none
Windows 7 & NET framework 3.5

Question

• I have had to repair the NET Framework installation on 2 computers within the last 3 months.

with NET Framework being imbedded into Windows 7, how can the NET installation be repaired??

Saturday, January 02, 2010 12:10 AM

Answers

• Hi RockinRon399,

Thank you for your post.

For Windows 7, it includes the .NET Framework 3.5.1 as an OS component. This means you will get the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 plus a few post 3.5 SP1 bug fixes. The feature of 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 can be added or removed via the Programs and Features control panel.

If you need to repair the .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7, you will need to use instructions like the ones in this blog post. (Also applied for Windows 7)

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Monday, January 04, 2010 10:58 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, January 08, 2010 3:31 AM
    Monday, January 04, 2010 10:58 AM
  • Hi RockinRon399,

Thank you for your reply.

As I mentioned, this blog is also applied for repairing .NET 3.5 with SP1 in Windows 7. Please follow the steps mentioned in the blog to have a try.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by RockinRon399 Monday, January 11, 2010 8:55 AM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 3:16 AM

All replies

• Hi RockinRon399,

Thank you for your post.

For Windows 7, it includes the .NET Framework 3.5.1 as an OS component. This means you will get the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 plus a few post 3.5 SP1 bug fixes. The feature of 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 can be added or removed via the Programs and Features control panel.

If you need to repair the .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7, you will need to use instructions like the ones in this blog post. (Also applied for Windows 7)

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Monday, January 04, 2010 10:58 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, January 08, 2010 3:31 AM
    Monday, January 04, 2010 10:58 AM
  • Hi RockinRon399,

Thank you for your post.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

the blog did not mention .NET 3.5,   only 3.0 and earlier.

Friday, January 08, 2010 8:36 AM
  • Hi RockinRon399,

Thank you for your reply.

As I mentioned, this blog is also applied for repairing .NET 3.5 with SP1 in Windows 7. Please follow the steps mentioned in the blog to have a try.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Marked as answer by RockinRon399 Monday, January 11, 2010 8:55 AM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 3:16 AM
  • Hello All! 

To help those who do not, as I do not, like to click extra links for answers:

Windows 7, Vista, and Server 2008:  .NET is built-in, to repair follow these steps:

1.  Click your Windows button

2.  Type CMD, and then right click on the Command Prompt that shows up, and select 'Run as Administrator'.

3.  At the DOS Prompt, type 'sfc /scannow' and press Enter

4.  It may at some point ask you for your original installation files, which you will need to get off of the original Windows Installation source.

5.  You are done, this will have repaired any .NET framework problems up to 3.5, which is built-in to these systems, as well as any other issues that may have become corrupted.

Monday, January 03, 2011 8:10 PM
  • Hi

I am developer (C# 2008). I install redistributeable .netframework 3.5 sp1 before installing my applications in my client PCs.

I hope that you can tell me why .netframework need reparing? is it due to trying installing .netframework in win 7 and it's alredy exist? I mean should I just installing my applications dircetly without trying to install .net3.5?

thanks in advance

• Proposed as answer by TheRockRunner Thursday, December 06, 2012 10:32 PM
    Monday, December 26, 2011 8:16 AM
  • A.Attai,

Usually I check to see if .NET framework is installed before running the redistributable, that however is just to save time. I believe the redistributable is robust enough to detect that 3.5 is already installed and just exit. In any case I would turn logging on in a test environment and run the redistributable and read through the log file. It should let you know what happens.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:07 AM
  • I've come to a number of sites looking for a simple solution to a corrupted.net installation. I've tried all the cleaners and all utilities and even dared to make some of the regedit changes suggested above and elsewhere but none of them have worked. It has  simply been a wild goose chase.

In my case corruptions began because one of Microsoft's automatic updates failed. The security policy of the company I work for forces me to apply all updates. Much time was wasted looking for the solution to that failed update.  From then onwards, gradually, other components failed with mysterious errors, and finally applications which depended upon that framework also failed.

Why is it impossible to simply deinstall the entire.net framework and reinstall it from scratch?  And why is it impossible for Microsoft to create a simple utility which would do exactly that.  The .net framework is not new prototype software – real businesses use it every day, it's about time it matured.

Currently our only option is to completely the scrub the entire machine and reinstall the operating system.  Given that any attempt to use backups may simply reintroduce the same degenerative condition my company will be lucky if this only costs us five man days.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:03 PM
  • My .NET wasn't working, and I couldn't uninstall from Features, because it gave an error message. I ran ssfc /scannow but it didn't find anything wrong. My issue ended up being a missing machine.config file, which apparently ssfc doesn't catch. I solved it by copying the file from another workstation. 
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 2:10 PM