none
Windows 8 beta OS is not downloading .Net frameworks 3.5 on my laptop.

Question

• I have read as much as I could handle about other people having the same problem so I have decided to post the problem myself hoping for better results. I have tried installing it via online, and it gave me the error that it could not connect to the internet to install, then I tried installing the offline version, to no avail, it came up with "An app on  your PC needs the following windows feature: .Net FrameWorks 3.5." which is the message that had me try installing it in the first place, then I tried using the command "DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFX3 /All /Source:E:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess" and it fails at 65.8% every time [E is my DVD drive with my windows 8 beta disc inserted] and errors out to be 0x800f081f, then I tried enabling it via my control panel and I get yet another error 0x800f906 which is the same error the first one gave me.

Any help would be much appreciated.

• Edited by Sakasil Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:02 AM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Sakasil,

In Windows 8 and in Windows Server 2012, the .Net Framework 3.5 is a Feature on Demand. The metadata for Features on Demand are included in Windows 8 and in Windows Server 2012. However, the binaries and other files associated with the feature are not included. When you enable the feature, Windows tries to contact Windows Update to download the missing information to install the feature.

The network configuration and how computers are configured to install updates in the environment can affect this process. Therefore, you may encounter errors when you first install such features.

To resolve this problem, please view the article as following below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2734782

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:56 AM
  • I still am getting the same problems, and maybe I am just not tech savvy enough to solve this, but I have tried the ways to fix the problems that were mentioned in the link and they did not work, I am not ruling out the possibility that I do not understand the processes in question, but in any case I may just give it up until I can get someone who may understand it to help.

Thank you

• Edited by Sakasil Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:13 AM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:12 AM
  • Hi Sakasil,

I will involve some experts into this issue to see whether they can help you out. There might be some time delay, appreciate for your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:21 AM
  • Hi,

In this case, I'm afraid you have to get internet connection working on your computer.  During turning on .NET 3.5 feature on Windows 8, it connects to Web to download necessary files.

thanks.

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

• Proposed as answer by Forrest GuoModerator Thursday, December 13, 2012 8:55 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Sakasil Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:32 AM
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 8:54 AM
  • That is the problem I have been encountering, the entire time I have had access to the internet, I have tried turning off my firewalls to no avail, and tried allowing all the windows update sights, through IE, the firewall and my google chrome. I have also tried using a lan cable instead of my wifi and none of my other computers have problems accessing windows for update services so I know it is not the router, unless the router has changed recently, which I doubt.

thanks

• Edited by Sakasil Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:46 AM
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:16 AM
  • Windows 8 is RTM now, before RTM, there has been Windows 8 Developer Preview, Customer Preview, and Release Preview. All these has a limited time before expiration. Take Release Preview as example, I've been notified it is going to expire around Jan, that's a month later. So in theory Developer Preview, and Customer Preview version should expire earlier. What's exact version you're running?

In best case, if you're running Release Preview version, you may try this command:

sfc /scannow

this is to detect if there're system component corrupt, and repair as necessary.

Wait for you reply.

thanks.

Thursday, December 13, 2012 1:06 PM
  • Customer Preview is the one I am running.

Trent Wilson

Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:55 PM
  • Can you run command "winver" and see exact expiration date? Customer Preview version expects to expire.

You may consider upgrade RTM.

regards,

Friday, December 14, 2012 3:15 PM
  • it says it expires 1/15/13

Trent Wilson

Friday, December 14, 2012 4:30 PM
  • What does "sfc /scannow" command output?

Saturday, December 15, 2012 12:45 PM
  • Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Trent Wilson

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:23 PM