none
Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_X86 should it say started in Services or not?

Question

• Hi,

(The machine I refer to is a Dell Intel i5 Windows 7 Professional X64 fully patched)

I have had problems for the last month since the last Windows Update.  

First the windows update for .Net v4.x uncovered:

Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at:
    <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cab>
    with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system 
    clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

I took the "Fix it" route

Article ID: 2328240 - Last Review: February 16, 2011 - Revision: 6.1
    Microsoft Support "Fix It"

Then I got a very unpredicatable boot order and times.  Lots of hangs, attempts to shutdown gracefullly were often not possible, I had to power down 6 or 7 times.

I went through the event log and found that the 30,000 ms timeout was often being

reached by a selection of services.

I reset the timeout interval to 120,000 ms.

In the Registry Editor, click the registry subkey 
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control. 
    In the details pane, locate the ServicesPipeTimeout entry,
    right-click that entry and then select Modify. 

this seemed to improve matters a little.

Today this timeout interval was reached (120,000) by several processes.

the .Net 4 service seemed to often be one of those that hung.

I downloaded the verification utility and ran it for .Net 2.x, 3.x, 3.5x, 4.x

Verification succeeded for product .NET Framework 2.0 SP2
    Verification succeeded fro product .NET Framework 3.0 SP2
    Verification succeeded for product .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

Section [Registry - .NET Framework 4 Client (Wow6432Node)] - stop parsing entries
    Processing custom action 'Custom Action - .NET Framework 4.0 test application'

ExecutablePath = 'Netfx40TestApplication.exe'
    FriendlyName = '.NET Framework 4 test application'
    TimeoutSeconds = '300'
    WaitOnExit = 'true'
    Silent = 'true'
    Launching process 'Netfx40TestApplication.exe' now
    Process successfully launched. Waiting 300 seconds for it to complete.
    Process 'Netfx40TestApplication.exe' exited with return code 0
    Verification succeeded for product .NET Framework 4 Client

It seemed that all the .Net installations were OK

BUT

I got errors for files missing in the log file setupverifier_errors_05-03-12_20.59.22.txt

=========================================================
     Beginning of new SetupVerifier error logging session
    Activity log file location: C:\Users\Pete\AppData\Local\Temp\setupverifier_main_05-03-12_20.59.22.txt
     Error log file location: C:\Users\Pete\AppData\Local\Temp\setupverifier_errors_05-03-12_20.59.22.txt
     Build created on December 29, 2011
    Detected operating system: Windows 7 (x64)
    ***WARNING*** File C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\sbscmp20_mscorlib.dll is not installed on the system
    ***WARNING*** File C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\WPF\wpftxt_v0400.dll is not installed on the system
    ***WARNING*** File C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\WPF\WPFFontCache_v0400.exe is not installed on the system
    ***WARNING*** File C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\WPF\wpftxt_v0400.dll is not installed on the system
    SetupVerifier exiting with return value 0

As I was not sure if the installation was good or not I went to programs and repaired the 

.Net 4 entry, it validated the signatures, installed and seemed to have gone smoothly, asking for a reboot at the end.

Final Result: Installation completed successfully with success code: (0x80070BC2), "The requested operation is successful. Changes will not be effective until the system is rebooted. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:02:32).
    [5/3/2012, 21:37:31]WM_ACTIVATEAPP: Focus stealer's windows WAS visible, NOT taking back focus
    [5/3/2012, 21:38:2]Rebooting now.

I did this and then ran the verification tool on .Net v4.x and got:

========================================================
    Activity log file location: C:\Users\Pete\AppData\Local\Temp\setupverifier_main_05-03-12_21.40.42.txt
    Error log file location: C:\Users\Pete\AppData\Local\Temp\setupverifier_errors_05-03-12_21.40.42.txt
    ***WARNING*** File C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\sbscmp20_mscorlib.dll is not installed on the system
    ***WARNING*** File C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\WPF\wpftxt_v0400.dll is not installed on the system
    ***WARNING*** File C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\WPF\WPFFontCache_v0400.exe is not installed on the system
    ***WARNING*** File C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\WPF\wpftxt_v0400.dll is not installed on the system

For the past month on any occasion I viewed the Services list the .Net 4.x X86 & X64 were always set to be either Automatic (Delayed) after windows Update and also repair.  What I didn't understand was that the Services were NEVER started.  Even when I altered the startup type to Automatic the Services were NOT started.

Now having repaired the installation the services are ALWAYS started whenever I go to them.

Please can someone advise me what is the correct behaviour?

Is the log trace I've included enough to decide whether I should uninstall and download and install a fresh copy of the standalone program?

I have to confess that a Diagnostic utility that says on each scan that the installation is OK but has errors in the log and missing files is very hard to interpret.

I would appreciate any help in understanding the way this code should work and if it is installed and functioning correctly on my machine.

Thanks 

HelterVSkelter

P.S

before embarking on any of this I scanned with

Total Anti-Virus Test Completed
    1) Hitman Pro
    2) prevx
    3) Vipre
    4) MalwareBytes
    5) Spybot
    6) SuperAntiSpyware
    7) Defender
    8) Emisoft
    9) ESET
    10) TDSSKiler (Kaspersky)

Thursday, May 03, 2012 11:25 PM

Answers

• Hi HelterVSkelter,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx?PageIndex=3

On this blog, Aaron has this comment

"Hi HelterVSkelter - I'm sorry for the confusion.  The warnings reported in the log file can be safely ignored.  There are some files that are only installed by the .NET Framework on certain versions of Windows, so the verification tool reports warnings if those files are missing.  I will clarify this in the readme in a future release of the verification tool."The code 0 means that you verified .NET Framework successfully. I'm afraid it is not the problem.

