none
Error: "Error reading setup initialization file" from autorun

Question

• I have been trying to install the MSVC++.net /Visual Studio and have run into a problem.  I am using the 2003 academic version and would like to install this on a Pentium M system running XP Pro SP2.  It is an HP notebook, so if there is a conflict there . . .

The error I get when either autorun or exploring->setup.exe runs is:

"Error reading setup initialization file"

which is in a window/graybox with a button that has  no value.  It closes the install window and then  stops.  Pressing the button allows the window to close, but the install is thwarted.

If it helps, I have seen some posts elsewhere for similar errors (for other program installs) which indicate that there is a missing tmp file or permission issues with the file.  I may be missing the tmp file (where should it be?) and permissions are not a problem, I am in Admin.

Help!
    Wednesday, September 21, 2005 10:44 PM

Answers

• Turns out it was a SP2 issue.  Uninstalled SP2, installed MSVC, then reinstalled the SP2.  Took several hours, but it worked.
    Saturday, September 24, 2005 12:58 AM

All replies

• Turns out it was a SP2 issue.  Uninstalled SP2, installed MSVC, then reinstalled the SP2.  Took several hours, but it worked.
    Saturday, September 24, 2005 12:58 AM
  • I previously had Visual Studio.Net Academic 2003 installed on my laptop. I had received it as part of a software package from my college. A while a ago when I tried to run it, I was unsuccessful. After a couple more times, I uninstalled it. Now I am trying to reinstall it and everytime I place the CD in and it autoruns I get a message telling me

"Setup has detected that some of the sytem components that are installed on your computer do not match the versions required for Visual Studio. Net. You must install a different version of these components."

Can someone explain what that means and tell me what I can do to solve it?
    Tuesday, May 16, 2006 2:42 AM