VS 2010 Crash while opening XAML file from Solution Explorer

Question

• Hello

All of sudden VS 2010 start crashing when open xaml file from Solution explorer and i got following message

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 has stopped working

Windows can check online for solution to the problem and try to restart Program.

this is entry in Event Viewer

Faulting application name: devenv.exe, version: 10.0.30319.1, time stamp: 0x4ba1fab3
    Faulting module name: agcore.dll, version: 4.0.60531.0, time stamp: 0x4de47967
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000fe4b4
    Faulting process id: 0x1c64
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cc300c51b1f6f2
    Faulting application path: c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
    Faulting module path: c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Silverlight\4.0.60531.0\agcore.dll
    Report Id: 470faf86-9c00-11e0-8015-000c297ad8d8

I have tried to repair vs 2010 also uninstall and install vs 2010 but nothing worked

Please advise

Thanks 

Ronak

Thanks Ron
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 12:21 PM

Answers

• Hello, I had this problem. Solution was to unregister system.windows.dll from the GAC.
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 9:10 PM

All replies

• I am having the same issue on both of my dev machines and my collegue has the same problem.  Is this a problem with the latest Silverlight Developer Runtime (4.0.60531.0)?  I am running this version on all 3 machines and now cannot open XAML files on any of them without VS crashing.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 2:56 PM
  • Can you attach either VS or another debugger to an instance of VS and then repro the crash and post what you see under the debugger (i.e. an exception and the callstack with mixed mode debugging enabled, Just My Code disabled and pointing your debugger at the public Microsoft symbol server)?  If you use Windbg you can also capture a dump of the crash which would be useful in diagnosing the issue.

Ryan

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:16 PM
  • Can anyone share a link for the 4.0.60310.0 developer runtime version ?

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:54 PM
  • I have managed to resolve the issue by rolling back to a previous version of Silverlight.  I needed to remove the developer runtime, the tookit and the Silverlight 4 SDK and I then re-installed the previous version of the toolkit from a copy we have on disk.  This is the version I now have installed: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=298170d6-567c-4b90-9917-490ffcddba87&displayLang=en

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:46 AM
  • Thanks KinWorld but i am running Silverlight 4 SDK Version 4.0.50826.0 and Silverlight Version 4.0.60531.0

can you please share your silverlight SDK version ?

i have spent 4 days to figure out this problem with no clue at all now as a work around i am editing xaml in Expression Blend

Thanks

Ronak

Thanks Ron
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 5:02 PM
  • Yup  i think that's problem i have installed update for Silverlight(4.0.60531.0) on 6/16/2011 and catch problem on 17th On Friday

Thanks

Ronak

Thanks Ron
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 5:05 PM
  • Thanks ryan for your Quick reply but when try to debug in New instance of VS 2010 i got following message

Unhandled exception at 0x602ae4b4 in devenv.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

please advise how can i debug

Thanks

Ronak

Thanks Ron
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 6:41 PM
  • What is the stack?  That may well be the problem, a null ref exception would crash VS if it was not along some path that would guard against such an occurance (though really, null ref is ALWAYS a programming bug, so guarding against it is probably the wrong thing to do).

Ryan

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 6:51 PM
  • I have two machines, both with
       Microsoft Silverlight  version 4.0.60531.0
       Microsoft Silverlight 4 SDK  version 4.0.50826.0

Only one of them has developed this problem in the last few days.

I attached a VS2010 debugger as per Ryan Molden's suggestion, opened a XAML file in the target instance of VS201 to trigger the crash and stepped through the "normal" exceptions until I got a null reference exception. This was the last exception caught before the "Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 has stopped working" message:

System.NullReferenceException occurred
     Message=Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
     Source=System.Windows
     StackTrace:
        at MS.Internal.ManagedTypeInfoProviderRPInvokes.HelperTryGetAssemblyToken(String inAssemblyName, XamlAssemblyToken& outAssemblyToken)
     InnerException: 

I pointed my debugger at the public Microsoft symbol server as far as I could tell, but I still got "No Source Available".

