none
.NET 4.0 installed, but not working

Question

• I have what looks to be the same issue as reported in earlier threads like this one: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/thread/58ff584d-e849-49e7-8c17-563296602017

If I use the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool, it reports .Net 4.0 is indeed failed.
    The log for both Client and Full shows the following failures:

***WARNING*** File C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\sbscmp20_mscorlib.dll is not installed on the system
    ***WARNING*** File C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\WPF\wpftxt_v0400.dll is not installed on the system
    ***WARNING*** File C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\WPF\WPFFontCache_v0400.exe is not installed on the system
    ***WARNING*** File C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\WPF\wpftxt_v0400.dll is not installed on the system

Steps already taken to troubleshoot this include fully uninstalling .NET 4.0 and reinstalling (both client and full); reinstalling .NET 4.0 over itself with a repair install; installing .NET 4.0 full over a client install; and I have even fully reinstalled Windows and started with a clean install. In all cases the same issue occurs. I've also run full disk scans etc., and my system is fully up to date with Windows Updates.

No .NET 4.0 app will run, but a few .NET 3.5 (or earlier) apps will. Additionally, a few desktop gadgets using .NET are broken if I have 4.0 installed. If I roll back to 3.5, all my old apps work again but obviously none of the new ones will.

My system is Windows 7 x64. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Thursday, September 09, 2010 3:23 PM

Answers

• Issue is fixed. I had to reinstall Windows for another reason, and this time no problems reoccurred. I guess it was some weird breakage in my Windows install.
    • Marked as answer by Jordi Kroon Tuesday, November 02, 2010 9:17 AM
    Tuesday, November 02, 2010 9:17 AM

All replies

• I had a similar problem. It was caused my installing 4 before 3.5. To rectify the issue, I had to install 3.5 followed by 4. This resolved the issue for me.

Best regards

Stu

Friday, September 10, 2010 9:36 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately .Net 3.5 is installed by default on Windows 7, so I cannot uninstall it.
    Friday, September 10, 2010 11:37 AM
  • Jordi, I'm in the exact same boat as you are. I can use the Cleanup tool mentioned on these forums to make my Win7 64bit general troubleshooting tool to work properly by removing .net 4, but the applications that need .net 4 to install, will not install. Also when .net 4 is installed, the applications that need .net 4 do not recongnise the it is installed, so they don't work anyways! I would like a fix to this that actually works.
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 12:35 AM
  • Hi Jordi Kroon,

Thank you for your post.

Based on your description, it seems that .NET Framework is not installed correctly on your machine.

Please check the following suggestions.

-          Please check whether .NET Framework 3.5.1 is turned on.

You could follow the following steps.

1.       Open Control Panel.

2.       Select Uninstall or change a program.

3.       Click Turn Windows Features on or off.

4.       In Windows Features Window, please check whether Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 is checked or not. If not, please check it to turn this feature on.

-          BTW, sbscmp20_mscorlib.dll is including .NET Framework version 4.0.31106.0. It seems that your .NET Framework is not installed correctly.

1.       Could you please download .NET Framework 4 from the following link?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a391abd-25c1-4fc0-919f-b21f31ab88b7

2.       Uninstall .NET Framework thoroughly from your hard disk.

3.       Disable anti-virus, any security software and firewall.

4.       Run .NET Framework installer as administrator and re-install it again.

If you have any issues during installing .NET Framework 4, please feel free to provide more clarifier error information or capture some screenshots in your reply.

CHEERS,

Larcolais Gong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Larcolais Gong Thursday, September 16, 2010 5:46 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jordi Kroon Thursday, September 16, 2010 2:59 PM
    Monday, September 13, 2010 3:25 AM
  • Hi Larcolais,

thanks for your answer. I have followed the steps above and see only one potential weird issue:

In the Windows Features Window, the box in front of 'Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1' is filled. The two options below it, 'Windows Communication Foundation HTTP Activation' and 'Windows Communication Foundation Non-HTTP Activation' are not selected. This appears to be the default.

