none
How to verify IF a Visual C++ service pack HAS been installed?

Question

• I am using Visual C++ 6.o Professional (on Windows XP Service Pack 3) - to upgrade an even older project from Visual C++ 5.0.

I downloaded Service Pack 6 from the Microsoft site and, as far as I can tell, unpacked and subsequently installed the service pack.

BUT to my slight surprise, when firing up Visual C++ 6.0 afterwards, when checking the 'About' dialog box in VC++ 6 I see no sign or indication that the VC++ installation has changed or been updated.  I expected to see something in the dialog box indicating that a service pack was installed.

So...... is there any way to verify IF indeed the SP6 has been properly deployed ??   - and that the VC++ is now operating with all the relevant patches and bug fixes implemented.

Thanks

• Moved by Rob Pan Thursday, July 07, 2011 2:41 AM for better support (From:Visual C++ General)
    Tuesday, July 05, 2011 9:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• I am using Visual C++ 6.o Professional (on Windows XP Service Pack 3) - to upgrade an even older project from Visual C++ 5.0.

I downloaded Service Pack 6 from the Microsoft site and, as far as I can tell, unpacked and subsequently installed the service pack.

BUT to my slight surprise, when firing up Visual C++ 6.0 afterwards, when checking the 'About' dialog box in VC++ 6 I see no sign or indication that the VC++ installation has changed or been updated. I expected to see something in the dialog box indicating that a service pack was installed.

So...... is there any way to verify IF indeed the SP6 has been properly deployed ?? - and that the VC++ is now operating with all the relevant patches and bug fixes implemented.
    Well, I have VC6 SP6 installed, and in my C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Include directory I see 5 files with dates in the year 2000, while most of the files have the date 6/15/1998.

However, I believe you should also install the STL patches at the Dinkumware site.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, July 05, 2011 9:41 PM
  • Can you please check the installation logs? It may contain information about successful installation.

The following MS KB article help you validate VS SP 6

How To Tell That a Visual Studio Service Pack Is Installed

Visual Studio 6.0 service packs, what, where, why

The list of bugs fixed in this SP6

List of bugs that are fixed in Visual Studio 6.0 Service Pack 6

Thanks and Regards Selvam http://www15.brinkster.com/selvamselvam/
    • Proposed as answer by Alexander Sun Thursday, July 07, 2011 7:22 AM
    Wednesday, July 06, 2011 7:33 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, it seems that your issue is about Visual C++ installation. So I will move it to the correct forum for better support. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Rob

Rob Pan [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, July 07, 2011 2:41 AM
  • Hi Slanderslondon,

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry that Visual C++ 6.0 Standard Edition and Visual C++ 6.0 Enterprise Edition is out of our support since 9/30/2005. Here is the life cycle page: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3003

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Thursday, July 14, 2011 3:00 AM
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 7:23 AM