Quick Launch

Question

• In VS2011, can you launch files within your solution using Quick Launch?

e.g. type in default to launch Default.aspx

I tend to use shortcuts heaps so in my code I'll finish a code block - and need to tie it up to another class, so hit Ctrl + Alt + L to launch Solution Explorer, and start typing part of the file name e.g. JoeyMang to launch JoeyManager.cs

This would be awesome if I could just type directly into the Quick Launch :) 

• Edited by Joey Daly Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:50 AM Forgot to mention vs2011
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:47 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Visual Studio 11 Developer Preview introduces search abilities at almost every level of the product. Perhaps the biggest change is the introduction of Quick Launch which specifically addresses how to dig inside Visual Studio to find features you need.

You can refer to the following link to learn how to use Quick launch and what can be done by using Quick Launch:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2011/09/27/visual-studio-11-developer-preview-quick-launch.aspx

Best regards,

Lucy

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, October 24, 2011 5:23 AM
  • Hi Joey,

I temporary make my last reply as answer. You can unmark it if they provide no help.

Thank you for your understanding!

Best regards,

Lucy

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, October 27, 2011 5:25 AM
  • Hey Lucy,

Thanks for that, but I was looking for something like this:

I have Default.aspx open. I want to open About.aspx, but using Quick Launch. So I type it in, and nothing comes up.

Is it possible to have this as a future feature? Would be awesome!

- Joey Daly me blogy - http://www.validusconcepts.com/blog
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 5:58 AM
  • @Joey Thanks for your feedback on Quick Launch.

In the case above, you should use the Solution Explorer search shortcut Ctrl+; which will bring you to the search box in the Solution Explorer window. From there, you can type in "About" and then use the down arrow to get to the About.aspx page. The file will open in the Preview Tab and you can use the shortcut F7 to move from Solution Explorer into the code editor window without taking your hands off the keyboard.

Try it out and let us know if this works as you would expect it to.

Thanks!
    Cathy Sullivan
    Visual Studio Code Experience, Program Manager

Sunday, March 18, 2012 9:22 PM