none
Visual Studio 2012 UPGRADE Price?

Question

• Is there a special price for Upgrading from VS 2010 to VS 2012?  The full Professional product is available for $499 at MicrosoftStore.com but there is no upgrade version.

Sam

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi SammyD,

I also cannot obtain accurate information at my side.

I suggest you to connect the store directly in order to get more information:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Site_Contact_Us

• Marked as answer by Otomii Lu Friday, August 24, 2012 6:38 AM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:57 AM
  • No, there is not. Upgrading Professional from 2008 to 2010 used to be $549 MSRP. Earlier this year, we lowered the price of 2010 Professional from $799 to $499 and discontinued having an upgrade product. You can now "upgrade" for $50 less than it used to be, or buy new for $300 less than it used to be, but it's one product at $499 MSRP.
    • Proposed as answer by RobCaron Friday, September 28, 2012 10:35 PM
    Friday, September 28, 2012 10:35 PM
  • Hello

I have not yet had a straight answer on this from anyone in Microsoft despite having phoned and then been bounced about and told nothing.

Is the straightforward answer to this -  No there is no upgrade price. If you want VS2012 then you have to pay the full product price? Can I have a yes or a no please?

I fail to see what relevance the upgrade of 2008 to 2010 has to do with this and I also note that I still bought outright VS 2010 and would expect to pay less than someone who did not.

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 8:57 PM
  • @Kerrin If you look at RobCaron's reply above yours it states exactly what you are asking.

NO - There is not an upgrade price for VS2010 (or any other version) to VS2012. The price is $499 for professional regardless of whether it's an upgrade or a new installation. 

So what he was saying was you can "upgrade" for $50 less than what it used to be .. Since it used to be $549 Upgrade MSRP. OR you can install new for $300 less than it used to be.. Since it used to be $799 MSRP for new install.

Since he works for Microsoft, I would take that as a NO to your Yes / No request.

Also just found this. IF you already have MSDN, then there is "renewal" pricing.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/buy/default.aspx

• Edited by JustinMurphy Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:23 PM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:10 PM
  • Unless you happen to live in Europe where the price is $820, which is rather more than what I paid for the new version.
    Monday, October 29, 2012 12:38 PM
  • Except that I bought my Visual Studio 2010 (Semi-)Professional in April, 2010 for $299 as an upgrade from Visual Studio 2008 Standard.  So this SKU is in fact $200 *MORE* than I paid for my VS 2008 to VS 2010 upgrade.
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 7:22 PM
  • Except that I bought my Visual Studio 2010 (Semi-)Professional in April, 2010 for $299 as an upgrade from Visual Studio 2008 Standard.  So this SKU is in fact $200 *MORE* than I paid for my VS 2008 to VS 2010 upgrade.

yea, this is a joke.  I guess Microsoft will not get my money.
    Saturday, December 29, 2012 7:39 AM
  • Hi Mike:

I ended up downloading the Express Version (FREE) from asp.net/downloads

I was surprised how "extensive" the features were.  You may want try to see if that meets your needs (for free).  I imagine it doesn't have the full features of the pro version but if you haven't I suggest you check it out.

Sam

Sam

Sunday, December 30, 2012 6:18 PM
  • Thanks for the reply but for me it's not a solution.  Unfortunately I am studying for the MCSD and I am going to have to purchase the product.  I'm just not happy with it.
    Saturday, February 09, 2013 7:04 PM
  • Microsoft is  now offering a $100 discount offer for vs2012 EXPRESS users. You may want to check that out. 

Sam

Monday, February 11, 2013 2:24 PM
  • i too received a similar email w/ promo code offering to save $100 but feel still too much pay to for upgrade!  & this fr an admitted ms bigot! :)  ms pricing which now seems more in line w/ apple imo (ref surface) has been ... well ... disappointing lately! like allen i'm using express w/ hope they will bend or will wait til next vers
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:55 PM
  • Actually Apple offers its full development platform, not a toy version, for free.  
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 9:02 AM
  • OK...replying to a six month old post is meh.  However...  In what context does this comment originate?  Am I then to develop on a PC with XCode?  Don't get me wrong, I do develop with both, but never XCode on a PC and never Visual Studio on a Mac.  Why would I want to do that?

It amazes me that developers expect other developers ( companies ) to put effort into said developer's success and said developers not have to pay for it.  If you don't like Microsoft pricing, political views, Bill's charities, or Bill himself, you can develop C# without the IDE.  Go do it and see how successful you are.

Yes, Apple does offer their IDE for "free".  Where you pay for it is in their machines that can't be hardware updated, configured, or the like.  Not to mention you can spend a lot of time developing an application to have it rejected by the Stalin regime they call Apple Store.  Oh wait...don't I need a developer license?  Oh yeah...$99.  Not expensive, but NOT free!

So why don't we all stop raging against capitalism, accept our fates as consumers, and spend $500 or $99 for something that makes our lives so much easier.  We should be saying thank you Microsoft, thank you Apple...I don't have to do graphics in C or Basic.

Thursday, October 03, 2013 12:28 PM
  • I do not understand the rational.  VS2010 does not work.  It crashes constantly.

At the same time, Microsoft has abandoned all efforts at improvement for VS2010.

It is somewhere between unconscionable, unethical, and criminal to decline to offer an upgrade program.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:51 AM
  • I have to take issue with this post. I have used VS 2010 for several years now on a very big project for the electric utilities industry and it works beautifully. I am very happy with it and am very reluctant to try to "upgrade" to VS 2012 since there is no upgrade except to buy the full product at full price, which I agree with other posters, is ridiculous.
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:31 PM
  • My last version is 2010. After looking at this blog, I think the best way is to go the Apple way. It is clean and easy to understand. MS is still messed up (look at the MS and Apple store. MS store is often empty). Hope MS can sort out their unsupported and not backward compatible style.

Even you pay $$ to buy VSxxx to do development. It will be full of bugs, few updates and within no time, you have to buy it again !! Happens to VS 2005, 2008, 2010... all the way !!

Saturday, June 21, 2014 5:48 PM