none
Will the TFS warehouse re-populate the old data with the new value of a list item of AllowedValues?

Question

• For severity field in Scrum template, I added a new list item as "Regression" one year ago. Now, I am planning to change it to "0 - Regression".

Will the TFS warehouse re-populate the old data with the new value?

My understanding it that I need to update the existing work items manually with the new value? Is that correct? or does TFS automatically do it for me?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help Thanks, --Kuldeep

Monday, January 07, 2013 2:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There are only 2 fields in TFS that are so called reference fields. These are Area and Iteration. If you rename an Area or Iteration, all data is automatically updated because the work items reference some kind of ID field.

In your case this is a list item within a work item or maybe it is a global list. No matter, in both cases all work items keep the value they had originally. So when you update to  [0-Regression] all older work Items will still have [Regression], resulting in 2 values in the TFS Warehouse.

The easiest way to fix it, is create a query that lists all work items that have this value with Excel, Update it and publish.

After that you can rebuild the warehouse, to make sure the old value will not exist any more.

Hope this helps!

Please mark as answer if my answers are useful!
    René van Osnabrugge
    MVP Visual Studio ALM
    W: www.delta-n.nl
    B: osnabrugge.wordpress.com
    T: @renevo

Monday, January 07, 2013 2:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There are only 2 fields in TFS that are so called reference fields. These are Area and Iteration. If you rename an Area or Iteration, all data is automatically updated because the work items reference some kind of ID field.

In your case this is a list item within a work item or maybe it is a global list. No matter, in both cases all work items keep the value they had originally. So when you update to  [0-Regression] all older work Items will still have [Regression], resulting in 2 values in the TFS Warehouse.

The easiest way to fix it, is create a query that lists all work items that have this value with Excel, Update it and publish.

After that you can rebuild the warehouse, to make sure the old value will not exist any more.

Hope this helps!

Please mark as answer if my answers are useful!
    René van Osnabrugge
    MVP Visual Studio ALM
    W: www.delta-n.nl
    B: osnabrugge.wordpress.com
    T: @renevo

Monday, January 07, 2013 2:11 PM
  • Thanks René. My understanding was correct then :)

I wanted to get it confirmed before I update the data, its lot of data :)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help Thanks, --Kuldeep

Monday, January 07, 2013 2:48 PM