none
.Net Framework 4.0 with Win XP SP2

General discussion

• I understand that the .Net Framwork 4.0 requires SP3 for Windows XP. It seems like 4.0 framework apps run without errors in SP2. Has anyone else tried this? Are there any specific gotchas?

We are talking about an isolated group of users that will eventually be ugraded in a few months, but we'd like to go to 4.0 now because the Click Once is supposed to improved and worked well in our testing. Any insight into the potential pitfalls would be appreciated. 

Thanks 

• Changed type YiChun Chen Friday, May 07, 2010 5:37 AM
    • Changed type YiChun Chen Monday, May 24, 2010 7:13 AM Change back to discussion
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 3:13 PM

All replies

• Hi MicroMite,

Firstly, I've changed the type of your post from "Discussion" to "Question". I believe that this concern is beneficial to other community members who have similar concern as you.

As we know, to run .NET Framework application, we need to install the related .NET Framework as prerequisite on the target machine to support it.
    This means, if we want to run .NET Framework 4.0 applications smooth and stable, we should install .NET Framework 4.0 on the target machine because it is the foundation of the applications.

As you mentioned, .NET Framework 4.0 is supported on the following Windows XP related OS:

Windows XP Home Edition SP3
    Windows XP Professional SP3

For more information on the system requirements of .NET Framework 4.0, please check:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a391abd-25c1-4fc0-919f-b21f31ab88b7&displaylang=en#Requirements
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8z6watww.aspx

Thus, for your concern, I think, to run .NET Framework 4.0 application, we should run it on Windows XP SP3 machine.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:07 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by MicroMite Monday, May 17, 2010 5:33 PM
    • Proposed as answer by André Krijnen Wednesday, May 19, 2010 10:09 AM
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Wednesday, May 26, 2010 3:41 AM typo
    Friday, May 07, 2010 5:50 AM
  • Hi MicroMite,

Does the above suggestion work?

If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:12 AM
  • Hi MicroMite,

I've marked my reply as answer. If you have any concern, you can unmark my reply and let me know.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:07 AM
  • Hi YiChun, I understand that XP SP3 is the supported OS. I was looking for any experiences that people could relate regarding the use of XP SP2 with the .Net Framework 4.0. We realize that it is unsupported and that we would be on our own if something fails. If anyone has any feedback, it would be appreciated...Thanks
    Monday, May 17, 2010 5:40 PM
  • Hi MicroMite,

Thank you for your reply.

I think that the "unsupported" here means that we cannot even install .NET Framework 4.0 on Windows XP SP2.

I tried to install .NET Framework 4.0 on a clean Windows XP SP2 machine. The installation failed. It's the normal behavior.
    .NET Framework 4.0 installer checks the bottom line of the minimum requirement during the installation. If any minimum requirement is not met, the installation will fail.
    Thus, we need to upgrade Windows XP SP2 to SP3 to support .NET Framework 4.0 installation.

I'm not quite sure why you mentioned "It seems like 4.0 framework apps run without errors in SP2." in your original post. Have you ever experienced it or heard it? If yes, please show me the detail information on that.

If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 5:20 AM
  • Hi MicroMite,

I'm writing to follow up this thread.

Please let me know if you need more help when you feel free.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 3:24 AM
  • Hi YiChun,

Yes, we have installed the 4.0 .Net Framework, using an executable, on a several machines with windows xp SP2 without any issues. We also are running our application without experiencing any errors, but we still plan additional testing. We have not experienced any installation failures like you mentioned when installing the 4.0 framework on xp sp2.

Friday, May 21, 2010 2:07 PM
  • I think we are ok, but anyone else who can relate their experience with XP SP2 and the 4.0 .Net Framework, would be appreciated...Thanks, Gary
    Friday, May 21, 2010 2:09 PM
  • Hi MicroMite,

Thank you for your feedback and clarification.

I've changed this post back to "Suggestion" type. It is welcomed if anyone has similar experience.

If I can find any helpful information, I will let you know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Monday, May 24, 2010 7:21 AM
  • Hi YiChun,

I don't understand the line above about .NET 4.0 being supported on Windows XP Professional x64 Edition SP3.  I thought Windows XP x64bit stopped at SP2?

Is NET 4.0 supported on Windows XP x64 SP2?

Thanks,

Sam

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 9:21 PM
  • Hi Sam & MicroMite,

Frankly speaking, I have not tried Windows XP x64 machine to test the installation. Thank you for your clarification.

I have to admit that the document is not very clear.

Could you please help me to have a try to install .NET Framework 4.0 on Windows XP x64 SP2?
    Please follow the instruction here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a391abd-25c1-4fc0-919f-b21f31ab88b7&displaylang=en#Instructions to install it.

If you can install .NET 4.0 on Windows XP x64 SP2 with the instructions, I would suspect that the machines that MicroMite mentioned might also be Windows XP x64 SP2. Can MicroMite help me to check that?

Look forward to your reply.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 3:44 AM
  • .NET Framework appears to install on Windows XP x64 sp2.  There were no installation errors, but I need to do some more rigorous testing.  I will reply when complete.

Regards,

Sam

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 12:37 PM
  • The machines that we upgraded to .Net Framework 4.0 are Windows XP 32bit and are on SP2 now and were at the time of upgrade. Our application appears to be working fine. We understand that the Framework 4.0 is untested under Windows XP 32bit SP2, but as I mentioned earlier, we need to do this to get us by for a few months.
    Wednesday, June 09, 2010 3:34 PM
  • Hi MicroMite

I've successfully installed .net framework 4 on several XP (32bit) SP2 machines from network installationsetup file  (exe) and it has worked fine with the app that requires it. Obviously an unsupported setup but not found any problems - yet! I wonder if the web installer has a block on SP2 but the exe allows it.

Regards

Darren

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:52 AM
  • Can you get to me any instructions? I don´t know how to install net framework 4 on SP2...

Sorry my bad English

Regards.

Sunday, November 18, 2012 6:04 PM