none
Javascript Debugger Loses Symbols

General discussion

• I am trying to debug a JavaScript web site.  I have two development environments, both of which use VS2012.  The first environment is Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard/IE9 and the second is Windows 8 Pro/IE10.  Each environment has a local copy of the site.

I have no problems debugging in the Server 2008 environment, but in the Windows 8 system my debug symbols get lost the moment I transfer to a new page and my breakpoints go from solid red to the white circles.  Even if I go back to the original page the breakpoints don't become enabled.

As far as I can tell, all settings are identical between the two environments.

Have spent some time on this and am looking for any help I can get here.

Thanks,

Bob

Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Bob,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

Did you get anything error message under the Output window? If it is related to the symbols, maybe you would check the Module window under debugging mode. See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/4c8f14c9.aspx

In addition, since the same app worked well in other machine, maybe you could try to check whether it is related to the VS Environment, for example, if you create a new simple app in your machine, and debug it, whether it has the same issue? You could also check whether it is related to your IE. I have met the similar issue before, and it seems that it is related to the IE10. If you remove the IE10 here, and install the IE9, does it work well? Maybe you could try to reset your VS settings and IE settings, so we could make sure that it is not related to the settings.

If possible, you could share me a simple sample, I will try to debug it in my machine. Please also attach your Visual Studio project, you can upload it to the SkyDrive, and then share the download link in your post. Please also attach a screenshot image in your post.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, February 22, 2013 10:35 AM
  • So here's where I'm at:

Other apps work OK in this environment.  It's something about this one.  I inherited the app and there are libraries in it that I'm not overly familiar with.  So there might be something there.

Debugging works when I load the initial page.  As long as I'm on that page I'm OK.  Once I leave that page then the debugger no longer sees the symbols (i.e. white circles).  The Modules window shows that symbols were loaded that first time through, but not after I leave the page and then come back to it by clicking on a link.  There is no entry in the Modules window in this case.

However, if I use the back arrow in the browser to go back to the initial page, then the Modules window shows a new line with the symbols loaded.  Then the debugger works properly and breakpoints are hit.  It doesn't work if I link back to the page.

I used the F12/Developer Tools to try an IE9 version, but that didn't make a difference.

But:  When the F12 window is open and I'm on that initial page it shows me the complete listing for the page.  When I go off of that page it only shows "Loading..." and never shows me the code for the new page.  Again, if I use the back arrow to get back to the initial page, then the F12 works fine.

Friday, February 22, 2013 7:20 PM
  • Also:  I can use Chrome and its dev tools debugger just fine.  I can go back and forth between pages and establish breakpoints, etc.
    Friday, February 22, 2013 7:22 PM
  • Hi Bob,

Glad to receive your reply.

Since this forum is to discuss the VS debugger tool issue, to narrow down this issue:

If possible, you could create a simple JavaScript web site, and then debug it again.  If it worked well, I’m afraid that it is not the VS debugger tool issue, since it is related to the specific web site, you could post this issue in http://forums.asp.net where asp.net experts live in, and there you would get dedicated support. Note: if possible, I suggest you share the detailed steps in your new thread, so it will be helpful for the ASP.net expert to repro this issue.

But if all web sites have the same issue, I doubt that it is related to your Environment, to get the issue confirmed and diagnose by product team, would you please create connect report for it? You will get email notification for update.http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx, in addition, you could share me a simple sample, I will try to debug it in my machine. You could share us the link here if you submit the report, I will help you vote it if I get the same issue in the same Environment. You could send it to jackzhai at Hotmail dot com.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, February 25, 2013 2:52 AM
  • Hi Bob,

I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. 

What about this problem now?

Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestion?

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:32 AM
  • I'm going on vacation shortly for a couple of weeks and am unable to attend to this problem until I get back.

However, I don't think you can dismiss the debugger as not being at issue here so easily.  It's not at all impossible that the site that I'm trying to debug has glitched the debugger somehow.  I'm not saying that it has, but considering VS's complexity, I don't think it's so easy to rule it out.

My fundamental question would be how I find out why symbols are not loaded when going from one page to another in this site.  What would I be looking for?

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:13 AM
  • Hi Bob,

I'm going on vacation shortly for a couple of weeks and am unable to attend to this problem until I get back.

Would you mind changing the issue type to General Discussion because you will have a holiday?

If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to Question by opening the Options list at the top of the post editor window, and changing the type. 

My fundamental question would be how I find out why symbols are not loaded when going from one page to another in this site. What would I be looking for?

Sorry for that I couldn’t repro this issue, but one idea is that you could try to check the specific symbol with some tools like the process monitor, and check whether it has been loaded well or whether it has been used by other process.

Have a nice holiday,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:21 AM
  • Here's the issue:

We use a website called asana.com to handle our issue tracking.

This site requires the use of Chrome Frames, which installs a thing called ChromeFrame BHO.

Turn this on and I can't debug.

Turn this off and I can!

Friday, April 05, 2013 1:11 AM