none
LINK : fatal error LNK1000: Internal error during IncrBuildImage

Question

• LINK : fatal error LNK1000: Internal error during IncrBuildImage

I get that error every single time I build in VC++ 2008 Express. I checked on Google and on this site and this issue was reported over 60 days ago. 10 - 20 people complained until Microsoft closed the thread so nobody else could report it. It is also reported in several forums and Blogs on Google plus my Vista system automatically sends a report to Microsoft about it sometimes.

It happens with every single debug build I do except very tiny sample apps though it's even done it with them sometimes. With a few hundred lines of code (which is tiny) it does it every single build and it seems to be taking longer and longer to recover each time. A second build usually builds okay.

Microsoft closed the thread because they said they "could not reproduce the issue in their lab" yet customers were actively sending in bucket dumps, error logs, sample code etc to try and help the Microsoft Team reproduce the error... when Microsoft closed the thread. What is with that?

I have had this issue for over a month and as I build at least fifty times a day sometimes then it is incredibly frustrating. People all over the world seem to be getting the exact same problem.

I re-installed VC++ from scratch and ran registry repair tools, defragged my hard disk, ran DLL check software, did a "rescue" check of my Vista build, made sure that I had all updates, patches etc... yet nothing has made the slightest bit of difference.

m0ng00se (NZ)

m0ng00se@xtra.co.nz

Sunday, January 27, 2008 7:55 AM

Answers

• Hi m0ng00se,

Thanks for posting this and sharing the information. I understand your concerns.

However, please also kindly understand the importance for repro sample for diagnosing the problem. Log files/bucket dumps can be useful to some extend, but they can only provide postmortem information for troubleshooting and isolation, which may not be sufficient under some circumstances.

For the particular problem appearing on your side, is it possible that we can work out a sample project that can reproduce the problem with some steps? If yes, I would suggest that we submit another report on Connect and supply the repro steps.

Sometimes problem can be reproduced on some systems but not on the others. In that case, the issue is not necessarily a bug, but can be related to system environment and software configuration.

I have the following suggestions:

1. If we can work out a repro sample/steps, let's submit it once more in Connect. You may quote the other related feedback items you see in the report. You can also paste out the URL here, so that other community members will be able to see it.

2. If the problem is not easily reproducible, or only occurs on a single machine, I would suggest that you contact our Product Support (http://support.microsoft.com/). A dedicated engineer will be working with you to isolate the problem. If the issue turns out to be a bug with our product, usually we will not charge you for the service request.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 9:17 AM

All replies

• Hi m0ng00se,

Thanks for posting this and sharing the information. I understand your concerns.

However, please also kindly understand the importance for repro sample for diagnosing the problem. Log files/bucket dumps can be useful to some extend, but they can only provide postmortem information for troubleshooting and isolation, which may not be sufficient under some circumstances.

For the particular problem appearing on your side, is it possible that we can work out a sample project that can reproduce the problem with some steps? If yes, I would suggest that we submit another report on Connect and supply the repro steps.

Sometimes problem can be reproduced on some systems but not on the others. In that case, the issue is not necessarily a bug, but can be related to system environment and software configuration.

I have the following suggestions:

1. If we can work out a repro sample/steps, let's submit it once more in Connect. You may quote the other related feedback items you see in the report. You can also paste out the URL here, so that other community members will be able to see it.

2. If the problem is not easily reproducible, or only occurs on a single machine, I would suggest that you contact our Product Support (http://support.microsoft.com/). A dedicated engineer will be working with you to isolate the problem. If the issue turns out to be a bug with our product, usually we will not charge you for the service request.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 9:17 AM
  • I don't know if this addresses m0ng00se's issue, but I am able to replicate the LNK1000 error consistently by going back and forth between connected and disconnected modes for the source control bindings in VS 2008. I use a laptop and frequently bring work home with me where I do not have a network connection.

