none
try to reinstall .NET 4, error I need to install WIC, that fails with error update.exe not valid

Question

• trying to do a clean install of .NET v4, installation starts then stops with a fatal error.  I look at the log file, this is where it hangs up:

Action start 13:48:30: CA_Block_WIC_NotPresent_x86.
    MSI (s) (68:60) [13:48:30:593]: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile -- You must install the 32-bit Windows Imaging Component (WIC) before you run Setup. Please visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=162643&clcid=0x409 to install WIC, and then rerun Setup.

You must install the 32-bit Windows Imaging Component (WIC) before you run Setup. Please visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=162643&clcid=0x409 to install WIC, and then rerun Setup.
    Action ended 13:48:30: CA_Block_WIC_NotPresent_x86. Return value 3.

So I follow the link in the log file, when trying to install WIC I get the "update\update.exe is not a valid Win32 Application".

I can not find any info on how to fix this. 

thanks for any asisstance.
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 5:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi epiclife,

Thank you for your post.

Based on your description and error information, please check the following information.

-          .NET Framework 4 is supported Windows 2003 family with SP2 or later.

-          For Windows Server 2003, you should install Windows Imaging Component (WIC) on the target computer.

32-bit Windows Imaging Component

64-bit Windows Imaging Component

See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5a4x27ek.aspx for more information.

Best Regards

Larcolais Gong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Larcolais Gong Tuesday, September 28, 2010 5:22 AM
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 7:05 AM
  • this did not help me. it was a circular reference right back into the same problem.

circular reference back to same problem is "32-bit Windows Imaging Component" and this file, the one for english, wic_x86_enu.exe, if you download it does not work when you put it on your computer and run it.

just give me the wic file that is 32 bit and is downloadable to be put on a stand alone computer

AND THAT WORKS THE FIRST TIME.

POST LINKS AND INSTRUCTIONS TO HERE AND TO MY EMAIL

and put instructions so a moron can follow them with no circular references or links right back into the same problem.

32-bit Windows Imaging Component (WIC) link that will work is "put link in here" and make sure that the link you reference is not a circular reference back to the same problem

your webpage has instructions that do not make sense

Instructions

1. Click the Download button at the top of this page to start the download.
    2. Do one of the following:
    - To start the installation immediately, click Run.
    - To copy the download to your computer for installation at a later time, click Save.

there is no download button at the TOP OF THE PAGE

THERE ARE ONLY THESE DOWNLOAD BUTTONS and the one for english which is the third one down

which is the one that does not work. you cannot load it on a computer.

Quick details

Version: 1.0 Date Published: 11/23/2009
    <label for="change-language">Change Language:</label> <select id="change-language" name="change-language"> <option value="17">Chinese (Simplified)</option> <option value="24">Dutch</option> <option selected="selected" value="25">English</option> <option value="30">French</option> <option value="34">German</option> <option value="45">Italian</option> <option value="46">Japanese</option> <option value="74">Portuguese (Brazil)</option> <option value="80">Russian</option> <option value="89">Spanish</option></select> <noscript></noscript>

Files in this download

The links in this section correspond to files available for this download. Download the files appropriate for you.

File Name Size  
    wic_x86_chs.exe 1.2 MB Download
    wic_x86_deu.exe 1.2 MB Download
    wic_x86_enu.exe 1.2 MB Download
    wic_x86_esn.exe 1.2 MB Download
    wic_x86_fra.exe 1.2 MB Download
    wic_x86_ita.exe 1.2 MB Download
    wic_x86_jpn.exe 1.2 MB Download
    wic_x86_nld.exe 1.2 MB Download
    wic_x86_ptb.exe 1.2 MB Download
    wic_x86_rus.exe 1.2 MB Download

I hope I was clear enough?

Donald Walker

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 9:32 PM
  • Thanks for all this.

I use VMware fusion on MAC and get :update\update.exe is not a valid WIN 32 Application

Saturday, January 07, 2012 7:50 PM
  • Thanks for all this.

I use VMware fusion on MAC and get :update\update.exe is not a valid WIN 32 Application

HI, I WAS INSTALLING WIC(32-bit) BUT IT GIVE AN ERROR MESSAGE.... "????????WINDOWS XP ?????,????" HELP ME. THANK YOU.
    Sunday, February 05, 2012 4:10 PM
  • Hi Donald, I think those 10 results are related to 10 languages given in drop down box, so i suggest u to install 3rd download i.e. 'win_x86_enu.exe'. I have installed it & its working.
    Monday, June 04, 2012 10:33 AM