none
VB.NET appliction cannot start from server share, hangs in splash screen

Question

• Hi,

The application can run form the Visual Studio 2012 environment, and when i copy the exe file to the share on the server it runs ok from my own PC.

BUT... whenever i try to start the program from any other PC, it starts, but keeps hanging in the Splash screen, and i can only end the program i Windows Task Manager.

I have also tried to publish the application from Visual Studio, like it's described in the manual.

Is this a Visual Studio 2012 problem ???

Please advice.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:15 AM

Answers

• Fixed it !!

The application is using a data source name, and i have created this on my own PC.
    The data source name is also created on the server where the application is copied to.

So, when i run the application from my own PC, it works, but when i run it from another PC it doesn't work.

Seems like i have to create a data source name on every PC that runs the application. I thought the appliation would use the data source name created on the server ???

Br

Pettsen

• Edited by pettsen Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by pettsen Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:51 PM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:44 AM

All replies

• Look at the Event viewer to see if any warnings or error occur at the time of the issue.

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer

jdweng

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:33 PM
  • sorry to say, no error or waring in eventviewer on server or local PC that try running the
    application
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:50 PM
  • How did you install the program on the other computers?  You should run publish in VS to a CD.  The CD doesn't have to be a cd.  It can be any folder that you have write permission.  After publish find the folder with "SETUP.EXE" in the root folder.  Then copy the setup folder and all sub folders to a location that you can access on the other computers and install like any commercial software.

jdweng

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:54 PM
  • Hmmm, thank for the answer, tried that, but still same problem.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:02 PM
  • Fixed it !!

The application is using a data source name, and i have created this on my own PC.
    The data source name is also created on the server where the application is copied to.

So, when i run the application from my own PC, it works, but when i run it from another PC it doesn't work.

Seems like i have to create a data source name on every PC that runs the application. I thought the appliation would use the data source name created on the server ???

Br

Pettsen

• Edited by pettsen Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by pettsen Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:51 PM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:44 AM
  • Hi pettsen,

I have involved the VB expert to further look at this issue. I am moving your thread into the Visual Basic Forum for dedicated support. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:51 AM