It seems that those warning messages are not error message and can be ignored. You are not required to have those files on your OS.

So may I ask does your problem is actually like this,"you failed to install the update for .NET 4?" If so, could you please show us the KB number?  From your error "A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file." It seems that some kind of files were expired and I think we need more information. I suggest you navigate to your %temp% folder, finding out the specific update logs(KBXX-Date-XXX), upload the file to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here. Then we will check the reason why you can't install that update.

If you have any  updates, please feel free  to let me know.
    Best regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, May 07, 2012 6:11 AM

All replies

• The verifier seems to think your .NET Framework installations are valid, but I note that you have only the .NET Framework 4.0 client profile installed.

This is just a SWAG, but if you install the full .NET Framework 4.0, then run the verifier, see if the warnings are still there.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718

Friday, May 04, 2012 1:09 PM
  • Hi pvdg42,

I downloaded the full .Net Framework v4.0 using your link, thanks.

The install seemed to go OK, the event viewer showed 2 warnings

Event ID 1020 (ASP.NET 4.0.30319.0)

Updates to the IIS metabase were aborted because IIS is either not installed or is disabled on this machine. To configure ASP.NET to run in IIS, please install or enable IIS and re-register ASP.NET using aspnet_regiis.exe /i.

I have no idea if this is good or bad.

I ran the verify program again, rather puzzlingly it offered to test 2 entries, client v4.0 and Full v4.0

1) .Net 4 Client

setupverifier_errors_05-05-12_03.10.30.txt

=======================================================
    Activity log file location: C:\Users\Pete\AppData\Local\Temp\setupverifier_main_05-05-12_03.10.30.txt
    [05/05/12,03:10:30] Error log file location: C:\Users\Pete\AppData\Local\Temp\setupverifier_errors_05-05-12_03.10.30.txt

2) .Net Full

setupverifier_errors_05-05-12_03.10.30.txt

=======================================================
    Activity log file location: C:\Users\Pete\AppData\Local\Temp\setupverifier_main_05-05-12_03.10.30.txt
    Error log file location: C:\Users\Pete\AppData\Local\Temp\setupverifier_errors_05-05-12_03.10.30.txt

Still the program says verified successfully for both Client & Full, but still the errors files show that files are not installed on my system.

Could this mean that the installation does NOT require or install these files? (checked for, but not necessary?)

How reliable is the verification program?

I am confused by the mixed messages between the program resultant message and the error files.

Would appreciate advice on how to interpret this and how best to proceed,

Thanks

HelterVSkelter

P.S.

I am now offered a slew of windows updates for .NET Framework v4.x (9)

I am concerned that the security of just this package is not good, but I don't want to apply the patches until I get a correct install of the base package. Is there another way to install and get no errors?

Saturday, May 05, 2012 2:40 AM
  • I have researched the missing file warnings in MSDN and found several references. The vast majority of the posters had to reinstall Windows 7 to resolve the issue.

I realize this is not welcome news, but in your situation, I'd reinstall Win 7 as the quickest way to get it all straight.

Saturday, May 05, 2012 3:48 PM
  • Hi pvdg42,

Reinstalling the Operating System is NOT an option here.

I have uninstalled both the client and extended .Net Framework v4.x packages.

On the next boot Windows 7 Pro created 2 new sevices:

Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v2.0.50727_X86 

Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v2.0.50727_X64

They ran and did their optimisation (Automatic Delayed Services) and stopped, on the next boot the services were set to Manual.

Is it possible to improve performance optimisation above this?  I noticed that the highest .Net Framework native support is for .Net Framework v3.5x (SP1). 
    Can I force the Operating System to use this?

I Would appreciate your advice on making the Best of what Win 7 Pro can offer natively,  WITHOUT installing .Net Framework v4.x.

Thanks

HelterVSkelter

Saturday, May 05, 2012 11:52 PM
  • You cannot, as the user of software, force use of a .NET Framework other than the version chosen by the software designers. The OS does not control application support requirements.

I'm sorry to say that I have no other suggestions. I hope somebody else can offer you an alternative.

Sunday, May 06, 2012 1:28 PM
  • Hi HelterVSkelter,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx?PageIndex=3

On this blog, Aaron has this comment

"Hi HelterVSkelter - I'm sorry for the confusion.  The warnings reported in the log file can be safely ignored.  There are some files that are only installed by the .NET Framework on certain versions of Windows, so the verification tool reports warnings if those files are missing.  I will clarify this in the readme in a future release of the verification tool."The code 0 means that you verified .NET Framework successfully. I'm afraid it is not the problem.

It seems that those warning messages are not error message and can be ignored. You are not required to have those files on your OS.

So may I ask does your problem is actually like this,"you failed to install the update for .NET 4?" If so, could you please show us the KB number?  From your error "A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file." It seems that some kind of files were expired and I think we need more information. I suggest you navigate to your %temp% folder, finding out the specific update logs(KBXX-Date-XXX), upload the file to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here. Then we will check the reason why you can't install that update.

If you have any  updates, please feel free  to let me know.
    Best regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, May 07, 2012 6:11 AM