none
Sybase connection

Question

• I'm writing a data extraction app in C#. I've done many of them at my company, mostly Cache' and Oracle.

This one needs to extract data from a Sybase database. The only information I have is a user name and password. I don't know where the database is.

What are the precise questions I need to ask to enable my app to connect to the database?

Thanks,

Jon

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 2:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Jon,

You may have a look at this article about connecting strings to Sybase database:
    http://www.connectionstrings.com/sybase-advantage

Harry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Harry Zhu Thursday, July 22, 2010 6:45 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jon Q Jacobs Monday, July 26, 2010 11:15 PM
    Friday, July 16, 2010 11:07 AM
  • I had already figured out a connection string, but it was evident there was something missing. Now, after a lot if research...

When all is said and done, there is no way to connect with a Sybase ASE database without the $1500 SDK from Sybase. It comes with the database installation, but that was long long ago (and far far away in miles) before those labs were purchased by our company. Without going into the details, the Open Client, or any part of the SDK from those original installations, are not available to us now.

There may be an exception: If the app is written in Java, using JDBC, there may be a free driver avaliable. I am still researching that.

Monday, July 26, 2010 11:23 PM
  • good luck! Maybe other members have some ideas on it.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 3:09 AM