none
Server Error in '/ConfigWeb' Application

Question

• Hi Greg,

While working through the tutorial, I came across the following error when trying to log into the tutorialwebclient config (pg 130 of the tutorial.)  I'm sure I have done something wrong, and to try and narrow it down again, I re-did the tutorial from the ASP client application again...excluding regenerating the config repository:

Server Error in '/ConfigWeb' Application.

The server was unable to process the request due to an internal error.  For more information about the error, either turn on IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults (either from ServiceBehaviorAttribute or from the <serviceDebug> configuration behavior) on the server in order to send the exception information back to the client, or turn on tracing as per the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SDK documentation and inspect the server trace logs.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ServiceModel.FaultException: The server was unable to process the request due to an internal error.  For more information about the error, either turn on IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults (either from ServiceBehaviorAttribute or from the <serviceDebug> configuration behavior) on the server in order to send the exception information back to the client, or turn on tracing as per the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SDK documentation and inspect the server trace logs.

Source Error:

Line 78:             List<string> attemptedEps = new List<string>();
    Line 79:             traversePath = DynamicTraversePath.getTraversePath(hostNameIdentifier,configName, ref configProxy, attemptedEps, address, binding, user);   
    Line 80:             compositeServiceData = configProxy.getServiceConfiguration(hostNameIdentifier, configName, level, true, traversePath, user);
    Line 81:             if (compositeServiceData != null && compositeServiceData.Count> 0 && compositeServiceData[0] != null)
    Line 82:             {

Source File: c:\stocktrader\Configuration\ConfigManagementWeb\Nodes.aspx.cs    Line: 80

Stack Trace:

[FaultException: The server was unable to process the request due to an internal error.  For more information about the error, either turn on IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults (either from ServiceBehaviorAttribute or from the <serviceDebug> configuration behavior) on the server in order to send the exception information back to the client, or turn on tracing as per the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SDK documentation and inspect the server trace logs.]
       System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg) +7594687
       System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type) +275
       ConfigService.ServiceConfigurationContract.IServiceConfiguration.getServiceConfiguration(String targetHostNameIdentifier, String targetConfigServiceName, Int32 configurationLevel, Boolean probeDeeper, List`1 traversePath, ServiceUsers csUser) +0
       ConfigService.ServiceConfigurationRemote.ServiceConfigurationClient.getServiceConfiguration(String targetHostNameIdentifier, String targetConfigServiceNameIdentifier, Int32 configurationLevel, Boolean probeDeeper, List`1 traversePath, ServiceUsers csUser) in C:\stockrtm\Configuration\ServiceConfigurationClient\ServiceConfigurationClient.cs:361
       ConfigService.ServiceConfiguration.Web.Nodes.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\stocktrader\Configuration\ConfigManagementWeb\Nodes.aspx.cs:80
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
       System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +50
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +627

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3053; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3053

With all the steps, I'm just not sure where to begin looking.  Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Development Env:

Sql Server 2008

VSTS 2008

Server 2008

Thanks in advance,
    Darren

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:19 PM

Answers

• Problem solved.  I typed in the binding configuration name incorrectly...'Client_WsHttpbinding'.  That lower case b will get you every time.

Thanks,
    Darren

Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:21 PM

All replies

• Problem solved.  I typed in the binding configuration name incorrectly...'Client_WsHttpbinding'.  That lower case b will get you every time.

Thanks,
    Darren

Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:21 PM
  • cool, I was just about to post the following in terms of finding the error:

1)  Make sure, especially for a web app (which does not have security clearance at least on Win Server 2008/Vista/Win7 to create event sources, to run the installnewevent (or installnewevent64.cmd) command in [stocktradersetupdir]\setup\util on the server(s) hosting the web app to create the proper event source, where exceptions are written.  The name of the event source is specified in the repository create tool.

2)  It is sensitive to class names, binding names etc specified in repository create tool being precise...

3)  If you get an error like this, look in the event source for the app generating (in this case was tutorialclient web app/config service), in the windows Application event log on the computer(s) hosting the app throwing the exception...for windows/console hosted services, you should also see in the display (windows base host in the config console tab).

4)  My final suggestion was to go back and-regenerate the repository per tutorial; and make sure of cases, class names, etc.

5)  Binding names can be fixed up in ConfigWeb; but only if the issue is not a config service binding (which would prevent config service from working on that service host).

Glad you got it solved....

-Greg

Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:50 PM
  • Hi,

I am getting the below error, when I try to Buy or Sell in my "out of the box" Stocktrader 2.04 installation: Win2K8 virtual server (IIS7.0), connecting to a SQL2005 server. I must stress that I have worked through pages 7-30 of .NET Stocktrader 2.0 Installation and Configuration, coming across, and handling all the known things to watch out for...
    1. running "%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\Windows Communication Foundation\ServiceModelReg.exe" -r -y
    2. setting the anonymous logon to the tradeorders message queue. and also send message for Everyone
    3. setting the DTC network access: on both the server hosting and running StockOrders, and on the SQL server.

I am setting the Config (on the Stock Trader Smart Client to be .NET Stocktrader Business Services IIS Host, and it successfully connects.

I can successfully log on as uid:0.

But when I try to Buy a trade on the application in the web client I get the below error. (in the Smart Client I get the "Failed to process buy order, Exception: System.ServiceModel.FaultException...."

Can anyone make any suggestions to help me please!?

