none
Preventing IIS from "falling into sleep"

Question

• I'm hosting a WCF service in IIS, and it works fine, it's just that when it isn't used for a while (15 minutes or so), IIS seems to take the service down in some way. So, my next call to the service takes a long time since (I guess) IIS needs to load the service back up again. Is there a setting to tell IIS to always try to have the service loaded and ready for action?

Regards Andreas

Sunday, April 22, 2007 7:23 AM

Answers

• Yes,  there is.

Open IIS manager, go to Application Pools, find application pool that is configured for your site\virtual directory, select Properties->Performance and there you can set idle timeout.

Indigo Cowboy

Monday, April 23, 2007 1:33 PM

All replies

• You could use SmarterTools SmarterPing, point it to the .svc file and have it ping your service at a consistent interval. It's free and was designed to keep ASP.NET pages from recycling.

http://www.smartertools.com/Products/SmarterPing/Default.aspx

Monday, April 23, 2007 12:11 PM
  • So, there isn't any setting for this in IIS / WCF ?

regards Andreas

Monday, April 23, 2007 12:20 PM
  • Yes,  there is.

Open IIS manager, go to Application Pools, find application pool that is configured for your site\virtual directory, select Properties->Performance and there you can set idle timeout.

Indigo Cowboy

Monday, April 23, 2007 1:33 PM
  • Thank you very much! This was the answer I was looking for.

Guess my inexperience in IIS showed up a bit here...

regards Andreas

Monday, April 23, 2007 1:51 PM
  • Idle time is configurable on the Application Pool associated with the application/virtual directory . On IIS7, click on advance setting on the application pool and change idle timeout. Other setting that might affect the process lifetime are shutdown timeout, startup timeout, rapid protection failure, process recycle etc.

Monday, April 23, 2007 5:25 PM