Here's the stack trace, just pasted from the VS2010 "Call Stack" window.  I note in the stack trace some apparent garbage characters in the inAssemblyName argument. These characters changed from one crash to the next.

>	System.Windows.dll!MS.Internal.ManagedTypeInfoProviderRPInvokes.HelperTryGetAssemblyToken(string inAssemblyName = "ူ抗Ẹ抢", out MS.Internal.XamlAssemblyToken outAssemblyToken = {MS.Internal.XamlAssemblyToken}) + 0x58 bytes	
     	System.Windows.dll!MS.Internal.ManagedTypeInfoProviderRPInvokes.ResolveAssembly(string inAssemblyName = "ူ抗Ẹ抢", out uint retValue = 0) + 0x5e bytes	
     	[Native to Managed Transition]	
     	[Managed to Native Transition]	
     	Microsoft.Expression.Platform.Silverlight.dll!Microsoft.Expression.Platform.Silverlight.Host.SilverlightControlSite.LoadRuntime() + 0x3d bytes	
     	Microsoft.Expression.Platform.Silverlight.dll!Microsoft.Expression.Platform.Silverlight.Host.SilverlightControl.LoadRuntime() + 0x23 bytes	
     	Microsoft.Expression.Platform.Silverlight.dll!Microsoft.Expression.Platform.Silverlight.SilverlightDomainManager.CreateDomainCore() + 0x1e2 bytes	
     	Microsoft.Expression.Platform.Silverlight.dll!Microsoft.Expression.Platform.Silverlight.SilverlightDomainManager.CreateDomainInitial() + 0x30 bytes	
     	Microsoft.Expression.Platform.Silverlight.dll!Microsoft.Expression.Platform.Silverlight.SilverlightPlatformCreator.Initialize() + 0x1b bytes	
     	Microsoft.Windows.Design.Platform.Silverlight.dll!MS.Internal.Platform.SilverlightPlatformImpl.Initialize() + 0x96b bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Xaml.dll!MS.Internal.Package.VSIsolationProviderService.RemoteReferenceProxy.EnsurePlatformInitialized() + 0x394 bytes	
     	[Appdomain Transition]	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Xaml.dll!MS.Internal.Package.VSIsolationProviderService.CreateIsolationProvider(string originalIdentifier = null, bool isGlobal = false, string identity, System.Runtime.Versioning.FrameworkName frameworkName = {System.Runtime.Versioning.FrameworkName}, System.Reflection.AssemblyName appAssemblyName = {System.Reflection.AssemblyName}, Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsHierarchy hierarchy = {System.__ComObject}) + 0x2f2 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Xaml.dll!MS.Internal.Package.VSIsolationProviderService.CreateIsolationProviderWorker(string identifier, System.IServiceProvider provider) + 0xdb bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Xaml.dll!MS.Internal.Package.VSIsolationProviderService.CreateIsolationProvider(string identifier, System.IServiceProvider provider) + 0x46 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Xaml.dll!MS.Internal.Providers.VSDesignerContext.CreateIsolationProvider(System.IServiceProvider provider, Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsHierarchy hierarchy) + 0x76 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Xaml.dll!MS.Internal.Package.DesignerPackage.VsXamlLanguageServiceHost.CreateIsolationProviderFromBuffer(Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.IVsTextLines textLines) + 0x3e bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Xaml.dll!MS.Internal.XamlLanguageService.VsXamlLanguageService.GetIsolationProvider(Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.IVsTextLines textLines = {Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.VsTextBufferAdapter}) + 0x8c bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Xaml.dll!MS.Internal.XamlLanguageService.VsXamlLanguageService.GetLanguageService(Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.IVsTextLines textLines) + 0x6b bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Xaml.dll!MS.Internal.XamlLanguageService.VsXamlLanguageService.CreateSource(Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.IVsTextLines textLines = {Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.VsTextBufferAdapter}) + 0x2d bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Package.LanguageService.10.0.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Package.LanguageService.GetOrCreateSource(Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.IVsTextLines buffer = {Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.VsTextBufferAdapter}) + 0x83 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Package.LanguageService.10.0.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Package.LanguageService.GetCodeWindowManager(Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.IVsCodeWindow codeWindow = {Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.VsCodeWindowAdapter}, out Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.IVsCodeWindowManager mgr = null) + 0x1bc bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.VsCodeWindowAdapter.OnTextBufferAdapter_NewLanguageService(ref System.Guid sidLangServiceID) + 0x81 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.VsCodeWindowAdapter.OnPrimaryView_FullyInitialized() + 0x65 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.VsCodeWindowAdapter.PrimaryView_TextViewHostUpdated(object sender, System.EventArgs e) + 0x6a bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.VsTextViewAdapter.Init_InitializeWpfTextView() + 0x5d9 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.VsTextViewAdapter.Init_OnActivation() + 0x19 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.VsTextViewAdapter.ShimHostNowVisible(object sender, System.EventArgs e) + 0xe bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.VsTextViewAdapter.TextViewShimHost.OnLayoutUpdated(object sender, System.EventArgs e) + 0x5a bytes	
