none
Cannot install .NET Framework 2.0 on Windows Server 2003

Question

• Hello -

i'm stuck and i'm not sure what needs to be done.  I'm trying to install .NET Framework 2.0 onto my Windows Server 2003 SP2 (x86) box.

I need .NET Framework 2.0 to beable to run SQL Server 2005.  When I try to install the .NET Framework 2.0 (NetFx20SP2_x86.exe).  I get this message:

'A problem has been encountered while loading the setup components.  Canceling setup'

I even tried to install SQL Server 2005 which comes packaged with .NET Framework 2.0 and i'm getting this message:

'Required file install.ini not found.  Setup will now exit'

I'm not sure what is going on here.  I'm trying to install SQL Server 2005 from the CD why is it that it can not find install.ini.  The CD is not damaged.

Any help on this would be much appreciative.

Thank you,
    v/r
    JShidell

JES
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 9:55 AM

Answers

• Thank you for Eric's kindly help. :)

Hi JEShidell,

Some clarification with you:
    Is your OS Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2003 R2?

Windows Server 2003 (all x86 editions) includes the .NET Framework 1.1 as an OS component; 64-bit versions of Windows Server 2003 do not include a version of the .NET Framework as an OS component.

Windows Server 2003 R2
    includes the MSI-based .NET Framework 2.0. It appears in Add/Remove Windows Components as an OS component, but selecting it simply invokes the MSI-based installer.  The MSI can be repaired and removed using Add/Remove Programs regardless of whether it is installed via the standalone MSI or via the Add/Remove Windows Components UI.

Thus, if you have Server 2003 R2, please go back to the Add/Remove Windows Components via control panel to check whether .NET Framework 2.0 has been installed. If the feature has been turned on but the installation still fails, your issue can be related to corrupted .NET Framework 2.0. Please try Verification tool to verify .NET Framework 2.0 if you have Server 2003 R2.

If you have Server 2003 instead of Server 2003 R2, please try Cleanup tool to remove the failure installation of .NET 2.0. Then download .NET Framework 2.0 or .NET Framework 3.5 full package (which includes .NET 2.0 as prerequisite) and install it separately.
    If any error during the installation, could you please try to use collect tool to collect the log files of .NET Framework 2.0 or 3.5 from your "%temp%" folder ("Start" Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%" )?
    Collect Tool: http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2008/05/09/visual-studio-and-net-log-collection-utility.aspx

You can upload your log files to SkyDrive and post the link back here.

Steps:
    - Try to clean your "%temp%" folder
    - Install .NET Framework 2.0 or 3.5
    - Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder
    - Upload vslogs.cab file

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, October 06, 2009 3:47 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, October 07, 2009 5:14 AM
    Thursday, October 01, 2009 8:56 AM
  • As far as i can see it could be two things

1 I know windows2003r2 has Framework 2.0 installed by default, not sure if this is true with 2003 sp2. But in that case you might need to repair or only use the sp2 update

2 You downloaded only sp2 and not the entire package.

Furthermore, always copy this kind of installation files to a local harddrive. Not sure if you install from local media of from network, but sometimes installing over the network gives unwanted issues

Kind regards,

Eric van Glabbeek
    Willing to learn everything about Sharepoint there is to learn. My blog : sharepoint.vanglabbeek.nl
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 10:14 AM

All replies

• As far as i can see it could be two things

1 I know windows2003r2 has Framework 2.0 installed by default, not sure if this is true with 2003 sp2. But in that case you might need to repair or only use the sp2 update

2 You downloaded only sp2 and not the entire package.

Furthermore, always copy this kind of installation files to a local harddrive. Not sure if you install from local media of from network, but sometimes installing over the network gives unwanted issues

Kind regards,

Eric van Glabbeek
    Willing to learn everything about Sharepoint there is to learn. My blog : sharepoint.vanglabbeek.nl
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 10:14 AM
  • Eric -

Thank you for your response.

I am trying to install with the files on my local hard drive.  I tried to install the entire package and i'm still getting:

'A problem has been encountered while loading the setup components.  Canceling setup'

Still getting:

''Required file install.ini not found.  Setup will now exit'

When i try to install .NET framework 2.0 from SQL Server 2005.

I tried to do an OS repair to see if that might fix my problem, but when I boot into the Windows 2003 setup my hard drive is not detected.

Not sure what I can do from here.

Is it possible that my whole server is hosed? 

Thanks kindly for your help.

v/r
    JShidell

JES
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 12:15 PM
  • This really sounds like a hardware issue.
    Might be that there is something wrong with your harddisk.

use checkdisk to check if it comes up with something.

Kind regards,

Eric van Glabbeek

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 12:25 PM
  • Thank you for Eric's kindly help. :)

Hi JEShidell,

Some clarification with you:
    Is your OS Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2003 R2?

Windows Server 2003 (all x86 editions) includes the .NET Framework 1.1 as an OS component; 64-bit versions of Windows Server 2003 do not include a version of the .NET Framework as an OS component.

Windows Server 2003 R2
    includes the MSI-based .NET Framework 2.0. It appears in Add/Remove Windows Components as an OS component, but selecting it simply invokes the MSI-based installer.  The MSI can be repaired and removed using Add/Remove Programs regardless of whether it is installed via the standalone MSI or via the Add/Remove Windows Components UI.

Thus, if you have Server 2003 R2, please go back to the Add/Remove Windows Components via control panel to check whether .NET Framework 2.0 has been installed. If the feature has been turned on but the installation still fails, your issue can be related to corrupted .NET Framework 2.0. Please try Verification tool to verify .NET Framework 2.0 if you have Server 2003 R2.

If you have Server 2003 instead of Server 2003 R2, please try Cleanup tool to remove the failure installation of .NET 2.0. Then download .NET Framework 2.0 or .NET Framework 3.5 full package (which includes .NET 2.0 as prerequisite) and install it separately.
    If any error during the installation, could you please try to use collect tool to collect the log files of .NET Framework 2.0 or 3.5 from your "%temp%" folder ("Start" Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%" )?
    Collect Tool: http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2008/05/09/visual-studio-and-net-log-collection-utility.aspx

You can upload your log files to SkyDrive and post the link back here.

Steps:
    - Try to clean your "%temp%" folder
    - Install .NET Framework 2.0 or 3.5
    - Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder
    - Upload vslogs.cab file

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, October 06, 2009 3:47 AM typo
    Thursday, October 01, 2009 8:56 AM