none
how to combine 2 .exe files into 1 .exe file.

Question

• hi,
    i would like to ask how can i combine 2 .exe files into 1 .exe file.
    for example,
    1) a.exe
    2) b.exe
    combine into ab.exe

a.exe must install first, after that b.exe will continue.

thanks
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 2:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• If B has not forms than make from B a dynamic DLL, but in the way you describe it, it are probably complete different forms.

Simply needs redesign. The way you do it is not from today anymore.

Success
    Cor
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:26 AM
  • If you are using any retail version of Visual Studio, try this article Create Setup project which also include multiple applications in one setup . This features is not available in Visual Studio Express version.

Also, there is installer class written in C#, you may convert the code to vb at http://www.carlosag.net/Tools/CodeTranslator/

kaymaf
    If that what you want, take it. If not, ignored it and no complain
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:40 AM
  • both of the .exe have everything in already. i just want to combine both of them up so that i can just pass one file to my friend. and the setup file(ab.exe) must run one after another.

thanks
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:47 AM
  • Hi,
    Using ILmerge you can merge the Exe in to sigle one.have a look at  this link
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=22914587-b4ad-4eae-87cf-b14ae6a939b0&displaylang=en
    and one more

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/csharpgeneral/thread/e06cc19f-0978-4c90-9bc2-3606cb135d78/
    Best Regards, C.Gnanadurai ----------------------- Please mark the post as answer if it is helpfull to you
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:58 AM
  • If this is only for deployment you might consider
    a) an MSI

or

b) If it is just to "pass to a friend" - winzip/winrar/7zip it.  Why complicate things.  If its just a friend tell him to download your archiver of choice and send him the archive.

c) If you really want to, a self extracting archive.  Winzip has one, 7zip is free and has one but is harder to learn.

Collin Sauve
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:21 PM
  • @ Collin Sauve  ; Stop proposed your own post as answer

kaymaf
    If that what you want, take it. If not, ignored it and no complain
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:37 PM
  • passing the zip files to my friend may be a good idea. but sometimes we may have some stupid friend who do not do things step by step.
    i need to install a.exe first and b.exe .
    by installing b.exe first, it cannot be run.
    so we need a step by step way to get it going..

buz_88
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:04 AM
  • With a 7zip self extracting installer, you can have it extract everything to a temp folder and then run a DOS batch file  that you write.

You could perhaps follow these instructions to create a 7zip SFX - (S)el(F) e(X)tracing archive

if you have experience writing dos batch files this shouldn't be too hard to write. 

alternately you could use an msi like others are suggesting above.

Collin Sauve
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:10 AM
  • still need to install a installer..
    i want something which does not need to install anything special to run as my "computer" has a very very small hard disk space.. FYI, i am using windows XP embedded..

buz_88

Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:38 AM
  • Do you mean your dev machine has XP embedded or do you mean your target machine has embeded

if its your dev machine... wow.  I don't quite know what to say other than get a real dev machine.

Collin Sauve
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:40 AM
  • Oh, and the 7zip installer is only 1mb.  Not sure how big it is after install
    Collin Sauve
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:42 AM
  • mine target machine is embedded.. i can't be writing using an embedded machine.. hehe..
    so i do not want to install other things in it.. need something short and simple to get it moving..
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:58 AM
  • With a 7zip SFX you do not need to install 7zip on the target machine.

SFX archives are by definition the solution to the chicken and the egg problem for archive utilities, see wikipedia
    Collin Sauve
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 4:00 AM