files.  They were all over the place -- under a few different folders in Documents and Settings under both "default user" folders and my [username] folder; VSA\9.0, VisualStudio\9.0, MSDN\9.0).  

In any case, I found them all using "dir toolbox*.tbd /a:h /s", and deleted them.  Next open of Visual Studio was successful.  Unless the problem returns, I'm happily on my way.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 12:30 PM
  • i have the same problem... i have use the "devenv.exe /resetsettings" to solve this problem
    Visit http://rnsoft.cjb.net to join our free aplication developement :D
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 1:22 AM
  • Hi There,

I had the same problem. Followed different instructions to add the toolbox controls. But nothing showed up. While reading these posts one thing came to my mind. I checked the framework of my current project.

Intrestingly when i created the project I did select the framework 3.5 but it was set to 2.0. Then I simply changed it to 3.5 and toolkit showed up right away.

I thought this may help someone.

Thanks
    Zeeshan

Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:46 PM
  • I've had this happen but the fix was easy--make sure you're not still in Debug mode!

I'm sorry to say I've done this more than once...

Saturday, December 17, 2011 6:20 PM