none
Windows Form With Chart control - does not start on user computer, no error message

Question

• I created a Windows Form to chart data and it works fine in the VS2008 VB development environment and on my machine as an installed program.  We are running Windows XP, .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, Microsoft Chart Controls for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.  When I tried to install it on another similar computer, I ran MSChart.exe and it shows up in the add / remove programs list.  I installed my Windows Forms application and got no errors.  When I try to run the Windows Forms application, nothing happens.  No window appears (like it does on my computer).  I don't get any error messages.  I looked in Task Manager, and my Windows Forms Application is not listed in the applications or processes.  Any ideas how to get it to work? 
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 9:57 PM

All replies

• Hi you need to include the reference in your application in your msi deployment package:

System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.Charting.dll

regards,

enexooone

Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:09 PM
  • Thanks for responding.  In the project references, I have System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization which brings in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Chart Controls\Assemblies\System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.dll.  In the declarations in the code, I have an imports statement:

Imports

System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.Charting

I searched my computer for System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.Charting.dll and do not find it.  Can you explain more please?

Wade2011
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:55 PM
  • You can delete this thread.  It was not a chart control problem.  It was simple pilot error in creating multiple project outputs, instead of one project output and multiple shortcuts.
    Wade2011
    Friday, January 14, 2011 5:30 PM
  • You can delete this thread.  It was not a chart control problem.  It was simple pilot error in creating multiple project outputs, instead of one project output and multiple shortcuts.
    Wade2011

Hi,

I have the same problem, how you can solve it?

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 7:37 PM
  • hello,

i have the same problem, did you solve it, please help me.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 3:13 PM
  • In Solution Explorer, click on your setup project, then click the File System Button.  Make sure that your primary output is only in the application folder.  If you put the primary output in any other location, like the start menu or desktop, your project will not run correctly.  You can put short cuts in the start menu or desktop, but not the primary project output (which is your executable file (*.exe).
    Wade2011
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:33 PM