     	PresentationCore.dll!System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.fireLayoutUpdateEvent() + 0xf5 bytes	
     	PresentationCore.dll!System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.UpdateLayout() + 0x8b8 bytes	
     	PresentationCore.dll!System.Windows.UIElement.UpdateLayout() + 0x16 bytes	
     	PresentationCore.dll!System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.SetLayoutSize() + 0x148 bytes	
     	PresentationCore.dll!System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.RootVisualInternal.set(System.Windows.Media.Visual value) + 0x10e bytes	
     	PresentationCore.dll!System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.RootVisual.set(System.Windows.Media.Visual value) + 0x1e bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.UIElementDocumentObject.ConvertToHWNDSource(System.IntPtr parentHwnd) + 0xf1 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.AttachToOwnerDockedParent() + 0x67 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.ShowOwnerDockedChild() + 0x1a bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.ShowInternal(Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.ShowFlags showFlags) + 0x287 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.ShowNoActivate.AnonymousMethod__27() + 0x2d bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.10.0.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.ErrorHandler.CallWithCOMConvention(System.Func<int> method) + 0x38 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.ShowNoActivate() + 0x37 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.MarshalingWindowFrame.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsWindowFrame.ShowNoActivate.AnonymousMethod__7b() + 0x5 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.10.0.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.ThreadHelper.Invoke<int>(System.Func<int> method) + 0x45 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.MarshalingWindowFrame.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsWindowFrame.ShowNoActivate() + 0x43 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Xaml.dll!MS.Internal.Designer.EditorTab.Show() + 0x4d bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Xaml.dll!MS.Internal.Designer.TabbedEditorUI.ShowTab(MS.Internal.Designer.EditorTab newTab, bool isTopTab) + 0x23 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Xaml.dll!MS.Internal.Designer.TabbedEditorUI.TopEditorTab.set(MS.Internal.Designer.EditorTab value) + 0x7 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Xaml.dll!MS.Internal.Designer.TabbedEditorPane.EnsureTabs(bool activateTextView) + 0x691 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Xaml.dll!MS.Internal.Designer.TabbedEditorPane.XamlCodeWindow.get() + 0x31 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Xaml.dll!MS.Internal.Designer.TabbedEditorPane.Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.IVsCodeWindow.GetPrimaryView(out Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.IVsTextView ppView = null) + 0xb bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.Rdt.NotifyOnBeforeShow(uint cookie, bool firstShow, Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsWindowFrame frame) + 0x4b bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.NotifyFrameShowing(uint cookie, bool firstShow) + 0x2e bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.ShowInternal(Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.ShowFlags showFlags = Activate) + 0xf2 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.Show.AnonymousMethod__26() + 0xa bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.10.0.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.ErrorHandler.CallWithCOMConvention(System.Func<int> method) + 0x38 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.Show() + 0x37 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.MarshalingWindowFrame.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsWindowFrame.Show.AnonymousMethod__7a() + 0x5 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.10.0.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.ThreadHelper.Invoke<int>(System.Func<int> method) + 0x45 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.MarshalingWindowFrame.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsWindowFrame.Show() + 0x43 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Silverlight.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Silverlight.SLProject.CmdOpen(object sender, System.EventArgs e) + 0xe4 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.10.0.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.OleMenuCommand.Invoke(object inArg, System.IntPtr outArg, Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop.OLECMDEXECOPT options) + 0x50 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.10.0.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.OleMenuCommandService.Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop.IOleCommandTarget.Exec(ref System.Guid guidGroup, uint nCmdId, uint nCmdExcept, System.IntPtr pIn, System.IntPtr vOut) + 0x156 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Silverlight.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Silverlight.FlavoredProjectBase.Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop.IOleCommandTarget.Exec(ref System.Guid pguidCmdGroup, uint nCmdID, uint nCmdexecopt, System.IntPtr pvaIn, System.IntPtr pvaOut) + 0x1b bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Silverlight.