Here are the basic steps I took:

Setup:
    Development Environment: VS 2008
    Other: solutions and projects are bound to source control, VSS in my case

Steps:
    1.  Turn computer off and disconnect cable from network.  If using wireless network connection, disable the connection hardware.
    2.  Turn on the machine and login to Windows.
    3.  Start VS 2008 and load a solution.  When prompted, run it in VSS disconnected mode.
    4.  Clean the solution.  This is just a preparation step.
    5.  Modify the contents of a source file in one of the projects.
    6.  Build the project.  It should compile fine.
    7.  Dismiss VS 2008.
    8.  Shutdown computer.
    9.  Reconnect the network cable.  If using wireless network connection, enable the connection hardware.
    10.  Turn on the machine and login to Windows.
    11. Start VS 2008 and load the same solution.  Make sure VS 2008 is communicating with VSS.
    12.  Modify the contents of the same source file again.
    13.  Build the project again without a clean.  The LNK1000 error should appear.

The steps can also be "reversed" (start with connected mode and then disconnected mode) and produce the same result.  I didn't quite pare down the steps, so I don't know what is applicable to triggering the error. 

Hope this helps.

Friday, February 01, 2008 6:08 PM
  • I have same problem, but I do not use vss at all.
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 4:21 PM
  • For me, this happens occasionally too.

I used to think it was related to adding an existing project to a solution because it seems to happen after I do that and issue a "Build" command.  But, after reading what "rht" wrote, I suspect that maybe it is related to the fact that often, when I add an existing project to a solution, I get the SCM warning that (xxxx.vc9.vspscc) is not bound to source control.

This may be related and somewhat simulate what "rht" posted.

I'm running Vista Business x64.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
    Version 9.0.21022.8 RTM
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 3.5

Installed Edition: Professional

Microsoft Visual Basic 2008   91605-270-0981703-60034
    Microsoft Visual Basic 2008

Microsoft Visual C# 2008   91605-270-0981703-60034
    Microsoft Visual C# 2008

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008   91605-270-0981703-60034
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Tools for Office   91605-270-0981703-60034
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Tools for Office

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008   91605-270-0981703-60034
    Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008

Crystal Reports    AAJ60-G0MSA4K-68000CF
    Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition - ENU (KB944899)   KB944899
    This hotfix is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition - ENU.
    If you later install a more recent service pack, this hotfix will be uninstalled automatically.
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944899.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition - ENU (KB945282)   KB945282
    If you later install a more recent service pack, this hotfix will be uninstalled automatically.
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945282.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition - ENU (KB946040)   KB946040
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946040.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition - ENU (KB946308)   KB946308
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946308.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition - ENU (KB946344)   KB946344
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946344.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition - ENU (KB946581)   KB946581
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946581.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition - ENU (KB947171)   KB947171
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947171.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition - ENU (KB947173)   KB947173
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947173.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition - ENU (KB947789)   KB947789
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947789.

Build Summary
    Build Summary Add-in
    For more information about Build Summary, see Leo Violette
    For customer support, call 1-800-xxx-xxxx.
    Copyright (c) 2007 LOV Software.

Leo.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 8:36 PM
  • I still have this problem and it happens on EVERY SINGLE incremental build regardless of aything else. No disconnecting, no VSS, no shutting down, nothing...

Now you imagine debugging and you change something... do a build... change something... do a build... every single time I get a fatal link error on every build. As you all know it is best to change only one thing at a time in code when debugging so I can get 50 fatal link errors in two hours no problem at all.

I have sent all the info to Microsoft many times and my machine also automatically sends it sometimes. As you can see from the messages posted here after mine... I am not alone with this issue and there are hundreds more reporting it all over the net but Microsoft are still silent on the issue.

I repeat that I have completely re-installed VC++ compiler and SDK from scratch twice. Rebuilt the Vista Operating system, run registry fix software, cleaned and defragged and purchased 4 gig RAM but nothing has made any difference at all.

However I do appreciate how elusive some issues can be to fix. I'm not angry with Microsoft at all but it is extremely frustrating. I seriously do not have time to spend hours, days, working with Microsoft at this time to try and resolve the issue because I am way behind schedule already and I code 6 - 12 hours a day. Once I finish this project I am happy to devote some time to working out the issue.

I still think the VC++ compiler is the best one out there by miles so I'm not going to complain too much. The debugger is absolutely brilliant.

m0ng00se

Friday, March 14, 2008 11:26 AM
  • hm... it happens to me, too Sad

i hope that this log message will help.

i am working on a program that captures images using a webcam; and i am using directshow libraries.

