none
VS2012: msvsmon.exe doesn't run on Windows XP

Question

• I'm trying out the remote debugger in VS2012: msvsmon.exe. It won't run on Windows XP client machines. I get the error message:

msvsmon.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

Looking at depends.exe shows that msvsmon.exe uses some APIs that only exist in Windows Vista and later (such as CancelSynchronousIo).

I understood that we would have support for Windows XP clients in VS2012 RTM from this blog post that says that:

Enhancing Multi-targeting
    Later this fall, Microsoft will provide an update to Visual Studio 2012 that will enable C++ applications to target Windows XP. This update will make the necessary modifications to the Visual C++ 2012 compiler, runtime, and libraries to enable developers to create applications and DLLs that run on Windows XP and higher versions as well as Windows Server 2003 and higher.

From here: https://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2012/06/15/10320645.aspx

Is this update comming later? What is the story for Windows XP support in VS2012?

Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:53 PM

Answers

• I'm trying out the remote debugger in VS2012: msvsmon.exe. It won't run on Windows XP client machines. I get the error message:
    Looking at depends.exe shows that msvsmon.exe uses some APIs that only exist in Windows Vista and later (such as CancelSynchronousIo).

Can you submit a bug report on the issue on the MS connect site please
    - and post a link back here to the report so we can follow it.

I understood that we would have support for Windows XP clients in VS2012 RTM from this blog post that says that:

The XP support is supposed to arrive in a subsequent release in the
    Autumn - but please submit that bug report just so it doesn't get
    missed.

Dave

Thursday, August 16, 2012 3:01 PM

All replies

Can you submit a bug report on the issue on the MS connect site please
    - and post a link back here to the report so we can follow it.

The XP support is supposed to arrive in a subsequent release in the
    Autumn - but please submit that bug report just so it doesn't get
    missed.

Dave

Thursday, August 16, 2012 3:01 PM
  • According to this visual C++ team blog post:

"When debugging on Windows XP is required, it is recommended to use the debuggers of an older version of Visual Studio, such as Visual Studio 2010, for local or remote debugging."

It is unclear whether this means the project would need to be rebut with Visual Studio 2010, or it should simply be able to read .pdb files from a 2012 build.  The former case is a nightmare, since solutions and projects are not backwards compatible and we'd need to maintain 2 sets.  The latter case did not work for me today; should it?

Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:57 AM