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Silverlight.SLProject.ExecCommand(uint itemid = 306680112, ref System.Guid pguidCmdGroup = {System.Guid}, uint nCmdID = 261, uint nCmdexecopt = 0, System.IntPtr pvaIn = 0, System.IntPtr pvaOut = 0) + 0x20 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Silverlight.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Silverlight.FlavoredProjectBase.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsUIHierarchy.ExecCommand(uint itemid, ref System.Guid pguidCmdGroup, uint nCmdID, uint nCmdexecopt, System.IntPtr pvaIn, System.IntPtr pvaOut) + 0x43 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.DocumentObjectSite.Exec(ref System.Guid pguidCmdGroup = {System.Guid}, uint nCmdID = 261, uint nCmdexecopt = 0, System.IntPtr pvaIn = 0, System.IntPtr pvaOut = 0) + 0x82 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.Exec(ref System.Guid pguidCmdGroup, uint nCmdID, uint nCmdexecopt, System.IntPtr pvaIn, System.IntPtr pvaOut) + 0x4f bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.10.0.dll!Microsoft.Internal.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.DataSource.Invoke(string verb, object pvaIn, out object pvaOut) + 0x21 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.UI.Internal.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.VsCommand.Execute(object parameter) + 0x29 bytes	
     	PresentationFramework.dll!MS.Internal.Commands.CommandHelpers.CriticalExecuteCommandSource(System.Windows.Input.ICommandSource commandSource, bool userInitiated) + 0x9f bytes	
     	PresentationFramework.dll!System.Windows.Controls.MenuItem.InvokeClickAfterRender(object arg) + 0x62 bytes	
     	WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate callback, object args, int numArgs) + 0x53 bytes	
     	WindowsBase.dll!MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(object source = {System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher}, System.Delegate method, object args, int numArgs, System.Delegate catchHandler = null) + 0x42 bytes	
     	WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl() + 0x8d bytes	
     	WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(object state) + 0x38 bytes	
     	mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(object userData) + 0x51 bytes	
     	mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state) + 0x6a bytes	
     	mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state, bool ignoreSyncCtx) + 0x7e bytes	
     	mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state) + 0x2c bytes	
     	WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke() + 0x68 bytes	
     	WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue() + 0x15e bytes	
     	WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(System.IntPtr hwnd, int msg, System.IntPtr wParam, System.IntPtr lParam, ref bool handled) + 0x63 bytes	
     	WindowsBase.dll!MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(System.IntPtr hwnd = 1901950, int msg = 49588, System.IntPtr wParam = 0, System.IntPtr lParam = 0, ref bool handled = false) + 0xbe bytes	
     	WindowsBase.dll!MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(object o) + 0x7d bytes	
     	WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate callback, object args, int numArgs) + 0x53 bytes	
     	WindowsBase.dll!MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(object source = {System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher}, System.Delegate method, object args, int numArgs, System.Delegate catchHandler = null) + 0x42 bytes	
     	WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority priority, System.TimeSpan timeout, System.Delegate method, object args, int numArgs) + 0xb4 bytes	
     	WindowsBase.dll!MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(System.IntPtr hwnd = 1901950, int msg = 49588, System.IntPtr wParam = 0, System.IntPtr lParam = 0) + 0x104 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowManagerService.PushMessageLoopOnContextMenuTrackingComponent.AnonymousMethod__72(object sender, Microsoft.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.OleComponentSupport.PreTranslateMessageEventArgs args = {Microsoft.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.OleComponentSupport.PreTranslateMessageEventArgs}) + 0x58 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.10.0.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.OleComponentSupport.OleComponent.FPreTranslateMessageCore(Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop.MSG[] pMsg) + 0xeb bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.10.0.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.OleComponentSupport.OleComponent.Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop.IOleComponent.FPreTranslateMessage(Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop.MSG[] pMsg) + 0x1c bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowManagerService.PushMessageLoopOnContextMenuTrackingComponent() + 0x286 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Silverlight.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Silverlight.SLProject.ExecCommand(uint itemid, ref System.Guid pguidCmdGroup, uint nCmdID, uint nCmdexecopt, System.IntPtr pvaIn, System.IntPtr pvaOut) + 0x48 bytes	
     	Microsoft.VisualStudio.Silverlight.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Silverlight.FlavoredProjectBase.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsUIHierarchy.ExecCommand(uint itemid, ref System.Guid pguidCmdGroup, uint nCmdID, uint nCmdexecopt, System.IntPtr pvaIn, System.IntPtr pvaOut) + 0x43 bytes	

