none
Visual Web Developer 2010 Express - No tools in toolbox - if targeting .Net 3.5

Question

• Just in case, I have another post related to not being able to select the .Net target version when creating a project/website. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbide/thread/9c8fb68e-feed-4052-83da-46e52341f298

Perhaps related...  Though I cannot select the target version when creating the website, I can change the target version once it is created.  This has some side effects with the default website registration pages not working, but that is a separate issue.

My problem is that the toolbox is empty, has no tools/controls, once the target .Net version is changed.  I understand the toolbox, property sheets, etc. should only show items appropriate to the selected framework version.

Does this indicate that all the included tools are only for version 4.0?  Should there be some tools/controls to work with down-level versions?  Can I download/install some V3.5 tools?

Sunday, January 22, 2012 1:36 AM

Answers

• I have attempted to replicate your problem of an empty toolbox after changing .NET Framework versions in both a Web Project and a Web Site, and cannot.

When you change the .NET Framework version in either, you should see a dialog telling you that you must close the project, then reopen it. After you do that, the project opens, but does not show the default web page in the editor. What happens if you double-click on Default.aspx in Solution Explorer to open the page in the editor? Does the Toolbox populate?

• Marked as answer by CBS3 Sunday, January 22, 2012 9:28 PM
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 6:01 PM

All replies

• I have attempted to replicate your problem of an empty toolbox after changing .NET Framework versions in both a Web Project and a Web Site, and cannot.

When you change the .NET Framework version in either, you should see a dialog telling you that you must close the project, then reopen it. After you do that, the project opens, but does not show the default web page in the editor. What happens if you double-click on Default.aspx in Solution Explorer to open the page in the editor? Does the Toolbox populate?

• Marked as answer by CBS3 Sunday, January 22, 2012 9:28 PM
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 6:01 PM
  • Thanks.  So simple...
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 9:28 PM