Issues with Express Registration and Activation

General discussion

• Now that Visual Basic 2005 and Visual Studio 2005 has shipped the final release, we have a new home for setup and registration issues for VB Express.

Please direct all setup, install/uninstall, and registration issues to this forum:

Installing and Registering Visual Studio Express Editions

Thanks,

Paul

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 6:57 PM

All replies

• Hi, After may tries, over many days, I was able to finally register (Monday), but I have not yet recieved an email with a link to the online books. Should I wait longer, or is there another way to access the online books?

Thanks much
    Bill
    Tuesday, May 10, 2005 8:49 PM
  • Hi Bill,
    You will receive your email with a link to the online books within 7-10 days of registering.  We know that this isn't the best experience, and we are working to make sure that we can send the benefits emails immediately upoin registering for the final release.

Sorry for any inconvenience and thanks for your patience,
    - Scott Currie [MSFT]
    Tuesday, May 10, 2005 10:13 PM
  • I'm getting the followuing error after I enter all of my information:

Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition Beta 2

We were unable to send your e-mail verification mail.

An unknown error occurred while processing your request. This is most likely due to a connection failure. Please try again. If you continue to have access problems or want to report other issues, please Contact Us.

Thursday, May 12, 2005 3:20 PM
  • Same thing only for VB express:

We were unable to send your e-mail verification mail.

An unknown error occurred while processing your request. This is most likely due to a connection failure. Please try again.
    Thursday, May 12, 2005 6:24 PM
  • It would be great if you could send the following information to vsrghlp@microsoft.com to aid in our investigation of this issue:

1.  URL where you get the error
    2.  Passport sign-in and email address entered for verification

You may also try going to the Microsoft Profile Center (http://profile.microsoft.com), sign-in with your Passport account and then verify that there is an email address on file.  If not, enter a valid one and go through the email verification process.  If that works, you should be able to go through the activation process in the Express product (Help -> Activate).  Just don't modify the email address on the registration question page :)

Thursday, May 12, 2005 11:00 PM
  • Thanks for the help - it seems that I was missing the email address in my profile, although when I initially set up the passport account, I did receive a confirmation email, so it never occurred to me to double check that.

That took care of it - thanks.

-John
    Monday, May 16, 2005 1:29 PM
  • Is it possible to register Visual Basic Express b 2.0, if you do not have an Internet connection?

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 3:24 PM
  • Is there any different way to register? I mean not via dialog in Visual 2005.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2005 11:54 AM
  • same problem here with visual basic express..
    25 days to go ..i have done everything to get this registered..

Saturday, May 21, 2005 3:13 AM
  • I tried the IE setting you suggested, but I continue to have the following problem:

When I try (many times) to get an activation key for vb.net 2005 express beta 2, I get...

Sign In to Microsoft with a Microsoft® Passport
    Error symbol The Microsoft Passport Network is unavailable from this site for one of the following reasons:
    • This site may be experiencing a problem.
    • The site may not be a member of the Passport Network.

You can:

• You can sign in or sign up at other sites on the Passport Network, or try again later at this site.
    ...The URL of the above is...

https://login.passport.net/ppsecure/uisecure.srf?lc=1033&id=42814

...FWIW, I can log in to Microsoft Passport Network.  Oddly, I can't log out successfully.
    Monday, May 30, 2005 3:13 AM
  • Hi, I have had a similar problem but have worked out what is wrong.

What you need to do is log into your .Net passport, and edit your profile. Re add your email address and save. You will receive an email asking you to confirm your email address. You must click on this link (link expires after x amout of time) to confirm your email.

Now launch VB Express and goto Help/Activate product. Click on the register now link and follow instructions, should work fine.

My problem was that I did not click on the confirm email address link sent to me with in the time limit.

Hope this helps.
    Wednesday, June 01, 2005 10:07 AM
  • I am having trouble with registration of all the express edition betas.

I can log into and out of .NET passport just fine but cannot update my email address in my profile.  I have tried so many times that I now get the following:

Pending limit exceeded

Our records indicate that you have exceeded your limit of verification e-mail messages. Check your Inbox to confirm that an e-mail message has already been sent. If you are unable to locate a verification e-mail message, please visit Contact Us to request assistance.

I never get an email in my inbox from the system to verify my email address and it is a valid email address.

I get this same error when I try to register my express edition beta programs of course.

I have had a round with contact us as well with no results so I am posting hear for any ideas.
    Wednesday, June 01, 2005 7:38 PM
  • Paul,

Your descriptions about what needs to be done are not very accurate and maybe it is a difference between versions, but still I would have hoped for clearer and more accurate descriptions.

IE menu says "Internet Options" not "Options" and it is a check box for me and there is no option to click okay.

The Internet Explorer is the only and default browser on my system.  The check box has already been selected.  I did uncheck the apply exit then go in again check it and then apply it.  None of that helped with the product activation.  I completely restarted my system and redid all of these steps and nothing worked.

No matter what I do or how I cannot register yet everything is still exactly the same !!! 

Please HELP !!!