I have reinstalled .NET Framework 4 from the link you provided, first disabling my copy of 'Microsoft Security Essentials' by unticking the 'Real Time Protection' box in the settings. I do not have a different antivirus or antispyware software installed.

The install succeeds without any error message, but following a reboot I have a non-functional install. The .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool again reports the same files as missing, and my .NET 4 applications say .NET is not installed. Additionally, one Widnows gadget that relies on .NET 3.5 is now broken, 7 Sidebar:  website

This message means that my .NET install is corrupt.

I get the following error message if I start any .NET 4 application:

If I uninstall .NET 4, the gadget and other .NET 3.5 applications work again.

• Edited by Jordi Kroon Tuesday, November 02, 2010 9:16 AM
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 3:05 PM
  • Jordi did you ever get this fixed? 

I have EXACT SAME PROBLEM as you, I'm also missing the EXACT same files according to .net install verification tool.

I do definitely have .net 3.5 fully installed and verifies OK, windows update is current. 

Like you having broken .net 4 install breaks apps that need 3.5 (like google chrome backup). 

Have tried multiple full uninstalls and reinstalls using web installer, full download or windows update. Same result happens every time: the same 4 files are NOT installed. 

***WARNING*** File C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\sbscmp20_mscorlib.dll is not installed on the system
    ***WARNING*** File C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\WPF\wpftxt_v0400.dll is not installed on the system 
    ***WARNING*** File C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\WPF\WPFFontCache_v0400.exe is not installed on the system
    ***WARNING*** File C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\WPF\wpftxt_v0400.dll is not installed on the system

Sunday, September 26, 2010 7:09 AM
  • I still have the same problem, and even reinstalled Windows 7 in the mean time. No fix there.

I have no idea what is going wrong here. The install appears to work, but seems to be arbitrarily skipping the four files.

Sunday, September 26, 2010 10:13 AM
  • I also reinstalled win7 64bit and that didnt do anything. On my fiance's computer, her old mobo fried and i had to use my old evga 750i FTW, which there is a dumb issue with the way hard drives are treated. Anyhow, I had to reformat it (after getting the data off) and went from Win 7 64 (before) to 32 (after) and .net 4 works perfectly!

I know, I know, Im not saying to go switch to 32bit (like those annoying Firefox people). I just saying that the 32 bit version works, from windows update at least. I still havent got .net 4 working on my computer (64 bit)

On a side note, I cant get IE9 beta installed, it is sayiing something like "service pack not supported" and im thinking it has something to do with the Win7 SP1 beta needing to be installed, but the website does not say it.

Sunday, September 26, 2010 4:57 PM
  • Interesting, Dusters16. On my PC the IE9 beta refuses to install with the same baffling error message about a service pack... the issues could very well be related.
    Sunday, September 26, 2010 7:11 PM
  • Issue is fixed. I had to reinstall Windows for another reason, and this time no problems reoccurred. I guess it was some weird breakage in my Windows install.
    • Marked as answer by Jordi Kroon Tuesday, November 02, 2010 9:17 AM
    Tuesday, November 02, 2010 9:17 AM
  • Is that it? I thanked the gods when I found this thread as I have exactly the same issue but I can't believe the only resolution is a complete reinstall of Win 7!

I'll keep looking and if I find something, I'll be back!

• Proposed as answer by teroteki Tuesday, September 06, 2011 9:24 AM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 7:53 PM
  • Sad to say that I've seen this exact issue same on win 7 x64 and vista x86 and been unable to find any remedy.

Out of our roughly 150 clients (mostly vista) there has been 2 - 3 incidents where .net 4 appear to be missing or faulty, and re-installing it has no effect.

It has been impossible to rectify in any other way than to re-install windows from scratch. After that it usually works like a charm.

We're using the .net Full (aka Extended) profile. But both the the client and full profiles are installed.

Friday, March 16, 2012 9:17 AM