none
Creating a Start Menu icon for OOB application

General discussion

• I've seen this discussed before, but haven't seen a solution.

When you create an OOB application, you get the ClickOnce application reference shortcut on the Start Menu, which is just a plain "empty window" icon which looks pretty ugly and doesn't match the icon you get for your application on the taskbar when you start it.

To set my own icon, I did the following:

Create a 16x16 .ico file and copy it to the root folder of your LightSwitch project (i.e. the same folder that has the Client/Common/Server folders in it)
    In this same folder, open the *.lsproj file in a text editor
    Add this tag somewhere within the XML:

<PropertyGroup>
        <ApplicationIcon>Project.ico</ApplicationIcon>
      </PropertyGroup>

(where Project.ico is the name of the ico file you copied to the root directory)

Now when you deploy your application it should show this icon on the Start Menu instead of the boring default one.

You may have to uninstall any old version of your deployed app and reinstall again for it to replace the existing Start Menu icon... I've not checked this.

EDIT: If you use a multiple resolution .ico file, you'll also get a better resolution icon on the ClickOnce installer window and if you put the icon on the desktop.

Free Visual Studio LightSwitch extensions: Elyl's Extensions http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/bbe013bf-45b6-46c4-ba13-537cc23c5118

• Edited by ElylV Friday, November 23, 2012 9:01 AM
    Friday, August 24, 2012 11:43 AM

All replies

• Elyl, your blood's worth bottlin'! As an Aussie, you'll know what that means already, but for those who aren't familiar with the expression, it just means he's "fantastic".

I have been lamenting the inability to have an icon for LS applications that get pinned to the taskbar (also the start menu, but that's just a bonus for me), for a very long time now (I have 5 LS applications pinned to my taskbar, & I've had to right-click each one to see which was the one that I wanted to run).

I was hoping that it would be "fixed" in LS V2, but I didn't think to look when I was playing with it - actually, maybe I couldn't because I had publishing problems), so I don't know if it has been, or not. Silverlight has always had the ability to do this (at least v4+), but I couldn't understand why the team didn't implement it for LS.

I tried your method & it worked perfectly (so far, lol).

Do you mind if I add a blog post to LightSwitch Central (crediting you, of course)?

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

If you find a reply helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful", if a reply answers your question, please click "Mark as Answer"

By doing this you'll help people find answers faster.

Friday, August 24, 2012 1:49 PM
  • Be my guest!

Any googling of this issue only comes up with threads by yourself, so I'm glad I helped you out, and if you can spread the word, great!

Free Visual Studio LightSwitch extensions: Elyl's Extensions http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/bbe013bf-45b6-46c4-ba13-537cc23c5118

Friday, August 24, 2012 3:04 PM
  • Thanks!

I can't tell you how happy I am to be now looking at 5 individual icons on my taksbar, that actually represent each application in a meaningful way, instead of 5 blank-looking-all-the-same icons I've been dealing with up until now.

And I've verified that this wasn't fixed in V2, but your technique works there too. It would be SO easy for the team to implement your solution automatically, but for now I'm happy (no, make that ecstatic, lol) to be able to just do it manually..

Quite a while back, I found the Silverlight method of doing it, but LS kept overwriting the entries that had been added to whichever XML file it was (don't recall the name of it right now).

You method survives publishing, & it was cool to see the icons actually change in front of my eyes, in both the update window & in the task bar, as the application was updating itself. No restarts of anything required!

So once again, THANKS for sharing the technique.

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

If you find a reply helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful", if a reply answers your question, please click "Mark as Answer"

Friday, August 24, 2012 3:43 PM
  • Did you try setting the Logo image and Application icon from the project's properties? That's all I did, and I got the icon in the start menu and on the taskbar. Can't remember which of the two did it, as I usually set them both to the same png file, but it always works for me.

Hope this helps.

FREE custom controls for Lightswitch! A collection of useful controls for Lightswitch developers. Download from the Visual Studio Gallery.

If you're really bored, you could read about my experiments with .NET and some of Microsoft's newer technologies at http://dotnetwhatnot.pixata.co.uk/

Sunday, August 26, 2012 1:34 PM
  • Yes, I've got both of those set on my projects, but only get the icon on the Taskbar, and the generic ClickOnce/vslshost "blank window" icon on the Start Menu.  My method is the only way I've been able to get the icon on the Start Menu.

Monday, August 27, 2012 10:56 AM
  • Yes, I experienced the same thing. I tried doing that AGES ago. The only thing those settings change is the icon for when the application is RUNNING. The start menu icon isn't changed, & neither is the icon that gets pinned to the task bar.

I don't know about web applications, but thise settings DO NOT work for OOB applications.

Monday, August 27, 2012 11:02 AM
  • Well, don't know what I've done differently, but as you can see from the snap of my desktop below, I have two OOB applications pinned to my task bar. Neither was running when I snapped this.

All I did in both of these cases was set the application icon and the logo image to the same .ico file. Both use the icon in the taskbar and on the start menu.

So, I wouldn't go so far as to say categorically that they don't work for OOBs, there's obviously something more to the story than this. I would be interested to know what it is though. It's obviously not working for either of you two, but it works fine for me.

I'm on Win7 Pro 64 bit if it makes any difference. I would be interested to know what OS you two are using.

FREE custom controls for Lightswitch! A collection of useful controls for Lightswitch developers. Download from the Visual Studio Gallery.

If you're really bored, you could read about my experiments with .NET and some of Microsoft's newer technologies at http://dotnetwhatnot.pixata.co.uk/

Monday, August 27, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Same OS.

What size are your images?

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:41 AM
  • Same OS.

Hmm, that's odd. I wonder why it works fine for me, and not for you two. I would be interested to hear from others if it works for them. I'm not sure if I'm the lucky minority, or you're the unlucky minority!

What size are your images?

32x32 pixel PNG (not .ico as I mistakenly mentioned earlier). What size are yours?

Ta ra

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:59 PM
  • I'm on W7 Pro x86, and my icon was 32x32 PNG too.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:01 PM
  • Oh, well that blows any theory about different OSs or images then :(

Back to the drawing board. Thanks for the reply.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:07 PM
  • I'm running Windows 7 and currently Visual Studio 2012 and also have the generic Start Menu icon for OOB applications. Using ElyIV's approach of placing the application icon file in the projects root directory and adding the ApplicationIcon section to the project file replaced the application's generic Start Menu icon with the icon file saved to the root directory. As an added note, I used a 32 x 32 .ico file and it worked with a deployed application; no reinstall required.

I will give this a go on my Windows 8.1 workstation and VS 2013.

Thanks for the fix,

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 7:24 PM
  • For the record, I had to uninstall and reinstall for it to take effect.

Dicky... Sent from my Windows Phone :)

Monday, August 18, 2014 11:11 AM