none
TFS2010 - Workitem Checkbox Control

Question

• Is there a checkbox control available for TFS 2010 workitems? I've found the one for TFS 2008 and TFS 2005 but it doesn't work in TFS 2010 from my testing.

Friday, November 19, 2010 9:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Allen,

Thanks for your replay.

Below are detailed steps for add this CheckBox control(provided in your replay) to Work Item Type:

First, we need to rebuild the UKVSTS.WorkItemControls project to get the .dll file.

1        Open this webpage: http://ukvsts.codeplex.com/SourceControl/list/changesets, and click Download to get the latest version of UKVSTS solution and save it(a zip file). Then we extract it and its path is C:\Users\username\Desktop\UKVSTS(example).

2        Open the UKVSTS solution in VS, there are ten projects under it, remove some of them(IEeee, UKVSTS.WebTestPlugins, UKVSTS.WebTestPlugins.2008, IEeeeSetup, UKVSTS.WebTestPlugins Setup, UKVSTSWorkItemControlSetup).

3        Right-click UKVSTS.WorktItemControls project and select Properties, click the Build Events tab, clean the Post-build event command line list box. Then click Application tab, select .NET Framework 4 for Target framework, click Yes.

4        Expand UKVSTS.FieldDefaultValues project, right-click References and select Add References… to add Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Common and Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client for this project. Then change this project’s Target framework’s value to .NET Framework 4 too.

5        Right-click UKVSTS.WorktItemControls and select Rebuild. After it build successfully, copy all files which under C:\Users\username\Desktop\UKVSTS\WorkItemControls\UKVSTS.WorkItemsControls\bin\Debug folder, and then paste them under C:\Users\username \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Team Foundation\Work Item Tracking\Custom Controls(default path) folder.

Second, add CheckBox control to Work Item Type:

Best Regards

John Qiao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Allen.Feinberg Tuesday, November 23, 2010 1:55 PM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 9:37 AM

All replies

• Hi~~~

There's no checkbox control in TFS default control.

If you have ever seen the checkbox control, it may TFS Custom Control developed by someone.

Monday, November 22, 2010 5:03 AM
  • Hi Allen,

In order to resolve this issue, I want to confirm some information with you:

1        Is the Checkbox a custom Workitem Control?

2        Did you create this Checkbox in TFS2008, then copy the dll file to TFS2010?

3        Do you mean that this dll file can’t work normally in TFS2010?

Would you please provide detailed information about it?

Best Regards

John Qiao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, November 22, 2010 5:32 AM
  • Hi Allen,

In order to resolve this issue, I want to confirm some information with you:

1        Is the Checkbox a custom Workitem Control?

2        Did you create this Checkbox in TFS2008, then copy the dll file to TFS2010?

3        Do you mean that this dll file can’t work normally in TFS2010?

Would you please provide detailed information about it?

Best Regards

John Qiao

1) I'm looking for a checkbox custom work item control that works with TFS/VS 2010

2) I've looked at this DLL but I can't seem to get it to be able to build using TFS 2010 http://ukvsts.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=WITCheckBoxControl&ProjectName=ukvsts

3) I can have the Workitem control working in VS 2008 but it doesn't work in VS 2010.

Monday, November 22, 2010 3:50 PM
  • When I change the references to the VS 2010 referenced assemblies and I change the project to be built using the .NET 4.0 Framework I'm still getting the following error:

Unable to cast object of type 'UKVSTS.WorkItemControls.WorkItemCheckBox' to type 'Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Controls.IWorkItemControl'

Monday, November 22, 2010 11:13 PM
  • Hi Allen,

Thanks for your replay.

Below are detailed steps for add this CheckBox control(provided in your replay) to Work Item Type:

First, we need to rebuild the UKVSTS.WorkItemControls project to get the .dll file.

1        Open this webpage: http://ukvsts.codeplex.com/SourceControl/list/changesets, and click Download to get the latest version of UKVSTS solution and save it(a zip file). Then we extract it and its path is C:\Users\username\Desktop\UKVSTS(example).

2        Open the UKVSTS solution in VS, there are ten projects under it, remove some of them(IEeee, UKVSTS.WebTestPlugins, UKVSTS.WebTestPlugins.2008, IEeeeSetup, UKVSTS.WebTestPlugins Setup, UKVSTSWorkItemControlSetup).

