none
LNK2019 unresolved external symbol error

Question

• Hey everyone. Im creating a program that inputs polygon data and outputs polygon projections. When compiling some code I get the following build output.

------ Build started: Project: projection, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------

Compiling...

homework6.cpp

Linking...

projection.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "class vector<double> __cdecl operator*(class vector<double> &,class vector<double> &)" (??D@YA?AV?$vector@N@@AAV0@0@Z) referenced in function "void __cdecl parallel(void)" (?parallel@@YAXXZ)

projection.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "class vector<double> __cdecl operator*(class vector<double> &,double)" (??D@YA?AV?$vector@N@@AAV0@N@Z) referenced in function "void __cdecl parallel(void)" (?parallel@@YAXXZ)

C:\Documents and Settings\Flame\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\projection\Debug\projection.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals

Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Flame\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\projection\projection\Debug\BuildLog.htm"

projection - 3 error(s), 0 warning(s)

========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Im using a custom built data structure to hold my vertices called "vector" The problem arises when attempting to do vector cross products in my line:

Ry = Rz * Rx;

Where Ry, Rz, and Rx are all of datatype vector<double>. The code for calculating the cross product is this:

template <class ElType>

vector<ElType> operator*(vector<ElType>& a, vector<ElType>& b)

{

assert(a.len == b.len);

vector<ElType> ans(.len);

ans[0] = a[1]*b[2] - a[2]*b[1];

ans[1] = a[2]*b[0] - a[0]*b[2];

ans[2] = a[0]*b[1] - a[1]*b[0];

return ans;

}

The code is intended to assign vector Rz to vector a and vector Rx to vector b for calculation. Not sure if this will help at all but here is my vector class definition as well:

class vector

{

friend class matrix<ElType>;

ElType * data;

int len;

public:

int length()const;

vector();

vector(int n);

~vector(){ delete [] data;}

//Copy operator

vector(const vector<ElType>& v) ;

//assignment operator

vector<ElType>& operator =(const vector<ElType> &original);

ElType& operator[](int i)const ;

void zero();

vector<ElType> operator+(const vector<ElType>& v);

vector<ElType> operator-(const vector<ElType>&v);

void rprint()const; //print entries on a single line

void resize(int n);

void homog();

void remap();

double magnitude();

int operator==(const vector<ElType>& v)const;

friend vector<ElType> operator*(ElType c,vector<ElType>& v );

friend vector<ElType> operator*(vector<ElType>& v,ElType c );

friend vector<ElType> operator*(vector<ElType>& a, vector<ElType>& b);//My problem function

//friend ostream &operator<<(ostream& s,vector<ElType>& v);

};

So does anyone have any idea what is going on here? Id greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 10:53 PM

Answers

• Did you put the implementation in a class or a namespace? It should be in the global namespace.

--
    SvenC

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 5:44 AM

All replies

• Where did you implement 

template <class ElType> vector<ElType> operator*(vector<ElType>& a, vector<ElType>& b)

Is that file in the project, so that it gets build?

--
    SvenC

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 11:08 PM
  • Its implemented in a header file that is linked to the source/project. So yes, its in the project and gets built.
    Tuesday, November 07, 2006 11:25 PM
  • Are you sure?  Can you paste this implementation in your reply?
    Wednesday, November 08, 2006 2:23 AM
  • Absolutely sure - when commenting out my lines using the cross product function it runs fine (I have to use the header file for vector/matrix addition as well as the type definition of 'vector' and 'matrix')

but heres the top of my .cpp file:

#include <iostream>

#include <gl/glut.h>

#include <windows.h>

#include <vector>

#include "matrix.h"

#define HOMOG 4

so the header file is called matrix.h - and is in the same folder as the .cpp file (which explains the use of the quotes)

I guess my problem is harder than I thought?

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 2:36 AM
  • Did you put the implementation in a class or a namespace? It should be in the global namespace.

--
    SvenC

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 5:44 AM
  • Not sure what you mean by that - but I ended up using a workaround for it. I think the problem was tied to an overloading of the * operator which was dependent upon what the vector was paired with for multiplication.

Anyways - I appreciate the help guys. Ill just consider it resolved.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 5:49 AM