1>------ Build started: Project: Capture2, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------

1>Compiling...

1>Capture2Dlg.cpp

1>Generating Code...

1>Compiling...

1>Capture2.cpp

1>Generating Code...

1>Linking...

1>LINK : fatal error LNK1000: Internal error during IncrBuildImage

1> Version 9.00.21022.08

1> ExceptionCode = C0000005

1> ExceptionFlags = 00000000

1> ExceptionAddress = FED22D78

1> NumberParameters = 00000002

1> ExceptionInformation[ 0] = 00000008

1> ExceptionInformation[ 1] = FED22D78

1>CONTEXT:

1> Eax = FED22D78 Esp = 003CF078

1> Ebx = 4000816C Ebp = 003CF0A4

1> Ecx = 003ED670 Esi = 40116B88

1> Edx = 003CF094 Edi = 001AD6C0

1> Eip = FED22D78 EFlags = 00010246

1> SegCs = 0000001B SegDs = 00000023

1> SegSs = 00000023 SegEs = 00000023

1> SegFs = 0000003B SegGs = 00000000

1> Dr0 = 00000000 Dr3 = 00000000

1> Dr1 = 00000000 Dr6 = 00000000

1> Dr2 = 00000000 Dr7 = 00000000

1>Build log was saved at "file://e:\<path to my code>\Debug\BuildLog.htm"

1>Capture2 - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

After i click Ok on the dialog box that appears, and rebuild, everything works fine.... but i get that error on every first build.

Sunday, April 06, 2008 3:19 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem.. the error appears from time to time, randomly (at least I couldn't remark regularity). I'm using VS2008 TeamSystem on Vista Business SP1.
    Thursday, May 01, 2008 6:15 AM
  • A check disk including fix file system errors and attempt recover bad sectors fixed this issue for me.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 11:04 AM
  • After installing VisualStudio 2008, I have had the same problem, among others, in an increasing frequency for some months. This morning, after working on another problem, corrupt Intellisense cache, the frequency was up to, every other debug build. The hotfix in Ildjarn's link seems to have helped.

Hotfix download link: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=11399

Thanks.
    Monday, November 17, 2008 9:42 PM
  • FWIW, the problem should be fixed in (or at least, the hotfix should be integrated into) VS2008 SP1. So at this point, installing SP1 would be a better move than installing the hotfix, I think.
    Monday, November 17, 2008 9:52 PM
  • omygod,my vs2008 meets the same error,and I haven't found a good resolution,either.....and...I"m also very frustrated..........
    Monday, August 03, 2009 12:55 PM
  • FWIW, the problem should be fixed in (or at least, the hotfix should be integrated into) VS2008 SP1. So at this point, installing SP1 would be a better move than installing the hotfix, I think.
    I'm using VC++ 2008 express SP1, and it doesn't include the hotfix.
    I applied the hotfix, and the linker crash is fixed.
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 7:57 PM
  • I'm using VS2008 Pro under W7 with all updates as of today, and apparently the hotfix is not included.
    I also applied the hotfix, and it seems to have solved the issue for me.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 6:12 PM
  • One interesting thing is that I have *only* seen this problem on Windows7 64 bit edition.
    I have never experienced this bug on XP 32bit.
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 1:13 AM
  • "One interesting thing is that I have *only* seen this problem on Windows7 64 bit edition.
    I have never experienced this bug on XP 32bit."

Ditto - I am on this same platform with same problem... Hope this HotFix fixes it!
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Visual Studio 2008 needs to be patched to service pack 1 on Vista/7. If you are using Vista or 7, you HAVE to download Visual Studio 2008 service pack 1.
    Friday, November 27, 2009 11:17 AM
  • I am also seeing this issue on a Windows 7 64 bit system on a medium project that worked fine under XP and VS 2005. Let me know if you find a work around I am unable to procede at the moment. A few of my other applications worked fine. I did receive link failures but redoing it allowed me to proceed.

The issue seems to be centered around cleaning an entire solution and rebuilding the entire solution and all its dependencies. If you go back to just the project where the link failed and do a build again when it completes successfully.

