none
Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2538243) Installation status: Failed

Question

• Hi,

I get a Windows Installer pop-up message when trying to install visual c++ 2008 redistributable that say "The feature you are tring to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available."  "Insert the 'Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable -x64 9.0.30729.6161' disk and click OK."

I had the same problem when trying to install blackberry desktop manager.  The desktop manager requires Visual c++ 2008 and attempts to install it.  

When I look at what is installed via control panel, I already see several Visual c++ 2008 along with 2005s.  BTW, I get the same message box when attempting to remove Visual c++ 2008 redistributable from control panel.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eammon

Sunday, July 10, 2011 10:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Eammon,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I recommend you download Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package again from here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=11895

Then try to install it and follow these steps:

·         Clean up your “%temp%” folder (Start>>Run>>%temp%).

·         Check if there are any anti-virus or antispyware applications running. Make sure they are turned off during installation.

·         Run the setup file with Administrator privileges: Right-click the installer > Run as administrator.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:14 AM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 7:41 AM

All replies

• Hi Eammon,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I recommend you download Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package again from here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=11895

Then try to install it and follow these steps:

·         Clean up your “%temp%” folder (Start>>Run>>%temp%).

·         Check if there are any anti-virus or antispyware applications running. Make sure they are turned off during installation.

·         Run the setup file with Administrator privileges: Right-click the installer > Run as administrator.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:14 AM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 7:41 AM
  • An hour ago I got a MS security update prompt to install the c++ service pack 1 on my Win XP circa 2002 desktop.   I did the download and install.  A short time later the pc started a reboot cycle.  I eventually started getting a DOS screen offering to restore the system to the last good boot up.  But the keyboard arrow up won't work.   How do I get past the faulty MS update?
    Saturday, July 21, 2012 7:07 PM