none
OPENING VISUAL BASIC 6.0, DAO350.DLL, and "unexpected error; quitting"

Question

• Hi,

I could really use some help. I am not the most knowledgable and would  appreciate any guidance... I did a web search already at some sites including Microsoft, but I have not found a soultion yet.

Problem: CANNOT OPEN VISUAL BASIC 6.0; Says "Unexpected error; quitting"
    Machine/Software:
    OS: XP Media Center (although system info says XP Professional 5.1.2600 Service Pack2 Build 2600)
    PC: Acer AspireE36
    SW:Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise Edition

History:
    1. Could not open visual basic 6.0. I got the an error that the DAO350.DLL could not be found.

2. So following some suggestions from the web:
    a) Renamed old DAO350.DLL as DAO350.DLLOLD
    b) I took this file from Visual Studio Disk 1 and copied it into the
        C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO
    c) Regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\DAO350.DLL"
    d) Then I got a successful message that it registered
    e) It did not work. When I tried to open the visual basic 6.0 now I get:
    "Unexpected error; quitting" message.

WHAT DO I DO PLEASE?

I even loaded the component checker 2.0 as suggest via microsoft website to look up the Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC).
    (see Article ID: 304230 and 301202 on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304230 and htpp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=301202))

It says MDAC 2.8 SP1 ON WINDOWS XP SP2. I am not sure what this MDAC does for me, but I looked at it anyways.

Monday, March 19, 2007 3:01 AM

Answers

• To solve your problem, simply right click on your application file and select "Run as Administrator" (or google how to run a program as administrator for your OS).
    Monday, February 28, 2011 2:28 PM

All replies

• Hi.  I am in the exact position as the person above.  Steps A through E are occurring for me too.  I would really appreciate some help on this.  Getting VB 6 installed is extremely important for me.  PLEASE help.  Thanks!

-C

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 2:50 PM
  • Any ideas?  Thanks !

Friday, April 06, 2007 3:11 AM
  • Microsoft group? any help on this topic? What's the use of this forum?

Any action? I have the same problem like any millions. Any reply from you guys? Dont leave us hanging pls.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 12:25 AM
  • Same problem as I am meeting now.

After try to install and un-install the Gemplus Smart Card Programs/Drivers, I fail to open .vbp in VB6.

Then I uninstall the VB6 and re-install again.  However, the message ".... DAO350.dll" appeared and "Unexpected error; quitting" shows after "regsvr DAO350.dll".

It's OK to open VC but fail in VB :~~

On the other hand, there are "NO" items in Add/Remove Programs (in Control Panel) for me to uninstall the VS 6.0 now.

Please help !!

Thanks,

Patrick

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 4:19 AM
  • I've the same problem!

Did you fix it?

Thanks.

Saturday, May 10, 2008 1:29 PM
  • Unfortunately, I have no solution yet to the problem. I am not sure if it is ACER specific although that sounds odd. No help from any Microsoft gurus yet.

I guess my "solution" was:  

Although my company does have some (refurbished) (industrial-style) IBM PC's with XP Pro available at a good price  that allowed me to install Visual Studio and continue my work.  They are not costly and  mine has a dual OEM serial port to allow one to write firmware!! (not sure if all have dual serial port). They have 4 or 5 types of IBM brands. This is great because in the Vista world, some VB applications react differently (ours did - what a pain!)  Not a real solution, but I realize time is important, and I wasted so much time trying to fix this problem. It was just easier to get a good XP machine at good price. Let me know if you need this type of PC to continue your work and get around this problem.

Thanks,
    zfmicrosoft
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 8:33 PM
  • I'm in the same boat. Any help would be most appreciative. Thanks.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:23 PM
  • To solve your problem, simply right click on your application file and select "Run as Administrator" (or google how to run a program as administrator for your OS).
    Monday, February 28, 2011 2:28 PM
  • As John said...

"This forum does NOT support VB 6.0 questions"

Renee

Not a C officianado
    Monday, February 28, 2011 2:43 PM
  • not so. but this work:

rename dao350.dll in dao350.dll.old

copy dao360.dll at desktop

reaname dao360.dll in dao350.dll

move back new dao350.dll from desktop in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO

OVER. everything will work!

Monday, May 02, 2011 12:05 AM
  • Hi ALL,

This forum does NOT support VB 6.0 questions.

Please read the following post where the blue text portions are links to more web pages.>>

http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/6a0719fe-14af-47f7-9f51-a8ea2b9c8d6b

Please also see also this forum for VB6 questions.>>

http://www.programmersheaven.com/mb/VBasic/Board.aspx

This forum is for VB.Net questions only, sorry.

Just so you know, VBA and VbScript questions are not supported here as well.

For links to VB.Net tutorials see here.>> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vblanguage/thread/29f2179b-997b-4115-a96d-a0834853b835

Regards,

John

Click this link to see how to insert a picture into a forum post.

Installing VB6 on Windows 7

Monday, May 02, 2011 12:30 AM
  • Thats right this is a .Net forum and the fourth post is a sticky saying that this forum is no for VB6.

Renee

Monday, May 02, 2011 12:55 AM
  • Hi Renee,

I moved my earlier post from the year 2007, the one you quoted, to near the bottom of this thread.  ;-)

Regards,

John

Click this link to see how to insert a picture into a forum post.

Installing VB6 on Windows 7
    Monday, May 02, 2011 12:58 AM
  • Thank you very very match. You solve my problem. From now on I will try to be second.
    Thursday, October 04, 2012 3:50 AM