none
Unable to javascript debug IE 10 with Visual Studio 2010

Question

• I recently upgraded from IE 9 to IE 10 Release Preview on Window 7.  I was able to debug just fine with IE 9 but upgraded to IE 10 to avoid a localhost issue with the Facebook SDK.  With IE 10 I'm unable to debug with VS 2010.  When I click run, it will start IE 10 from Visual Studio but none of the breakpoints are enabled.  I tried attaching to the IE 10 process with no luck.  I also tried triggering an error dialog from IE 10 and then select a debugger from IE 10 - when I select VS 2010 it reports that it cannot attach to the process.

Any ideas?

BTW - I'm unable to install VS 2012 - had MS tech support look at it and they couldn't find a solution.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 12:54 AM

Answers

• There is also a simpler fix:

1. Close IE
    2. In elevated cmd prompt run this command: regsvr32.exe "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\msdbg2.dll"

(or "%ProgramFiles% on a 32-bit OS)

Dmitri Leonov. VS Debugger

Friday, March 01, 2013 11:05 PM
  • Hi inuwan,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

I just have the Environment with IE10 in win8 and VS2012, but if possible, you could share us a simple sample, I will try to install the VS2010 and check it in the IE10 and win8 Environment.

If possible, you could check it with the following steps.

1. Please have a try to clear IE cache before debugging, and check the settings in the IE, see “Using Visual Studio to Debug JavaScript in IE”. Check it.
    2. Re-install the VS2010, and check the result.
    3. If still no help, I’m afraid that it is related to the IE10, if you remove the IE10 here, and install the IE9, does it work well now?

If you couldn’t install the VS2012 in your machine, I’m afraid that it is related to your Environment, not the VS setup expert, but if possible, you could try to clean your machine, and remove your VS2010, restart your machine, and then install your VS2012. Check it.

If possible, you could try to check it in another machine with IE10 and VS2012, or you could share us your project.

Please also attach your Visual Studio project, you can upload it to the sky driver, and then share the download link in your post. If you got error messages, please also show the whole error messages in your post.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by inuwan Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:42 AM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:05 AM

All replies

• Hi inuwan,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

I just have the Environment with IE10 in win8 and VS2012, but if possible, you could share us a simple sample, I will try to install the VS2010 and check it in the IE10 and win8 Environment.

If possible, you could check it with the following steps.

1. Please have a try to clear IE cache before debugging, and check the settings in the IE, see “Using Visual Studio to Debug JavaScript in IE”. Check it.
    2. Re-install the VS2010, and check the result.
    3. If still no help, I’m afraid that it is related to the IE10, if you remove the IE10 here, and install the IE9, does it work well now?

If you couldn’t install the VS2012 in your machine, I’m afraid that it is related to your Environment, not the VS setup expert, but if possible, you could try to clean your machine, and remove your VS2010, restart your machine, and then install your VS2012. Check it.

If possible, you could try to check it in another machine with IE10 and VS2012, or you could share us your project.

Please also attach your Visual Studio project, you can upload it to the sky driver, and then share the download link in your post. If you got error messages, please also show the whole error messages in your post.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by inuwan Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:42 AM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:05 AM
  • I was able to install VS 2012 and can debug with IE 10 now.
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:05 PM
  • Hi inuwan,

Glad to receive your reply.

I was able to install VS 2012 and can debug with IE 10 now.

So it worked well, am I right? If so, could my reply help you? If it is helpful, you could make it as the answer, I will close this thread. If not, could you share your solutions here? So it will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions. Thanks for your understanding.

Have a nice day,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:41 AM
  • I have just installed IE10 on my windows 7 machine.

I have Visual Studio 2010 and visual studio 2012 installed.

I NEED to be able to debug IE10 from Visual studio 2010 but it can't attach to the process. Not only that but it alerts my several times that it can't attach to the process.

Looking in Task Manager I see that the process its trying to attach to isn't the one containing the tab I want to debug. I am guessing that this is a host/tab process thing.

Either way, this morning I could debug with IE9 and now I cant.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:37 PM
  • Did you restart both Visual Studio 2010 and IE after installing VS2012? Also please make sure you enable Script debugging in IE options.

Thanks,
    Dmitri Leonov, Visual Studio Debugger team.

Friday, March 01, 2013 10:18 PM

1. Close IE
    2. In elevated cmd prompt run this command: regsvr32.exe "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\msdbg2.dll"

Friday, March 01, 2013 11:05 PM
  • In my case I needed to be able to debug our ASP code with VS2010. After IE10 upgrade this resulted in a msg "A debugger is already attached to the process".

I had this problem with IE10 Preview and with the release.

The above regsvr32 suggestion fixes this problem. Many thanks Dmitri...

Edwin

Sunday, March 03, 2013 3:23 AM
  • Finally, I found how to solve my problem.

Your solution worked as I was expecting. Thanks a lot ;D

Thursday, March 07, 2013 12:14 PM

1. Close IE

Make sure you run the cmd prompt as an administrator 

Bryan

Thursday, March 07, 2013 4:52 PM
  • it works in xp
    Friday, March 08, 2013 1:29 AM
  • Fixed it for me.

Thanks

Steve Goodwin

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 11:17 PM
  • Perfect. Also worked for me.

Saved my weekend!

Many thanks, Dimitri.

Friday, March 22, 2013 5:24 PM

1. Close IE

Thanks. It also worked for me!

Monday, March 25, 2013 9:18 AM
  • Registry fix Worked. Simple and to the point. Excellent assist!

• Edited by TC Barnett Saturday, June 08, 2013 5:51 PM
    Saturday, June 08, 2013 5:51 PM