Ta
    Mick

The server was unable to process the request due to an internal error.  For more information about the error, either turn on IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults (either from ServiceBehaviorAttribute or from the <serviceDebug> configuration behavior) on the server in order to send the exception information back to the client, or turn on tracing as per the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SDK documentation and inspect the server trace logs. body {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size: .7em;color:black;} p {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;color:black;margin-top: -5px} b {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:bold;color:black;margin-top: -5px} H1 { font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size:18pt;color:red } H2 { font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size:14pt;color:maroon } pre {font-family:"Lucida Console";font-size: .9em} .marker {font-weight: bold; color: black;text-decoration: none;} .version {color: gray;} .error {margin-bottom: 10px;} .expandable { text-decoration:underline; font-weight:bold; color:navy; cursor:hand; }

Server Error in '/Trade' Application.

The server was unable to process the request due to an internal error.  For more information about the error, either turn on IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults (either from ServiceBehaviorAttribute or from the <serviceDebug> configuration behavior) on the server in order to send the exception information back to the client, or turn on tracing as per the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SDK documentation and inspect the server trace logs.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ServiceModel.FaultException: The server was unable to process the request due to an internal error.  For more information about the error, either turn on IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults (either from ServiceBehaviorAttribute or from the <serviceDebug> configuration behavior) on the server in order to send the exception information back to the client, or turn on tracing as per the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SDK documentation and inspect the server trace logs.

Source Error:

Line 109:            {
    Line 110:                symbol = TextBoxID.Text;
    Line 111:                order = businessServicesClient.buy(userid, symbol, quantityTrade);

Line 112:            }
    Line 113:            else if (ButtonTrade.Text.Contains("Sell"))

Source File: c:\stocktrader\StockTrader\StockTraderWebApplication\Trade\StockTrade.aspx.cs    Line: 111

Stack Trace:

[FaultException: The server was unable to process the request due to an internal error.  For more information about the error, either turn on IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults (either from ServiceBehaviorAttribute or from the <serviceDebug> configuration behavior) on the server in order to send the exception information back to the client, or turn on tracing as per the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SDK documentation and inspect the server trace logs.]
       System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg) +7596735
       System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type) +275
       Trade.BusinessServiceContract.ITradeServices.buy(String userID, String symbol, Double quantity, Int32 orderProcessingMode) +0
       Trade.StockTraderWebApplicationServiceClient.BusinessServiceClient.buy(String userID, String symbol, Double quantity, Int32 orderProcessingMode) in C:\stockrtm\StockTrader\StockTraderWebApplication\StockTraderWebApplicationClients\BusinessServiceClient.cs:252
       Trade.StockTraderWebApplicationServiceClient.BSLClient.buy(String userID, String symbol, Double quantity) in C:\stockrtm\StockTrader\StockTraderWebApplication\StockTraderWebApplicationClients\BSLClient.cs:435
       Trade.Web.StockTrade.ButtonTrade_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\stocktrader\StockTrader\StockTraderWebApplication\Trade\StockTrade.aspx.cs:111
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +111
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +110
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +36
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1565

Version Information:  Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3603; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3601

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 4:24 PM
  • Always look in the event log (application event log) on the computer.  For StockTrader, there are three application event log sources, and depending on where you are running each component (web app, business service, order processing service), you may need to look at mulitple computer's event logs.  In this case, look for the business service event log, anything that shows up as an error (red icon) for this even source.  You should also look at any other errors for other sources.  Often it is helpful to clear the application event log; then repeat just the actions that create the error/exception.  You will likely see two error conditions when running in remote mode, one for the client app (for example, the asp.net web app); and one for the service that is actually encountering the error condition.  The event log error conditions will give you more detail on what is happening than might be reported at the client, which is the message you see above in the browser.   Note the client is just designed to throw the exception back to the browser; but the error is likely being generated by the business service when trying to place the order on the MSMQ message queue.  It is this exception in the event log that will show more detail; under the app event source IIS Hosted Business Services; or Self-host business services, depending on which business service host you are running in your config.

-Greg
    Greg Leake, Microsoft
    • Proposed as answer by Ankush Dhingra Thursday, September 08, 2011 9:05 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ankush Dhingra Thursday, September 08, 2011 9:05 AM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 8:44 PM
  • Whenver I tried to acess the WSDL (Web Service Defination Language), I got the following error..

The server was unable to process the request due to an internal error. For more information about the error, either turn on IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults (either from ServiceBehaviorAttribute or from the <serviceDebug> configuration behavior) on the server in order to send the exception information back to the client, or turn on tracing as per the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SDK documentation and inspect the server trace logs.

Please let me know If I am doing something wrong..

------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, September 08, 2011 9:31 AM
  • Ankush, you question is very hard ot answer, too little details.

Usual workflow, you create your service, follow documentation how to implement it thought Config service (pretty simple at this stage). One pitfall i found - before doing any testing you always have to configure service through ConfigWeb prior anything, otherwise you get the exception you posted above, since service gets it configuration from DB not web.config on a start up.

MSDN Stocktrader Forum Alert
    Friday, September 30, 2011 4:51 PM
  • Dear Ankush,

change wcf  web.config file as below:

<

behaviorname="wcf.servicename">

<

serviceMetadatahttpGetEnabled="true"/>

<

serviceDebughttpHelpPageEnabled="true"includeExceptionDetailInFaults="true"/>

</

behavior>

Thursday, April 19, 2012 10:27 AM