Hope this helps. This is the only thread or article I can find that seems to be discussing this issue anywhere on the internet.

Mike Wiese

Mike Wiese
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:16 AM
  • you right mike there is no much information about this problem on web.

Thanks Ron
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 11:07 AM
  • Ryan in my case i start getting this problem once i installed latest update for silverlight.

no matter which silverlight xaml file i open it crash

Thanks

Ronak

Thanks Ron
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 11:09 AM
  • Hi Ron,

Could you let me know the version of MSXML6.DLL? The default location is at C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64\MSXML6.DLL.

Thanks.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:08 PM
  • FWIW, on my broken machine, MSXML.DLL is version 6.30.7601.17514
    On my working machine it is 6.30.7600.16723

As a test I copied the older version (plus the associated resource file, msxml6r.dll) onto my broken machine (which took a bit of doing, the article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-uk helped a lot)

Unfortunately, rolling back to the earlier version did not fix the crash.

Regards,

Mike

Mike Wiese
    Friday, June 24, 2011 3:06 AM
  • Hi mike,

is there any help, if we reinstall the VS?

Yi

Yi Feng Li [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, June 24, 2011 9:04 AM
  • HI Yi

nop reinstall or repair of VS did not work for me

Thanks

Ronak

Thanks Ron
    Friday, June 24, 2011 12:23 PM
  • hi Rob same as Mike 6.30.7601.17514

Thanks

Ronak

Thanks Ron
    Friday, June 24, 2011 12:27 PM
  • HI Mike how did u rollback Latest Update for Silverlight to old one ?

please advise so i can get it working

Thanks

Ronak

Thanks Ron
    Friday, June 24, 2011 12:27 PM
  • Yi - I had the same experience as Ron, I blew away my whole VS2010 installation + Silverlight development stack and rebuilt it.  It did not fix the problem.

Regards,

Mike

Mike Wiese
    Friday, June 24, 2011 1:54 PM
  • Ron - I'm afraid I haven't got it working yet. I don't know where to get old versions of Silverlight. I wish I did. The link posted by KinWorld above points to the current version, which is (we think) the problem.

As a workaround, I'm now opening *.xaml files with the "XML (Text) Editor" rather than the "Automatic Editor Selector (XML)". I did this by right-clicking a XAML file, choosing "Open With..." and in the resultant dialog, setting the "XML (Text) Editor" as the default editor for XAML files. But it's a crappy workaround - I no longer get any intellisense, and my speed of development is seriously impaired.

I still have the problem - if I try to open a XAML file with the "Automatic Editor Selector (XML)" is the get same old VS2010 crash.

