none
Bug tracking and TFS?

Question

• Hello,

I would like to ask you about using Team foundation Server as bug tracking system.

Already we are using Countersoft Gemini, this is one of many bug tracking application.

Because we started to use repository and build from Team Foundation Server, we consider also migrating bug tracking system to TFS work items.

What do you think about this?

Can TFS be utilized as complete bug tracking system with time logging and issue managements functionality?

Do you have any experiences with migration from other bug tracker to TFS?

Thanks for answers

cyberjoe
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 2:51 PM

Answers

• VSTS work item tracking is definitely worth evaluating because the work items become part of the whole development lifecycle, you can assign each check-in to the work item it relates to, determine which work items are included in each build, etc.

The work item templates are also completely customisable so you can define exactly what information you want to capture and the rules that apply. Microsoft do ship two sets of templates out-of-the-box though, one for Agile development and one for CMMI development.

However, the default templates don't really cover tracking time so you may need to make modifications to do this.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:39 AM
  • TFS is a real power house when it comes to tracking issues, impediments, etc. in terms of a Team Project solution, but using the process templates that ship in the box you may not necessarily find all the features you are looking for, i.e. time management and tracking. I would, however, suggest that you evaluate the process templates ... you can find reference to more on accentient.com/widgets.aspx and determine if any of them fit your requirements, or would require minimal customisation.

We have been using TFS as a bug tracking system for a while, both as part of solutions and as a unit, where we created a Team Project for just the work item tracking. Apart from some challenges, i.e. lack of time tracking, no current support for hierarchical work items, etc. we are very happy with TFS as a bug tracking system.
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 11:23 AM
  • I did a presentation at the Queensland VSTS User Group a couple of months ago, you can download the PowerPoint slides if you'd like to see what customisation of work items is possible:

http://www.bartholomew.id.au/PreviousPresentations.ashx

Thursday, March 29, 2007 10:02 PM
  • In terms of performing the migration, it is possible to write some .NET code that uses the TFS api to insert work items into the server - however the route I tend to take is to use the Excel integration with TFS to migrate work items.

I export the data from the old system (usually in CSV format or something), load it into excel.  You'll then need to manually manipulate the data to get it in a format for TFS and then you can load it into TFS using the Excel integration.  The Excel integration with TFS is a great way to handle bulk updates to many work items.

When I do this, I tend to keep the old systems tracking ID in the title of the new bug, tasks etc - that way you can easily identify the "old bug 1234"

Good luck,

Martin.
    Friday, March 30, 2007 10:21 AM

All replies

• VSTS work item tracking is definitely worth evaluating because the work items become part of the whole development lifecycle, you can assign each check-in to the work item it relates to, determine which work items are included in each build, etc.

The work item templates are also completely customisable so you can define exactly what information you want to capture and the rules that apply. Microsoft do ship two sets of templates out-of-the-box though, one for Agile development and one for CMMI development.

However, the default templates don't really cover tracking time so you may need to make modifications to do this.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:39 AM
  • TFS is a real power house when it comes to tracking issues, impediments, etc. in terms of a Team Project solution, but using the process templates that ship in the box you may not necessarily find all the features you are looking for, i.e. time management and tracking. I would, however, suggest that you evaluate the process templates ... you can find reference to more on accentient.com/widgets.aspx and determine if any of them fit your requirements, or would require minimal customisation.

We have been using TFS as a bug tracking system for a while, both as part of solutions and as a unit, where we created a Team Project for just the work item tracking. Apart from some challenges, i.e. lack of time tracking, no current support for hierarchical work items, etc. we are very happy with TFS as a bug tracking system.
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 11:23 AM
  • I did a presentation at the Queensland VSTS User Group a couple of months ago, you can download the PowerPoint slides if you'd like to see what customisation of work items is possible:

http://www.bartholomew.id.au/PreviousPresentations.ashx

Thursday, March 29, 2007 10:02 PM
  • In terms of performing the migration, it is possible to write some .NET code that uses the TFS api to insert work items into the server - however the route I tend to take is to use the Excel integration with TFS to migrate work items.

I export the data from the old system (usually in CSV format or something), load it into excel.  You'll then need to manually manipulate the data to get it in a format for TFS and then you can load it into TFS using the Excel integration.  The Excel integration with TFS is a great way to handle bulk updates to many work items.

When I do this, I tend to keep the old systems tracking ID in the title of the new bug, tasks etc - that way you can easily identify the "old bug 1234"

Good luck,

Martin.
    Friday, March 30, 2007 10:21 AM
  • You might want to take services from Kyrosoft. They migrate bug tracking systems to TFS Work Items even with History and attachments being intact.

http://www.kyrosoft.com/services/MicrosoftVSTS.htm

Cheers!

Gaurav

Monday, May 28, 2007 6:41 AM