none
Master's thesis related to .NET -- comments solicited

All replies

• The .NET sections seem correct - I don't see anything blatently wrong in my cursory glance.

That being said, there is a large hole missing in the .NET interoperability page - you mention COM interoperability, which is one of the places .NET has a major breaking change from Java and other related technologies.  However, there is another very large advantage .NET has when doing interop with native code: C++/CLI.

As of Visual Studio 2005, C++ has been able to write code that jointly targets native code and the CLR, and have single classes that mix the two technologies.  This makes creating interoperability layers between native code much, much simpler than Java's JNI or J/Direct, especially if you have a complex native code base.  C++/CLI and mixed mode assemblies really opened up an entirely different means of native-managed code interoperability, in a manner much more flexible and simple than previously available in other technologies.
    Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 1:38 AM
  • Reed,

Thanks for reviewing my .NET material.

If I understand you correctly, .NET supports mixing code targeting both the native machine and the CLR in the same assembly, and with C++/CLR, the native code can seamlessly make calls to the CLR and vice-versa, with the runtime handling all the details. That must certainly be a boon to productivity -- I'll read up on it and mention it in a footnote.

/David
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 12:15 AM