none
warning C4635: XML document comment applied to CMFCToolBarImages.SmoothResize(System.Double)': badly-formed XML

Question

• When I build my small native C++ file with VS2010 SP1, I get mysterious compiler errors. I have no idea what these mean. I am not using XML, nor ribbon controls. The pgm is a class implementation with constructor, destructor, and two public functions.

1>  MyPgm.cpp
    1>c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 10.0\vc\atlmfc\include\afxtoolbarimages.h(217): warning C4635: XML document comment applied to 'CMFCToolBarImages.SmoothResize(System.Double)': badly-formed XML: Only one top level element is allowed in an XML document.
    1>  
    1>c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 10.0\vc\atlmfc\include\afxribbonbar.h(139): warning C4635: XML document comment applied to 'CMFCRibbonBar.LoadFromResource(System.UInt32,System.SByte!System.Runtime.CompilerServices.IsSignUnspecifiedByte!System.Runtime.CompilerServices.IsConst*,HINSTANCE__*)': badly-formed XML: Only one top level element is allowed in an XML document.
    1>  
    1>c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 10.0\vc\atlmfc\include\afxribbonbar.h(146): warning C4635: XML document comment applied to 'CMFCRibbonBar.LoadFromResource(System.SByte!System.Runtime.CompilerServices.IsSignUnspecifiedByte!System.Runtime.CompilerServices.IsConst*,System.SByte!System.Runtime.CompilerServices.IsSignUnspecifiedByte!System.Runtime.CompilerServices.IsConst*,HINSTANCE__*)': badly-formed XML: Only one top level element is allowed in an XML document.
    1>  
    1>c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 10.0\vc\atlmfc\include\afxribbonbar.h(153): warning C4635: XML document comment applied to 'CMFCRibbonBar.LoadFromBuffer(System.SByte!System.Runtime.CompilerServices.IsSignUnspecifiedByte!System.Runtime.CompilerServices.IsConst*)': badly-formed XML: Only one top level element is allowed in an XML document.
    1>  
    1>c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 10.0\vc\atlmfc\include\afxribboncategory.h(235): warning C4635: XML document comment applied to 'CMFCRibbonCategory.OnKey(System.UInt32)': badly-formed XML: The following tags were not closed: summary.
    1>  
    1>
    1>Build succeeded.
    1>
    1>Time Elapsed 00:00:03.82
    ========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 7:39 AM

Answers

All replies

• Looks like one of the headers you include have badly formatted XML comments. As these are Microsoft headers, I propose you request a bugfix.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cy52973d(VS.90).aspx

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 7:48 AM
    • Proposed as answer by BenoitRoosens Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Helen Zhao Wednesday, March 21, 2012 6:39 AM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:10 AM
  • Thanks, that was very helpful. Also, BenoitRoosens' suggestion. I had to make 5 changes in the named header files (only one of these was mentioned in the bug report).

I have submitted a new bug report for the errors I found.

Kind of annoying that MS didn't do a simple compile to test the headers. There are probably a lot more.

Also annoying that they didn't release a bug fix for this. It has been at least a year since it was first reported.

I am also critical of the error description, which is for VS2005 and 2008, and is also pretty much useless.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:04 PM
  • Hi VoiceOfexperience,

Thank you for your valuable deefback.

Every feedback submitted will be evaluated carefully by our engineers. They will let you know their comments further through that portal. It would be great if you can also paste the link to the submitted feedback here, so that other community members can see it as well.

Best regards,
    Helen Zhao

Helen Zhao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, March 16, 2012 6:23 AM