I'm wondering if when you're doing it for the entire solution there  are intermediate files created that are not getting written to the right spot on the disk until it's done which is why the link fails? It doesn't make a lot of sense but just doing the link again allows it to complete successfully.

Thanks jrc
    This message was created using Dragon NaturallySpeaking.
    Please pardon Any 'speakos' that may have gone unnoticed In this message.
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 8:23 PM
  • I am getting this same problem on my Windows 7 64 bit system. At first, I couldn't compile anything. Then I learned about SP1 and installed that, and was soon creating simple demo programs in C++. However, I got the linker problem on many old projects converted from MSVC 6. I let that go, understanding that I would have to recreate those projects if necessary to recompile them.  I am jumping all the way up from XP and MSVC 6 to Win 7 VC2008, so that is quite a step to make. I found VC2008 anything but intuitive, and had endless problems getting off the ground - especially with this business of property sheets and manifests - new concepts for someone coming from MSVC 6.  In the end, I came to dread working with VC2008. For this past while, I have been busy working in Java and Adobe AS3 so I didn't have to use the new VC2008 installation, but it was always there in the back of my mind like a dull tooth ache that I need to get back to it and get on top of it since my primary business is developing software in C++.

This morning I worked up the courage to fire up VC2008, and decided to create a simple MFC dialog-based app. Created the project and compiled, and the linker crashed. This is inexcusable! VC2008 has been out for 2 years now, and Windows 7 was RTM over 6 months ago, but available internally to Microsoft probably well over a year.

1>Linking...
    1>Embedding manifest...
    1>Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Resource Compiler Version 6.0.5724.0
    1>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
    1>LINK : fatal error LNK1000: Internal error during IncrBuildImage
    1>  Version 9.00.21022.08
    1>  ExceptionCode            = C0000005

Now one thing I noticed above was it crashed while Embedding manifest. I had noticed previously problems at this point, and turned manifest generation off in the property sheets. I went to them then, wanting to turn off all the extraneous stuff that I was not interested in such as run time checks and buffer randomization and creating manifests, but discovered that the manifests are read only. Why is that? This was my big problem with my first few programs. I learned that I needed to open VC2008 with "Run as administrator", but that didn't solve the problem this time. I tried cleaning the project, closing it and opening it again, and tried recompiling several times, with no luck. Linker crashes every time. Btw: This is just compiling and linking the template generated MFC project without making a single change to it.

Other problems I have encountered previously was that I created a simple C++ project and everything worked satisfactorily until I went to save it, and it could not save the - I think it was - the manifest files, always complaining that they were read only, although I had been able to modify them. Going into the file system after, I changed the file attributes for all files related to the project but when I re-opened the project, modified the property sheets once more and tried to save, they would not save. There was no other options presented - only save or cancel, and save wouldn't work. What a piece of ____ this software is! I am not some n00be - have been developing software for nearly 2 decades. If a new compiler makes me feel like an incompetent idiot, I can justifiably blame the software and not myself.

Now in the beginning when I was trying to compile my very first real program, I had run into some problems, and was talking about them on Slashdot. A Microsoft engineer came by and he was very nice and helped me with my problem, to the extent of even involving a coworker with it. They did resolve the problem for me, and were real nice about it. Turned out to be some n00be mistake I'd made - basically - I didn't have two clues about what I was doing. Yet I fire up Eclipse to start a new Java project after not having seen Java since school 15 years ago and I am up and productive the first day, and after a week I created a valuable piece of software for which I was well paid, so why can't I get up and be productive in VC2008 with at least 15 years experience I have as a very successful software developer??? Going back to this nice Microsoft engineer that helped me previously - at one point he suggest I try out the new VC2010. Of course what he didn't realize, and what I hadn't the time to inform him, was that I had just purchased this VC2008 compiler, and I expect the damn thing to work. I am not on a subscription where the new version comes down as part of the deal. Right now I am wanting to uninstall this VC2008 and try to see if I can get my old MSVC 6 to install on this platform. I never had any problems with that. ...or maybe buy a compiler from Intel. Don't know what I am going to do.

Monday, January 11, 2010 3:22 PM
  • What about try this;
    After start debugging, building project or re-building project click "Project ->Properties " and select "Configuration Properties ->General " node. In this node there is a property like "Enable Managed Incremental Build ". Change it to "<inherit from parent or project defaults> " and click "Apply and OK ". Now you can run or build your project without any warning.

