none
Debugger could not be started because no user is logged on.

Question

• I'm pulling my hair out... I'm running MOSS on 2003. Each time I try to invoke the debugger (e.g. Debugger.Break() or Debugger.Launch()) I see the following error in the Event Viewer. Now the error says one needs to be logged in, but I am logged in! I tried on several accounts, domain as well as local, and still the same error. I have been googling all morning and have seen several similar posts (link) but nothing which fixes "my" problem. Any and all help/suggestings apprecaited.

"An unhandled exception ('Launch for user') occurred in w3wp.exe [3788]. Just-In-Time debugging this exception failed with the following error: Debugger could not be started because no user is logged on."

• Edited by cyntacks Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:45 PM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike, Sorry for the late reply, I have been moving back and forth between projects. As suggested, I tested if this was just replated to web applications, and it was. For example, building a simple WPF test app proved the debugger was working perfectly. After scouring the net (and your suggestions) nothing worked. So I rebuilt my virtual machine yesterday and the issue has magically gone away. I have no idea what it was, and I am sure there was an easier fix than rebuilding, but that worked. Sometimes it just makes sense to bite the bullet... Thanks again for your help, Kevin
    Wednesday, December 07, 2011 2:20 PM

All replies

• Then have you tested if a common Console or Windows Form application with the Debugger.Launch() method can work as expected?

My Debugging experiences on Web related project is not rich, but I will try to help you first.

I found that the config file has a debug attribute in the compilation node, maybe you can test after set it to true.

I saw conditions in this article, but I only think the above one related to your status: http://www.mssharepointtips.com/tip.asp?id=1114

You also can have a read it.

And there's another probable solution for you is to compare this registry key to others machine and correct yours:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify

as this thread told.

Maybe you can try to set your computer to let the worker process to run under a user account like this tutorial said:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bakfs900.aspx

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 7:33 AM
  • I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. 
    What about this problem now? 
    Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions?

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    Sunday, December 04, 2011 1:52 PM
  • Hi Mike, Sorry for the late reply, I have been moving back and forth between projects. As suggested, I tested if this was just replated to web applications, and it was. For example, building a simple WPF test app proved the debugger was working perfectly. After scouring the net (and your suggestions) nothing worked. So I rebuilt my virtual machine yesterday and the issue has magically gone away. I have no idea what it was, and I am sure there was an easier fix than rebuilding, but that worked. Sometimes it just makes sense to bite the bullet... Thanks again for your help, Kevin
    Wednesday, December 07, 2011 2:20 PM
  • BTW, that forum assistant in your signature is awesome... just installed it..
    Wednesday, December 07, 2011 2:23 PM
  • Thanks, J
    Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    Wednesday, December 07, 2011 3:34 PM