none
TF Resolve auto:External not working in TEE-CLC SP1 beta

Question

• Hello  everyone! Trying to perform a baseless merge. Stuck with error about different encodings (the files have the same encodings). Trying to use auto:External to launch external merge tool (diffmerge). Nothing happens... Tryiing to overridem type, return serverPath must not be null and other nonsense...

Please, help!!! Any info about how to perform baseless merge from shell will be appreciated.

Below are some examples we receive from shell. The files are almost identical and we do not understand why encodings problem arises when doing baseless merge. If we do baseless merge fir these files in windows no problem - the option Merge in merge pool is available and we can resolve our conflicts without changing encoding...

~/.bashrc contains following lines:

TF_MERGE_COMMAND='diffmerge -m -t1 "%7" "%2" -t2 "%8" "%3" -t3 "%6" "%1" -r "%4"'

export TF_MERGE_COMMAND

> tf resolve $/CodeRepo2/trunk/main/test1/lcf_unconflicted.cpp -auto:External
    The files to be merged have different encodings, and no explicit conversion or override was specified.
    /home/user/tfs/srvmsktfsapp/CodeRepo2/trunk/main/test1/lcf_unconflicted.cpp: Another item with the same name exists on the server
    Conflict for /home/user/tfs/srvmsktfsapp/CodeRepo2/trunk/main/test1/lcf_unconflicted.cpp was not resolved

> tf resolve $/CodeRepo2/trunk/main/test1/lcf_unconflicted.cpp -auto:External -overridetype:utf-8
    serverPath must not be null
    /home/user/tfs/srvmsktfsapp/CodeRepo2/trunk/main/test1/lcf_unconflicted.cpp: Another item with the same name exists on the server
    Conflict for /home/user/tfs/srvmsktfsapp/CodeRepo2/trunk/main/test1/lcf_unconflicted.cpp was not resolved

> tf resolve $/CodeRepo2/trunk/main/test1/lcf_unconflicted.cpp -auto:AutoMerge
    The files to be merged have different encodings, and no explicit conversion or override was specified.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 10:15 AM

Answers

• I'm afraid that the fix for this one didn't make it into SP1 Final as we'd already finalized that build by the time we found the cause of this issue. 

As a workaround you could perform the merge using the Visual Studio Team Explorer command line on Windows  - less than ideal I know.  If you really need it to work from the cross-platform command line then could contact your Microsoft support contact referencing this forum thread and we will see what we can do for you.

Apologies,

Martin.

http://www.woodwardweb.com
    Friday, February 11, 2011 3:16 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hey! No one to answer this post? Hello????
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 12:36 PM
  • I apologize, you've located a bug in our handling of version conflicts that arise from baseless merge operations.  I've logged a bug to address this, however in the mean time, I'm afraid that you'll need to use the Windows-based clients to handle this conflict resolution.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Ed

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 10:33 PM
  • Hi-

I'm afraid that you've discovered a bug with resolving version conflicts that arise from performing baseless merge operations.

I've logged a bug to resolve these issues in a future release.  In the meantime, you'll need to use the Windows-based command-line client or Visual Studio to resolve these conflicts.

Sincerely,

Ed

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 5:57 PM
  • Hi-

I'm afraid that you've discovered a bug with resolving version conflicts that arise from performing baseless merge operations.

I've logged a bug to resolve these issues in a future release.  In the meantime, you'll need to use the Windows-based command-line client or Visual Studio to resolve these conflicts.

Sincerely,

Ed

Thanks for the reply! Will this bug be fixed in the final release of TEE-CLC SP1? By the way, do you happen to know when the final SP1 release will be shipped? Thank you very much in advance...
    Monday, February 07, 2011 8:41 AM
  • Hey, guys!!! Where are you? Still waiting for your answer about the fixing of this bug...
    Tuesday, February 08, 2011 10:50 PM
  • Is this incorrect behavior is fixed in SP1 Final? Please, answer!
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:02 PM
  • I'm afraid that the fix for this one didn't make it into SP1 Final as we'd already finalized that build by the time we found the cause of this issue. 

As a workaround you could perform the merge using the Visual Studio Team Explorer command line on Windows  - less than ideal I know.  If you really need it to work from the cross-platform command line then could contact your Microsoft support contact referencing this forum thread and we will see what we can do for you.

Apologies,

Martin.

http://www.woodwardweb.com
    Friday, February 11, 2011 3:16 PM
    Owner