PS: I'm a newbie, so I don't know what kinda problem cause changing "Enable Managed Incremental Build" property. If anyone know the problems about changing that property, please tell me. Thanks. (Sorry for my English)
    • Edited by data4use Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:36 PM Bad language
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:34 PM
  • I'm also not exactly sure what "Incremental Build" is, but I've diabled it and the problem (same as all above) has gone away.  Nothing like a band-aid.

Platform: Windows 7, vs2008

fatal error LNK1000: Internal error during IncrBuildImage

Friday, April 16, 2010 10:54 PM
  • Incremental building is a method to speed up building times, especially useful for debugging.

As an example, suppose you have an executable made up of 3 source files, a.cpp, b.cpp and c.cpp. You build the project and it will link all of the files. Now, you realise that there is a problem in b.cpp, so you fix it and build it again. Now, the linker notices that a.cpp and c.cpp haven't changed at all, so it just needs to update b.cpp. It also notices that you already have a file with the same name already built, so it checks to make sure it was built incrementally and with the current source. If things go well then all it has to do is just replace part of the output, that is all. It saves itself a lot of work.

From so few source files you may think what is the point. But C++ projects can easily get into thousands of source files. So doing a full link which needs to link every single object again, or doing an incremental link which simply replaces the old version in the output file with the new one just built, which do you think is more efficient.

Well, that is the idea behind incremental linking anyway.

Visit my (not very good) blog at http://c2kblog.blogspot.com/
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 3:34 AM
  • I get this all the time (about 1 out of every 4 recompiles) in Windows 7 with Visual Studio 2008.  To me, the fact that this issue is being ignored, pretty much proves that C/C++ is not really a priority for Microsoft anymore.
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 6:28 PM
  • Looks like I spoke too soon.  Applying SP1 seems to have resolved my issues:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/confirmation.aspx?familyId=fbee1648-7106-44a7-9649-6d9f6d58056e&displayLang=en

I would have done this sooner, but it wasn't showing up in Windows Update for me.

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 7:49 PM
  • I have the same Problem when I create a MFC Project.

LINK : fatal error LNK1000: Internal error during IncrBuildImage

I´ve downloaded the Hotfix VS90-KB948127.exe, but it says that "this Product is not installed on this Computer".

So I cants install the Hotfix.

Any ideas?

Friday, October 22, 2010 1:29 PM
  • I can confirm that SP1 didn't fix the problem for me (I'm running under 64-bit Windows 7), but the hotfix did - so thanks to ildjarn for posting the link.

Jason Teagle
    Saturday, November 06, 2010 11:52 AM
  • I am thinking thats a bug? I google the net for this error, but seems no useful way. maybe you can try to use F5 to build the source first, also can be found from menu "debug -> start". It will ask if you want to rebuild the source, click yes to build the obj files, you will meet the same error mostly, and F5 again, then it will pass the link. This is not a good way, but you can try...
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 2:01 PM
  • Hey gyus,

I applied the hotfix given above and since then no more problems with the linker. I am using a W7 32-Bit Edition on my old HP Pavilion Notebook. First I tried to make it run with the "compatibility mode" but didn't work. Then I remembered that W7 is using its UAC System to restrict access to the system. My current configuration is no "comp" mode and applied hotfix running VS2008 Prof in Admin Mode under W7.... and no problems anymore.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 11:02 PM
  • Yup - SP1 looks to be part of the answer:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/confirmation.aspx?displayLang=en&id=10986

I then started to get other errors:

error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'rgclsidAllowed'

blah, blah, blah, .....

So, I found this thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sv-SE/vcgeneral/thread/ba315aa1-5a6a-4e84-9bbc-008503e3a77e

Applied this patch:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=294de390-3c94-49fb-a014-9a38580e64cb

And all appears well now. 

To recap:

use, KB971092 and KB945140

VS90SP1-KB971092-x86.exe

VS90sp1-KB945140-ENU.exe

Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:44 PM
  • I had same problem and now I turned off the incremental build in the properties and it works - slower but it works

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:01 PM