3        Right-click UKVSTS.WorktItemControls project and select Properties, click the Build Events tab, clean the Post-build event command line list box. Then click Application tab, select .NET Framework 4 for Target framework, click Yes.

4        Expand UKVSTS.FieldDefaultValues project, right-click References and select Add References… to add Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Common and Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client for this project. Then change this project’s Target framework’s value to .NET Framework 4 too.

5        Right-click UKVSTS.WorktItemControls and select Rebuild. After it build successfully, copy all files which under C:\Users\username\Desktop\UKVSTS\WorkItemControls\UKVSTS.WorkItemsControls\bin\Debug folder, and then paste them under C:\Users\username \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Team Foundation\Work Item Tracking\Custom Controls(default path) folder.

Second, add CheckBox control to Work Item Type:

Best Regards

John Qiao

• Marked as answer by Allen.Feinberg Tuesday, November 23, 2010 1:55 PM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 9:37 AM
  • Many many thanks I will try this out later today!
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 12:08 PM
  • John,

Thank you for the steps, I've marked your post as the answer. I was able to get this to work with 1 slight change to your instructions(we need to reference the newer version of Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Controls.dll. For anyone else following along at home here's updated step 3:

3) Right-click UKVSTS.WorktItemControls project and select Properties, click the Build Events tab, clean the Post-build event command line list box. Then click Application tab, select .NET Framework 4 for Target framework, click Yes.

Right-click UKVSTS.WorktItemControls project and select Add References, click Browse, browse to the directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies, select Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Controls.dll, click Add.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 2:06 PM
  • To close out this thread. We wrote a deployment batch script to copy the necessary DLLS onto everyone's machine. We've written a GPO (Group Policy) that will run this script once logon for each of the developers machines. 

Here's the deploycustomworkitem.bat contents:

@echo off
    echo.
    echo :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    echo :: Copying TFS 2010 Custom Work Item Controls to your machine::
    echo.
    echo These Files include:
    echo 1) The Checkbox Control
    echo 2) The Grid Control
    echo.
    xcopy /i /s /e /v /y "\\tfs-server-2010\customworkitems" "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Team Foundation\Work Item Tracking\Custom Controls"
    echo.
    echo The following directory has been updated: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Team Foundation\Work Item Tracking\Custom Controls
    echo.
    echo :: Copying files has completed. Your machine is up-to-date   ::
    echo.
    echo.
    pause 

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 4:09 PM
  • Hi Allen,

Thank you for sharing your experience here. That’s cool.

All your participation and support are very important to build such harmonious/ pleasant / learning environment for MSDN community.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards

John Qiao

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 1:56 AM
  • Hi Allen, Thanks for your answers. Can you just How can I achieve the same for web access.
    Friday, January 14, 2011 6:58 AM
  • Hi Allen, Thanks for your answers. Can you suggest how I can achieve the same for web access.
    Friday, January 14, 2011 6:58 AM
  • I'll look into web access this evening and see if I can figure out a solution. In the mean time look at the TSWA developer SDK from 2008.
    Monday, January 17, 2011 4:27 PM
  • Hi John,

I want to customize a checkbox to include inmy workItem, i got the solution from http://ukvsts.codeplex.com/SourceControl/list/changesets, but when i rebuilt the

WorkItemControls, I got this error...

The type or namespace name "SimpleImageEditControl" could notbe found ( are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

I followed  the instructions, but I couldn´t find where to select the framework 4

There is something that i missed?

Thanks

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 6:08 PM
  • thanks John

Could I Use this for TFS 2012 too?

also I coulnt find directory that John Qiao said in step 5,

where do I copy dll file to be add to my workItem Type?

Thanks Bahar Ghadami Web Developer And Technical expert

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 7:14 AM
  • Hi all ,

I find directory

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Team Foundation\Work Item Tracking\Custom Controls\11.0

But this issue must do in every client and also "windows work-item form" will have error,just my web form is correct.

finally I decide to have a combo box with tow (Yes-No) item.

thanks every one.

Thanks Bahar Ghadami Web Developer And Technical expert

Sunday, May 19, 2013 12:15 PM