If Microsoft had bought out an update that broke everybody's Silverlight dev environment then the net would be melting down with righteous fury. But it's not, so it looks like we are on our own here.  So I have a couple of questions:

- What video card & drivers are you using? - I'm using NVidia graphics driver version 275.33. (saw an article somewhere suggesting there may be a relationship, and I'm trying to find common factors among victims of this bug)

- Are you able to open entity models (*.edmx files) - I can't, I get the same sort of VS2010 crash.

Mike Wiese
    Friday, June 24, 2011 2:14 PM
  • For what it's worth, I have 2 systems that are both using the same Visual Studio and Silverlight versions as mentioned above. One (Desktop/Server running Server 2008 x64) is broken and the other (Laptop running Windows 7 x64) is still working correctly.

I'm also trying to look for differences that explains why the Windows 7 system is working and the other is broken.

I see a few minor differences in the number of .NET, Silverlight, and Visual Studio updates installed between the systems, but I believe those are OS-specific. I've kept both systems current with Windows Updates.

Mike - perhaps your suggestion about the nVidia driver is worth exploring. I'll dig into drivers as my next step.

This is pretty bad for all Silverlight (Visual Studio) developers. Working without the XAML designer and intellisense in Visual Studio is VERY counterproductive!

Edit:

Just updated to latest nVidia drivers (GForce 8600 GTS) - 275.33 and still experiencing crash.

Verified that using the EDMX designer does not cause crash (although the EDMX was new with only one hand-created entity).

Verified that creating a new project using the Silverlight Application template still results in crash when editing MainPage.xaml.

• Edited by MarkJKY Friday, June 24, 2011 4:51 PM Added newly checked test results.
    Friday, June 24, 2011 2:45 PM
  • Mike

i am running Sever 2008 R2 in Vmware as i work on sharepoint 2010 so its say VMware SVGA 3D with version 7.14.1.42 and i host OS is running ATI Radeon HD 3450 with version 8.680.0.0

I dont know about any entity model files as i havent worked with it.

i use Expression  blend to modify xaml file which is great tool

Thanks

Ronak

Thanks Ron
    Friday, June 24, 2011 2:59 PM
  • I am having the same exact issue with the same versions you have mentioned above.  Hopefully we can get a fix on this.
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 5:51 AM
  • If Microsoft had bought out an update that broke everybody's Silverlight dev environment then the net would be melting down with righteous fury. But it's not, so it looks like we are on our own here.  So I have a couple of questions:

Mike Wiese

Guys, looks like we're not on our own here, Team Silverlight is already on the case, they are aware of this issue and working towards a fix... please see my ms connect bug here: http://connect.microsoft.com/Expression/feedback/details/675179/expression-blend-4-sp-1-crashes 

Adrian 

Adrian
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 12:50 PM
  • VS 2010 SP1 crashes on opening the program (no solution openned) - it's trying to load

toolbox content from package 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.IDE.Toolbox.ControlsInstaller.TooboxInstallerPackage' {2C298B35-07DA-45F1-96A3-BE55D91C8D7A}

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Application Error
    Date:          26/06/2011 19:08:10
    Event ID:      1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A

Description:
    Faulting application name: devenv.exe, version: 10.0.40219.1, time stamp: 0x4d5f2a73
    Faulting module name: agcore.dll, version: 4.0.60531.0, time stamp: 0x4de47967
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000fe4b4
    Faulting process id: 0x21f0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cc342bfe3f4cd9
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
    Faulting module path: c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Silverlight\4.0.60531.0\agcore.dll
    Report Id: 4005016e-a01f-11e0-adb4-005056c00008
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Application Error" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>100</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-06-26T18:08:10.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>547909</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>m4400</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>devenv.exe</Data>
        <Data>10.0.40219.1</Data>
        <Data>4d5f2a73</Data>
        <Data>agcore.dll</Data>
        <Data>4.0.60531.0</Data>
        <Data>4de47967</Data>
        <Data>c0000005</Data>
        <Data>000fe4b4</Data>
        <Data>21f0</Data>
        <Data>01cc342bfe3f4cd9</Data>
        <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe</Data>
        <Data>c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Silverlight\4.0.60531.0\agcore.dll</Data>
        <Data>4005016e-a01f-11e0-adb4-005056c00008</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Sunday, June 26, 2011 6:19 PM
  • This link may be highly relevant

http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/p/230517/562159.aspx 

"
    "Microsoft Silverlight 4 Tools for Visual Studio 2010 is included in Visual Studio 2010 SP1. This adds support for targeting Silverlight 4 in the Silverlight designer and project system."

