none
DDE Spy and monitoring DDE messages on a machine

Question

• I'd like to monitor the DDE messages on my machine being used by an Excel Addin. I know very little about DDE so bear with me...

As I understand it when DDE messages are sent there's a shared memory area often used for the actual data of the message. Can I see / log this data using Spy++ or some other diagnostic tool? It sounds like perhaps DDE Spy did this but it appears to have been superceded by Spy++ and is no longer available.

Thanks,

Rory
    Friday, September 18, 2009 5:26 PM

Answers

• Hello Rory,

Thanks for your feeback.

>Can I see / log this data using Spy++ or some other diagnostic tool?

We can using Spy++ to log the DDE message, you can right click the window and click the Message menu, and then press "CTRL + O" to Open Message Options dialog, select Messages tab and check the DDE messsage.

Thanks,
    Rong-Chun Zhang
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 10:28 AM

All replies

• You might have to break into a museum to get a copy of DDESpy. The DDE technology is gasping its last breathes. It comes with Microsoft Visual Studio 6 and probably is part of one of the MSDN SDK's from that era. Try eBay.
    Friday, September 18, 2009 7:04 PM
  • Hello Rory,

Have you got any progress on this issue with Brian's suggestion? If there is anything else we can help, welcome to post here.

Thanks,
    Rong-Chun Zhang
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:48 AM
  • I've not got any further with this yet but plan to play around with some DDE libraries to see what information I can capture. If anyone has some tips on this sort of "monitoring DDE" rather than the normal using DDE for IPC then I'm all ears. Otherwise I'll come back when I have more specific questions.

thanks,

Rory
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 1:04 PM
  • Hello Rory,

Thanks for your feeback.

>Can I see / log this data using Spy++ or some other diagnostic tool?

We can using Spy++ to log the DDE message, you can right click the window and click the Message menu, and then press "CTRL + O" to Open Message Options dialog, select Messages tab and check the DDE messsage.

Thanks,
    Rong-Chun Zhang

Thursday, September 24, 2009 10:28 AM
  • Interesting, Rong-Chun. I didn't know this feature of Spy++.
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Hello Rory,

It has been several days, have you got any progress on this issue? If there is anything else we can help, welcome to post here.

Thanks,
    Rong-Chun Zhang
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg[at]microsoft.com
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 3:03 AM
  • Thanks Ron-Chung Zhang!
    Within Spy++ I'm not sure whether I get to see all the data in the DDE message in this way or not - since as I understand it DDE messages don't just use the contents of the windows message to send data, they also use some shared memory area. I haven't got the DDE programs to hand but will re-post if I have any more questions.
    many thanks,
    Rory
    Thursday, October 08, 2009 9:06 AM
  • DDE messages don't just use the contents of the windows message to send data, they also use some shared memory area.
    Correct. They use the global atom table. DDEML offers the functions CreateStringHandle, QueryStringHandle etc., but I suspect that this ultimately uses the functions GlobalAddAtom, GlobalFreeAtom etc.
    Friday, September 17, 2010 8:05 AM