Michael
    Friday, June 03, 2005 4:29 PM
  • I am still having the issue I described on 5/29.  I have 12 days left.  HELP!!!
    Wednesday, June 08, 2005 7:13 PM
  • I've wasted at least ten hours trying to get an activation key for VB.net 2005 express beta 2.  I've even deleted my Passport account and set up a new one.  I've asked for help here twice and in e-mail help twice and gotten no response.  THE PROBLEM:  Every time I click the Register now link in VB, I get:

Sign In to Microsoft with a Microsoft® Passport Help
    Error symbol The Microsoft Passport Network is unavailable from this site for one of the following reasons:
    • This site may be experiencing a problem.
    • The site may not be a member of the Passport Network.

You can:

• You can sign in or sign up at other sites on the Passport Network, or try again later at this site.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 1:31 AM
  • Hello,I'm not sure if I'm in the right place to post this but here it goes.I have downloaded and activated the VS Beta,the Net.Framework Beta,Visual Web Developer 2005 Beta.I was sent three CD's from Microsoft,Team Foundation Server,Visual Studio Team Suite,and SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition Community Technology Preview which say's "it has a 365-day Limit on use.What I want to know is, do I have to uninstall what I have downloaded, or just install what I was sent? I'm a little confuse as to what to do.Please advice soon.
                       Thank You,
                             Yappo..
    Friday, June 17, 2005 10:46 PM
  • Hi,

I've just aquired the activation code for VC++ but as I read the activation has to be done on the same machine as the installed software.

I haven't checked the activation code yet, but I have installed the software in a different machine, which is not connected to the Internet.

Given the above, will I be able to activate the software ?

Thanks you

Toutouni
    Thursday, July 14, 2005 6:58 AM
  • Has anyone answered this question?  This is very frustrating as I have tried watching several webcasts and am now trying to get the Enterprise library, but can't get anything to get past this page.  Again, I am not getting any verification e-mail from Microsoft.

Will someone please respond to this?
    Wednesday, August 03, 2005 2:09 PM
  • This question has been answered, but I am having a problem with adding a data source to Visual Studio 2005 and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael
    Wednesday, August 03, 2005 3:31 PM
  • I have the same trouble with registration.
    Did you get any answer from Microsoft?

Yuri.

Friday, August 12, 2005 3:31 PM
  • For me after 25 days it finally started to work.  No explanation.  Just before the deadline.

Michael
    Saturday, August 13, 2005 4:00 AM
  • Hi,
    I have a question when it says when you register, it says you get to use it for an unlimited time does that mean more than the 365 day or only the 365 days?
    Sunday, August 21, 2005 4:57 AM
  • I have no idea.

Michael
    Monday, August 22, 2005 8:10 PM
  •  Scott Currie wrote:
    Hi Bill,
    You will receive your email with a link to the online books within 7-10 days of registering.  We know that this isn't the best experience, and we are working to make sure that we can send the benefits emails immediately upoin registering for the final release.

Sorry for any inconvenience and thanks for your patience,
    - Scott Currie [MSFT]

Hi Scott I recived my email with links to the my learning center But when i try to log on i keep geting "There was some problem while completing your request. Please try after some time" is this an issues with the web site today ?
    Wednesday, August 24, 2005 5:10 PM
  • I just received an alert for this thread addressed to Bill.

This issue has been resolved for me.

Thank you.

Michael
    Wednesday, August 24, 2005 5:36 PM
  • I had no problems registering and activating my VB Express Edition Beta 2, but I have not received any email with community details or links to the learning centre, which as a comparative newbie to programming I would very much like to use. I think I registered about a fortnight ago, though I don't recall exactly.

Could this be because I previously had a Beta 1 edition installed on my PC which I registered previously? And in this case or otherwise, is there anything I should do?

Many Thanks,
    Bonnie
    Friday, September 02, 2005 1:38 PM
  • Bonnie.

I was not able to install BETA 2 in the same machine as BETA 1.

I don't even know how you managed it.

I had to get a completely new and different computer to install BETA 2.

Michael
    Friday, September 02, 2005 7:06 PM
  • I got all my e-mails and everything appears to be OK but when I go to Benefits hyperlink in the Thank you e-mail, I get this:

Error: The page you have requested is unavailable or you do not have access.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005 5:30 PM
  • My problem is that I have Visual Studio 2005 VB Express Edition installed on my computer and everytime I go back and try to register Visual Studio 2005 VDW Express Edition it keeps on going into the first registration area and giving me error messages saying I have already registered.

Michael
    Tuesday, November 08, 2005 5:58 PM
  • My problem is that I have Visual Studio 2005 VB Express Edition installed on my computer and everytime I go back and try to register Visual Studio 2005 VDW Express Edition it keeps on going into the first registration area and giving me error messages saying I have already registered.

I currently have only 15 days left to register.

Michael
    Tuesday, November 08, 2005 6:00 PM
  • When I register and fill out the form it sends a verification e-mail to my inbox and says my address has been verified but I select continue but I get no activation key.
    Friday, November 11, 2005 6:40 AM
  • It Says it sent verification e-mail but i don't get anything infact it said limit pending or something. I never got an e-mail and when i do click continue i get a bunch of info about downloading what i already have...
    Saturday, November 12, 2005 11:21 PM
  • same here .....
    Sunday, November 13, 2005 10:25 AM
  • Hi -

A new forum has been created especially for this class of issue.  Please join us in the discussion there:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=24&SiteID=1

Friday, December 16, 2005 2:45 AM