none
ANYBODY SEEN THIS: You should only open projects from a trustworthy source

Question

• Visual Studio 2010 Premium throws this error:

You should only open projects from a trustworthy source. The project file 'project' may have come from a location that isn’t fully trusted. It could represent a security risk by executing customer build steps when opened in Microsoft Visual Studio that could cause damage to your computer or compromise your private information.

It happens when creating NEW projects, no matter the type of project, no matter what framework (2, 3.5 or 4) and even when they are created on my local C drive (no network involved). I have uninstalled/reinstalled everything, and I also did a takeown /F /R to my projects folder, to the visual studio installation folder and to the frameworks folders.

Has anybody seen this behavior?

HP 6730b Laptop running on Windows 7 Pro x64, Office 2010 Pro x64 and SQL Server 2008 x64

Friday, July 30, 2010 10:14 PM

Answers

• Hi jxvalenz,

Thanks for the post. Did you tried the same with Administrator account. I mean open the Visual Studio IDE as administrator.

Raman Katwal

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, August 06, 2010 5:46 AM
    Sunday, August 01, 2010 1:47 PM
  • Hi Jxvalenz,

For your concern, I need to do some clarification with you:
    Do you mean that you got the above error message when you tried to create new projects?

Frankly speaking, sometimes we might come across this error message when we want to open some projects downloaded from the Internet.
    Please see: http://msmvps.com/blogs/theproblemsolver/archive/2010/05/06/opening-a-vs2010-project-from-another-location.aspx

Could you please help me to check the following steps?

- Log on your Windows 7 with administrator account
    - When launch Visual Studio 2010, please run it with administrator privileges
      (Right-click the icon >> "Run as Administrator")

If the problem still exists, could you please help me to check whether you can open any existing VS2010 projects on your machine?

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Monday, August 02, 2010 12:55 PM typo
    Monday, August 02, 2010 12:36 PM

All replies

• Hi jxvalenz,

Thanks for the post. Did you tried the same with Administrator account. I mean open the Visual Studio IDE as administrator.

Raman Katwal

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Sunday, August 01, 2010 1:47 PM
  • Hi Jxvalenz,

For your concern, I need to do some clarification with you:
    Do you mean that you got the above error message when you tried to create new projects?

Frankly speaking, sometimes we might come across this error message when we want to open some projects downloaded from the Internet.
    Please see: http://msmvps.com/blogs/theproblemsolver/archive/2010/05/06/opening-a-vs2010-project-from-another-location.aspx

Could you please help me to check the following steps?

- Log on your Windows 7 with administrator account
    - When launch Visual Studio 2010, please run it with administrator privileges
      (Right-click the icon >> "Run as Administrator")

If the problem still exists, could you please help me to check whether you can open any existing VS2010 projects on your machine?

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Monday, August 02, 2010 12:55 PM typo
    Monday, August 02, 2010 12:36 PM
  • Hi Jxvalenz,

I'm writing to follow up the post. Does the above suggestion work?

Please feel free to let me know if you need any help.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 7:17 AM
  • Hi Jxvalenz,

I've marked Raman's and my reply as answer. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Friday, August 06, 2010 5:46 AM
  • I get the same error in a Domain environment.  My account is a Domain Admin, which puts me in the local Administrators group.  VS 2010 Professional was installed under my account.  In addition, I have added our local network drives to the local intranet in IE.

Mike Ober.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:05 PM
  • Fix this. Still happens on 2012 it's annoying and unnecessary. 
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:40 PM