none
Visual Studio 2005 "error while trying to run project: unable to start debugging"

Question

• Hi,

I am running Windows 2003 (64) (SP2) and Visual Studio 2005 (SP1). Since re-installing Visual Studio, I have been unable to debug a VB.NET Windows application.

When I use F5 to run the application, I get the message "error while trying to run project. unable to start debugging".

• Before re-installing, I was able to run and debug this appliction.
    • I have tried running the same solution on another installation and it works OK.
    • I am able to run and debug VB.NET Web applications.
    • There are no errors logged into the application or system log

I would appreciate help / advice.

Thanks

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 2:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Paul,

Based on my understanding, you got the error message when you tried to debug the application on x64 machine, after reinstalling the Visual Studio 2005. If I have misunderstood you, please feel free to let me know.

To better understand your issue, could you please confirm the following information:

When you are debugging on a local computer, Visual Studio is actually using the remote debugging mechanism to connect from WOW to the 64-bit application. So please make sure that the remote debugging components were installed correctly. You can refer to Debugging 64-bit applications using Visual Studio 2005.

I hope this helps.

Friday, January 04, 2008 10:08 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Thomas,

Your understanding is correct.

To confirm remove debugging is installed correctly, I ran a repair from \vs\Remote Debugger\x64\rdbgsetup.exe. I am afraid this did not resolve the problem.

My feeling is that you are correct in your assumption that it is a remote debugging problem.

From the Debug / Attach to Process window. I can connect to (and debug) X86 process but get an error message "Cannot Attach to Process" when I try to attach to a X64 process.

Best regards

Paul

Friday, January 04, 2008 1:32 PM
  • hello,
    I had the same problem but with VB 2008 SP1 and XP 64bit.

I ran a repair from \vs\Remote Debugger\x64\rdbgsetup.exe and it worked, thanks thomas!
    Saturday, May 09, 2009 8:39 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem in the Visual Studio 2005 When I debug my WinForm application.

I have solved this problem successly. just do like as:

1.Open the Property Page of the Project,and Switch to Debug Item.Deselecte the "Enable the              Visual Studio hosting process".

2.Open the "Services" Dialog of your Computer. and Set the "Terminal Services"'s Status as              "Manual" or start the Service manually.

finish it as the up operations.debugging program works well as usual.

I hope this helps!

Paul-I

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 10:07 AM