none
TFS 2010 on Windows 8 Challenge

Question

• I am attempting to install TFS 2010 on a Windows 8 Enterprise base.  During the configuration of a basic environment, the Readiness Check comes back with a set of errors (posted further below).  The first one states that TFS requires IIS 6 compatibility.  So I went into Programs and Features and installed the compatibility (eventually I chose every option).  Yet, TFS still comes ups with the errors.  I went to the Windows 8 Charms' search capability and tried to filter on Internet Information Services.  The only hit I received was for the latest IIS Manager (8.0).  There was no compatibility (6.0) option.

So what is next?

Best Wishes,
    Keith

Here are the errors:

Error

[ Application Tier ] TF255120: Compatibility mode for Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0 is not enabled. Team Foundation Server requires this on this operating system.

Error

[ Application Tier ] TF255456: You must configure Internet Information Services (IIS) to use the Static Content component. Team Foundation Server requires the Static Content component in IIS.

Error

[ Application Tier ] TF255397: Windows Authentication has not been configured as a role service in Internet Information Services (IIS). Team Foundation Server requires that Windows Authentication is installed as one of the role services in IIS.

Error

[ Application Tier ] TF255397: Windows Authentication has not been configured as a role service in Internet Information Services (IIS). Team Foundation Server requires that Windows Authentication is installed as one of the role services in IIS.

Error

Best Wishes, Keith Nicholson

Moving from here to posting under setup.  For the problem.
    • Edited by knicholson Thursday, September 06, 2012 12:02 AM
    Thursday, September 06, 2012 12:00 AM

Answers

• Hi knicholson,

Thank you for your post.

Windows 8 released later than TFS 2010, Windows 8 OS is not in the TFS 2010 support OS list. But there is no information indicates that TFS 2010 cannot work on Windows 8. TFS 2010 on Windows 8 is not tested as TFS 2010 release. If it is required to install TFS 2010 on Windows 8 in your deployment, i suggest you do a test installation first. For detail information, you can refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd578592(v=vs.100)

You can install TFS 2010 on a server that is running one of the following operating systems:
    32-bit versions of Windows Server 2003 (Datacenter Edition, Enterprise Edition, or Standard Edition) with Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    32-bit versions of Windows Server 2003 R2 (Datacenter Edition, Enterprise Edition, or Standard Edition)
    32-bit versions of Windows Server 2003 R2 (Datacenter Edition, Enterprise Edition, or Standard Edition) with SP2
    Windows Server 2008 ¹ with SP2
    Windows Server 2008 R2 ¹ ² ³
    Windows Server 2008 R2 ¹ ² ³ with SP1

You can install TFS 2010 on a client computer that is running one of the operating systems.
    Windows Vista (Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, Windows Vista Ultimate) with SP2
    Windows 7 ³ (Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 7 Ultimate)
    Windows 7 ³ with SP1 (Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1, Windows 7 Professional with SP1, Windows 7 Enterprise with SP1, Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1)

Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, September 06, 2012 5:44 AM

All replies

• I am attempting to install TFS 2010 on a Windows 8 Enterprise base.  During the configuration of a basic environment, the Readiness Check comes back with a set of errors (posted further below).  The first one states that TFS requires IIS 6 compatibility.  So I went into Programs and Features and installed the compatibility (eventually I chose every option).  Yet, TFS still comes ups with the errors.  I went to the Windows 8 Charms' search capability and tried to filter on Internet Information Services.  The only hit I received was for the latest IIS Manager (8.0).  There was no compatibility (6.0) option.

So what is next?

Best Wishes,
    Keith

Here are the errors:

Error

[ Application Tier ] TF255120: Compatibility mode for Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0 is not enabled. Team Foundation Server requires this on this operating system.

Error

[ Application Tier ] TF255456: You must configure Internet Information Services (IIS) to use the Static Content component. Team Foundation Server requires the Static Content component in IIS.

Error

Error

Error

Best Wishes, Keith Nicholson

Thursday, September 06, 2012 12:03 AM
  • Hi knicholson,

Thank you for your post.

Windows 8 released later than TFS 2010, Windows 8 OS is not in the TFS 2010 support OS list. But there is no information indicates that TFS 2010 cannot work on Windows 8. TFS 2010 on Windows 8 is not tested as TFS 2010 release. If it is required to install TFS 2010 on Windows 8 in your deployment, i suggest you do a test installation first. For detail information, you can refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd578592(v=vs.100)

You can install TFS 2010 on a server that is running one of the following operating systems:
    32-bit versions of Windows Server 2003 (Datacenter Edition, Enterprise Edition, or Standard Edition) with Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    32-bit versions of Windows Server 2003 R2 (Datacenter Edition, Enterprise Edition, or Standard Edition)
    32-bit versions of Windows Server 2003 R2 (Datacenter Edition, Enterprise Edition, or Standard Edition) with SP2
    Windows Server 2008 ¹ with SP2
    Windows Server 2008 R2 ¹ ² ³
    Windows Server 2008 R2 ¹ ² ³ with SP1

You can install TFS 2010 on a client computer that is running one of the operating systems.
    Windows Vista (Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, Windows Vista Ultimate) with SP2
    Windows 7 ³ (Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 7 Ultimate)
    Windows 7 ³ with SP1 (Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1, Windows 7 Professional with SP1, Windows 7 Enterprise with SP1, Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1)

Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]

Thursday, September 06, 2012 5:44 AM
  • Hi knicholson,

How about the issue now?  I suggest you mark useful post as answer, it will be very beneficial for other community members having the similar questions.

If anything is unclear, please free feel to let me know.

Best Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]

Monday, September 10, 2012 7:13 AM
  • If it ran fine on Windows 7 why not Windows 8?  Perhaps you could give us a more detailed answer??
    • Edited by Richp582 Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:50 PM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:50 PM
  • man, ain't this a load. It indeed ran fine on 7, what's the deal that it won't run on 8, Redmond wants to sell something else?

Really disgusted.

Friday, November 30, 2012 12:19 AM