none
vsto 2008

Question

• I have a question and I have searched over msdn for the answer.

Presently I have vs 2008  professional installed on my computer.

vs tools for office 2005. (default install in vs 2008)

I also installed on my computer office ultimate 2007 excel 2007 word 2007

and access 2007 etc. I did a complete install so that tools for the office

would be available. My question is this how can I incorporate office 2007

into visual studio 2008. This should  be an add/repair feature.

Do I need visual studio tools for the office 2008. I need some instructions

however I am really having trouble trying to get the documention on how to do this....

Please point me in the right direction.......           

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 8:31 PM

Answers

• Hi wm_s,

I think we need to make some clarification here.

In fact, there are three versions of VSTO:

1.       VSTO 2005

2.       VSTO SE

3.       VSTO 2008

VSTO 2005 can be installed in two ways. The first way is installing VSTS 2005, and VSTO 2005 is shipped. The second way is installing VSTO 2005 standalone product.

VSTO SE is used to develop Office Add Ins. It is a free tool and must be installed as an extension of Visual Studio 2005. It is for free and can be downloaded from Microsoft site.(6MB size)

VSTO 2008 is shipped with Visual Studio 2008 Professional and above edition. That is to say, if you install Visual Studio 2008 correctly, VSTO 2008 is already installed, not VSTO 2005.

Consequently, you can create VSTO solution by Menu File->New->Project, in New Project Window, selection Office node under Visual C#/Visual Basic node in the left panel. And then, all VSTO templates will appear in the right panel. If you want create the document level solution which integrates Word/Excel into Visual Studio, you need to choose Word 2007 Document/Template or Excel 2007 Workbook/Template.

Thanks,

Ji

Monday, March 17, 2008 9:02 AM
  • Thanks for your help, Norm.  I have managed to find the source of my problem: I had installed VS 2008 manually and had not chosen the Visual Basic components (because I do all my development in C#).  In order to see the Office option in File > New > Project, however, it seems that Visual Basic is required.  Once I added it from the DVD, the Office node appeared under C# projects as well as Visual Basic (although projects for Office 2003 only appear under the Visual Basic node).
    Tuesday, May 06, 2008 10:46 PM
  • I managed to fix it by reinstalling VS 2008.
    Sunday, May 11, 2008 5:50 PM

All replies

• Hi wm_s,

I think we need to make some clarification here.

In fact, there are three versions of VSTO:

1.       VSTO 2005

2.       VSTO SE

3.       VSTO 2008

VSTO 2005 can be installed in two ways. The first way is installing VSTS 2005, and VSTO 2005 is shipped. The second way is installing VSTO 2005 standalone product.

VSTO SE is used to develop Office Add Ins. It is a free tool and must be installed as an extension of Visual Studio 2005. It is for free and can be downloaded from Microsoft site.(6MB size)

VSTO 2008 is shipped with Visual Studio 2008 Professional and above edition. That is to say, if you install Visual Studio 2008 correctly, VSTO 2008 is already installed, not VSTO 2005.

Consequently, you can create VSTO solution by Menu File->New->Project, in New Project Window, selection Office node under Visual C#/Visual Basic node in the left panel. And then, all VSTO templates will appear in the right panel. If you want create the document level solution which integrates Word/Excel into Visual Studio, you need to choose Word 2007 Document/Template or Excel 2007 Workbook/Template.

Thanks,

Ji

Monday, March 17, 2008 9:02 AM
  • Thanks I finally installed vsto 2008 correctly sometime I will post how this is done Thanks for your help  

Monday, March 17, 2008 9:15 PM
  • Hi Ji,

I have a very similar problem.  I have VS 2008 Professional installed alongside Office 2003 and want to create Office 2003 add-ins.  When I try File > New > Project, I don't see the Office node at all.  I read somewhere that if had I installed Office after installing VS 2008, I would need to run VSTO.exe again; I couldn't remember the order in which I installed them, so I ran it anyway (from the VS 2008 installation DVD).  It hasn't made any difference.  Do I actually need to run VSTO SE?

All help gratefully received,

Ed Graham

P.S.  I am using a 64-bit machine.  Does this make a difference?
    Tuesday, May 06, 2008 12:12 PM
  •  

Hi Ji,

Try checking out the following topic - How to: Install Visual Studio Tools for Office to Develop for Microsoft Office 2003 at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc160742.aspx. This has instructions for installing VSTO so that you can develop for Office 2003.

Hope this helps -- Norm E.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 5:03 PM
  • Thanks for your help, Norm.  I have managed to find the source of my problem: I had installed VS 2008 manually and had not chosen the Visual Basic components (because I do all my development in C#).  In order to see the Office option in File > New > Project, however, it seems that Visual Basic is required.  Once I added it from the DVD, the Office node appeared under C# projects as well as Visual Basic (although projects for Office 2003 only appear under the Visual Basic node).
    Tuesday, May 06, 2008 10:46 PM
  • Hallo again Norm,

It turns out that I haven't quite solved my problem: I can only see the VSTO templates under the Visual Basic > Office node, not the C# node.  Under the C# > Office node, the only installed template is "InfoPath 2007 Form Template".

I want to create an Excel 2003 Workbook project in C# in VS 2008.  Any ideas?  I have just run both VSTOR.exe and VSTOR30.exe used the "repair installation" option, but this hasn't made a difference.

All answers gratefully received,

Ed Graham

Friday, May 09, 2008 11:41 AM
  • I managed to fix it by reinstalling VS 2008.
    Sunday, May 11, 2008 5:50 PM