none
Runtime Error R6034 installing VS2008 on Vista

Question

• I am trying to install Visual Studio 2008 Professional (Full Installation) on Vista Enterprise w/ SP1 32bit.  The installer completes "Runtime Pre-requisites," "Microsoft Documnet Explorer 2008," and "Microsoft Visual Studio Web Authoring Component" without problems.  While installing component "Microsoft Visual Studio 2008," I receive a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error when executing action: HxMerge_VSIPCC_VSCC_x86_enu.

Error:
    Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    Runtime Error!
    Program: C:\Progr...
    R6034
    An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.  Please contact the application's support team for more information.

I have verified .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, .NET Framework 3.0 SP2, and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 are installed correctly.  I have also run "sfc /scannow" to verify my system files.  I have even resorted to reinstalling the OS.

System details:
    MS Vista Enterprise w/ SP1 32bit
    AMD Phenom 8750B Triple-Core CPU 2.4GHz
    4GB RAM
    149GB Harddrive (106GB free)

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The C Run-Time Error R6034 means an application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library without using a manifest. I know a smiliar incident here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vssetup/thread/46804ece-703e-4427-88d7-d483e363da9a. There are some instructions by Yichun in that post might help on collecting more info (log files) on this issue.

It looks like to me that you have .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 already installed before installing Visual Studio 2008, right? Then do you have all other system updates (especially some important C runtime updates) via Windows Update?

Do you have any other Visual Studio SKUs (including Express Editions)/versions installed before?

Also, you may want to try uninstall .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, and let Visual Studio setup install 3.5 itself.

It could also be a corrupted file due to install media problem. If you are installing from a virutal DVD-ROM software, try extract the files from the ISO file and copy them to the hard disk and start setup from hard disk. Also check the ISO file's CRC value, if it doesn't match the value displayed on the MSDN subscription download site, then the file is corrupted and need to be download again.

Please provide more info on this error like log files. Meanwhile, I will check other sources to see if I can find more information regarding this error.

Thanks,
    Jie
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have any feedback, please tell us.

The CodeFx Project
    My Blog (in Simplified Chinese)
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 1:25 PM
  • Jie,

I've looked at the incident you posted and followed the instructions by Yichun but I'm still getting the same results.  Unfortunately I'm not allowed to post the log files since the computer is on a controlled network.

All the Windows updates have been applied.

I have not installed any other VS SKUs.

I have tried letting VS install .NET Framework 3.5 itself and pre-installing 3.5 before VS.  Both after a complete reinstall of Vista and updates.

I don't believe it could be a corrupted media problem.  The disks I am using are not from MSDN downloads.  They are Microsoft produced disks shipped from MSDN.

-Jason
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 4:20 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Could you also check the application event log for side by side error events? Here is a post on how to Diagnosing SideBySide failures. Please let me know if you found anything from the event logs.

Besides, you mentioned that you have re-installed the OS but the setup still fails, was Visual Studio 2008 the very first thing you were trying to install after the OS setup?

Thanks,
    Jie
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have any feedback, please tell us.

The CodeFx Project
    My Blog (in Simplified Chinese)
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 10:11 AM