The same is true for RIA Services; no need to install any of that afterwards."

Martin

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:22 AM
  • I had this problem for a few days since I installed some updates for windows (both XP and 7, in the case of 7 it was the service pack). I managed to trace it to one of my functions which was opening a file stream (Stream Writer) - in my actual program, this was opening the file in the correct relative directory (I.e. ./logs/file.txt), however opening a xaml file (any xaml file) seems to have been trying to open the file, but ignoring the working directory and trying to open it in c:\windows\system32. The error was "unable to create BaseClass, no write access to c:\windows\system32\log.txt" (my controls inherit from BaseClass, but the file stream code is not part of this class). I have no idea why the xaml files are trying to run this code through the designer, or why it is using this directory (relative to a dll perhaps?)

Anyway, this seems an odd random fix but someone with a better brain might know why it works (assuming it works for someone else?)

--

Phil.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:18 PM
  • I am having the same problem. VS 2010 Premium Edition.

XAML is crashing after some automatic update from Microsoft. It was working fine  before the update.

Before the update,I pushed the code up to UIT.

After automatic update ,nearly 17 security patches  , XAML start crashing,if i try to open in Visual studio.

But , i can open the XAML in expression  blend, do the changes , come back to VS 2010 and build and test.

I am able to run the application and see the data's in Debug Modee or in release mode.

Balman

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:37 PM
  • Hello, I had this problem. Solution was to unregister system.windows.dll from the GAC.
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 9:10 PM
  • Thanks uberDarryl!  That has fixed it for me.
    • Proposed as answer by KinWorld Friday, July 08, 2011 2:16 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by KinWorld Friday, July 08, 2011 2:17 PM
    Friday, July 08, 2011 2:16 PM
  • Thanks uberDarry it worked for me too

Thanks Ron
    Friday, July 08, 2011 5:27 PM
  • None of my 2010 VS apps would open nor my Expression apps.

I had installed Win7sp1 first, then upgraded all my dev apps a few weeks later. None worked. All crashed when opening, just after gui displayed.

I uninstalled Win7sp1, then they worked again.

I reinstalled Win7sp1, still working.

Running Ultimate64.

Rick Hantz
    Tuesday, August 02, 2011 11:26 PM
  • This worked for me too. Thanks uberDarryl!
    Tuesday, August 09, 2011 7:25 PM
  • I was having the same issue with XAML editor in VS2010. removing System.Windows.dll from GAC resolved the issue. Thanks uberDarryl!
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 6:43 PM
  • That's brilliant! Solved the problem. Thanks for your solution!

Sundar

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 11:57 AM
  • Just another data point...but I was having the same issue...updated the 17 month old video driver and that has seemed to fix the issue...the video card on the machine with the issue is an nVidia NVS 5100M
    • Edited by w4ik Friday, September 16, 2011 12:36 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 12:31 PM
  • I found that registering the System.Windows assembly found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Silverlight\4.0.60531.0 as opposed to the one found in the SDK folder worked for me.
    • Proposed as answer by vk_ravikumar Friday, December 23, 2011 1:41 PM
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 3:01 PM
  • Finally... After reinstalls and days of trying to fix this! 

Uninstalling System.Windows from the assembly dir allowed me to open xaml files but I got the "Could not load file or assembly 'System.Windows, Version=2.0.5.0" error when running the app.

Installing C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Silverlight\4.0.60531.0\System.Windows.dll instead of the Reference Assemblies dll allows me to open xaml files and I do not get the "Could not load" error when running the app.

Reference Assemblies.. System.Windows.DLL 1442KB 8/26/2010 Ver 4.0.50826.0 - crashes 2010 when opening xaml

The other is obviously Ver 4.0.60531.0 - does not crash 2010

This seems to be a mismatch in the dlls in the Reference Assemblies dir and the Silverlight dir. For some reason I have 4.0.50826.0 dlls in the Reference Assemblies dir???

