none
Problem building setup project in Visual Studio 2008

Question

• I have just created my first setup project in Visual Studio 2008.  I am to the point where I want to build and test it.  When I right mouse click on the project and click 'build', I get an message saying "Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Tools (64-bit)".  This immediately failes with a rather cryptic error message that reads:

{Title of error windows is 'Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Tools (64-bit)}

0:Watson 1:1304 2:StreamSupportFiles

3:streamBinaryToDisk 4:5

5:e:\sql9_sp2_t\sql\setup\darwin\sqlcastub\streamca.cpp

6:238 7:sqlcasttub.dll 8:sqlrun.msi

When I click OK, I get 'Error writing to file: Access is denied.  Verify that you have access to that directory.  It continues the build after that.  The strange thing is my setup project has nothing to do with SQL Server.  It isn't a pre-requisite or anything like that, so I don't know why it would want to do anything with SQL Server 2005 Tools.

Any ideas?

• Moved by YiChun Chen Friday, May 07, 2010 8:55 AM Deployment issue (From:Visual Studio Setup and Installation)
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 11:23 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the reply.  I solved the problem by uninstalling all stuff related to SQL Server 2005, then installing SQL Server 2008.  This may not be an option for others but it worked for me!

• Marked as answer by andy pelkey Friday, May 07, 2010 6:08 PM
    Friday, May 07, 2010 6:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Andy,

I am moving this thread from Base "Visual Studio Setup and Installation" forum to the "ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects" forum, since the issue is related to deployment. There are more deployment experts in the "ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects" forum.

Thanks!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by andy pelkey Friday, May 07, 2010 3:02 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by andy pelkey Friday, May 07, 2010 6:06 PM
    Friday, May 07, 2010 8:55 AM
  • This sounds like a Windows Installer repair, usually a consequence of a shared component between the two products. The Application Event log may have an MsiInstaller entry saying Component {guid} failed for product {guid} and may show a file name that is damaged in some way.
    Phil Wilson
    Friday, May 07, 2010 5:40 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I solved the problem by uninstalling all stuff related to SQL Server 2005, then installing SQL Server 2008.  This may not be an option for others but it worked for me!

• Marked as answer by andy pelkey Friday, May 07, 2010 6:08 PM
    Friday, May 07, 2010 6:08 PM
  • I'm having the same issue, but don't have the luxury of installing the SQL 2008 tools since we are not using SQL 2008. Any other solutions to this?
    Monday, June 06, 2011 3:23 PM