none
Errors when executing the tests remotly

Question

• hi.

I have another issue.

I'm running the tests remotly (throught an agent) (tried with 2 tests also and the same), and after the tests finished (I'm cheching the status), VS is blocking and it's thouing some pop-ups errors (1. TimeOutException: "Internal Error! Failed to aquire a ReaderLock"; 2. "Exception was throw: The semaphore timout perios has expired") (this began after I enable the debug trace on the remote machine).

In Eventviewer:

The description for Event ID 0 from source VSTTExecution cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

(devenv.exe, PID 796, Thread 28) RemoteTestDataProxy: Exception thrown from controller while querying on a background thread: System.TimeoutException: Internal Error!
    Failed to acquire a ReaderLock
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Common.DisposingReaderWriterLock.RWLAcquireReaderLock(ThreadLockInfo t, Int32 timeout)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Common.DisposingReaderWriterLock.ReaderLock..ctor(DisposingReaderWriterLock disposingReaderWriterLock, Int32 timeout)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.TestManagement.Tmi.GetTestRun(Guid runId)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.TestCaseManagement.TestRunDataContainer.RemoteTestDataProxy.BuildCacheTableFromController()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.TestCaseManagement.TestRunDataContainer.RemoteTestDataProxy.QueryRefreshData(Object stateInfo)

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table
    //--

The description for Event ID 0 from source VSTTExecution cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

(devenv.exe, PID 796, Thread 30) LocalRunMessageListener: Exception in HandleControllerEvent: System.TimeoutException: Internal Error!
    Failed to acquire a ReaderLock
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Common.DisposingReaderWriterLock.RWLAcquireReaderLock(ThreadLockInfo t, Int32 timeout)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Common.DisposingReaderWriterLock.ReaderLock..ctor(DisposingReaderWriterLock disposingReaderWriterLock, Int32 timeout)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.TestManagement.Tmi.GetTestRun(Guid runId)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.TestManagement.Tmi.AddResult(TestMessage msg)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.RunMessageListening.LocalRunMessageListener.ProcessReceivedTestMessage(TestMessage testMessage)

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

//--

(devenv.exe, PID 796, Thread 1) StringToVariantHelper.WriteSafeArrayToVariant: Failed to clear the variant. Exception message: Bad variable type. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020008 (DISP_E_BADVARTYPE))

I have few applications installed. This problem, with others one:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsautotest/thread/50da045e-a671-41b2-8030-a77b185005c1/#3486c849-5664-48d4-b088-d81536626088

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsautotest/thread/07f14efb-22a5-46cb-8f29-bbc8e0c73ad1/

make my life a ____ when i'm trying to check the tests.

I have Win 7 and VS 2010 Ultimate. I'm executing the tests on Win 2003, on a remote machine (from other country).

Please help.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

We are getting this investigated. internally, this is not a known issue. Can you please file a bug on connect for us to track this internally. We will follow-up via the connect bug form.

Thanks,

Abhishek [MSFT]

Monday, November 15, 2010 8:51 PM
  • Hi,

I'm getting this error as well, specifically when trying to setup a test controller in a different domain from the TFS server, and run a remote test - was a resolution ever found?

Thanks,

TestUser

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:29 PM
  • Hello,

Please file a bug so our Test team can track and hopefully resolve this issue:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedbackForm.aspx?FeedbackFormConfigurationID=4861&FeedbackType=1

Thanks

Chuck

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 5:59 AM
  • Hi TestUser1253,

I will try to reproduce this problem, can you provide a little more information about it. Do you have any repro steps which generally result in this problem?

Also, which client were you using to run the tests, is it MTM? Are your client and test controller in the same domain? What all data collectors were enabled when running the test?

Thanks,

Sachin.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 12:44 PM
  • Hi Sachin,

Thanks for your help. I am running the tests via Visual Studio connected to TFS in a DomainA against a test controller and test agent in DomainB. Perhaps this is related to the issue - I'm in the process of switching to a controller in DomainA, along with TFS, and only keeping the agents in DomainB (a "TEST" domain). The issues occurrs suddenly and doesn't resolve unless I reboot everything - but I have more than 20 agents and am constantly running tests. I will try to open a ticket as soon as possible to give you more detailed logs.

Thanks,

TestUser1253

Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:29 PM
  • Hi,

I just noticed, my test controller has very little free disk space. That may or may not be related. I will try to free up more space. If you have tips for automating disk maintenance on test controllers this would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

TestUser1253

Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:31 PM