Does anyone know how to update the Reference Assemblies dir? All of my projects references are to the Reference Assemblies dir and I want to use the newer versions as found in the 4.0.60531.0 dir.

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 3:57 PM
  • Hey i did that and got it worked. But thats not why i am writing this as already you've received many thanks and vote-up for your good work :).

i have few questions and need you to help me understand.

1) If we arent explicitly add that into GAC, means some app/windows should ve added that dll into the GAC for some reason. why or how?

2) why do we need to remove that "system.windows.dll" from GAC?

I tried this step: once i removed, i tested opening XAML files in VS2010, it worked. So went back to the location of where that dll resides, used VS2010 command prompt and added back that dll to the GAC. re-tested again by opening XAML files in VS2010. closed the VS2010, re-launched and opened some more xaml files and it worked!!! i am lucky so far!

So, why it failed earlier which is working so far! if the problem was the conflict of the version, cant we update the GAC?

Aravind
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 7:42 PM
  • Dear uberDarryl,

I removed System.Windows.dll from GAC and it worked but now its giving build error for System.Windows.dll.

I added the reference from Silverlight v4.0 directroy but still don't work. The build error comes when I use Silverlight Chart.

Any idea???

Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:46 PM
  • Hey Junoti, many many thanks, this is real solution, since we cannot permanently remove System.Windows from GAC since many application use it directly or indirectly.
    Friday, December 23, 2011 1:43 PM
  • I solved this issue without uninstalling VS10 or anything. I just install the VISUAL STUDIO 2010 SP1 and that solved my issue. 100% works!

My Issues that were solved after installing Visual Studio 2010 SP1:

System.nullException or Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

xaml not loading or xaml crush.

Hope that help to everyone. :)

Friday, January 27, 2012 8:11 AM
  • Thanks!!!

This solution works for me. You saved my lot of time.

Monday, January 30, 2012 6:40 PM
  • Uninstalling VS2010 and SP1, resinstalling both -- no luck. Unregistering System.Windows.dll and re-registering -- no luck. Uninstalling all Silverlight-related tools and reinstalling -- still no luck.

17 days left on my trial. Hope I can get it fixed before it runs out. Definitely doesn't leave me with the desire to pay for this product.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 5:16 AM
  • You dont need to uninstall VS2010 and any of its components. Just unregister the system.windows.dll from GAC.

DONT REGISTER IT AGAIN.

from your reply, you seemed to re-register it back. not required. You do have another chance :-)

Aravind

Saturday, February 11, 2012 7:07 AM
  • You dont need to uninstall VS2010 and any of its components. Just unregister the system.windows.dll from GAC.

DONT REGISTER IT AGAIN.

from your reply, you seemed to re-register it back. not required. You do have another chance :-)

Aravind

When I try to unregister this assembly with this command: gacutil -u System.Windows
    I get the following message:

"No assemblies found matching: System.Windows

Number of assemblies uninstalled = 0

Number of failures = 0"

And I still can't open the xaml file in Visual Studio. Can you help me?

Monday, February 20, 2012 8:21 PM
  • Hmmm... just try open this. type "assembly" in Run command n search for "System.windows". its nothing but visual operation of what you did through command. But we'll search and then manually remove from there. If its not found, huh. well let me ask, what is your project or what kind of projects you use and is ur VS2010 is with SP1 and framework 4.0, silverlight versions all please? can you list them up? Sometimes, it might be an alternative or workaround to open your XAML by right click -> "open with..." and use plain XML editor option. Also, set your VS2010 options -> Editor -> XAML -> always open in XAML mode.

Let me know your feedback and hope it would help you.

Aravind

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:16 PM
  • Couple of days ago, my system updated the .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profiles, and I got a tip that maybe it caused the problem. And it's right! I removed all of these updates and here you are. Everything's working fine.

By the way I use VS2010 with SP1, .NET 4, Silverlight 4 and I worked on a Windows Phone 7 project.

Thanks,

Attila

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:35 PM