none
VC++ 6 and SDKs... I'm so confused....

Question

• Hi to all...

I'm working on my old project in VC++ 6 and I have define WINVER 0x500. During compiling process,  in debug window,  i have this message:

NOTE: WINVER has been defined as 0x0500 or greater which enables
    Windows NT 5.0 and Windows 98 features. When these headers were released,
    Windows NT 5.0 beta 1 and Windows 98 beta 2.1 were the current versions.
    For this release when WINVER is defined as 0x0500 or greater, you can only
    build beta or test applications.  To build a retail application,
    set WINVER to 0x0400 or visit http://www.microsoft.com/msdn/sdk
    to see if retail Windows NT 5.0 or Windows 98 headers are available.
    See the SDK release notes for more information.

So, i visited Microsoft sdk site and it tell me that the last sdk is Windows® Server 2003 SP1 Platform SDK, that i have already installed but that SDK is not compatible with VC++ 6, beacause the last for VC++ 6 was released at February 2003.

My question is:

Can i use that headers however (and WINVER 0x0500), or i must order Cd of old SDK? 

Friday, July 07, 2006 12:47 PM

Answers

• the easiest way is in the old Platform SDK (Feb 2003) you can integrate with VC6 automatically by using

Start - Programs - Microsoft Platform SDK - Visual Studio Registration - Register PSDK Directories with Visual Studio

or you can do this manually in any Platform SDK in the program using: Tools-Options-Directories, and then set up the directories for include, executables and libraries, so that the Platform SDK folders are at the top of each list.

Friday, July 07, 2006 2:54 PM
  • You need all of it (save all the files to a common folder).  Then run the batch file from the command line (it requires a path as a command line argument as well) then it will extract all the files.  Then run setup.exe.
    Tuesday, July 25, 2006 5:19 PM

All replies

• You should consider upgrading your VS. One option is Visual C++ 2005 Express Ed (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/).

As for your question, the download site states: "This SDK does not support working with Microsoft Visual C/C++®, 6.0 as support for VC 6.0 has ended. The last SDK that will work with VC 6.0 is the February 2003 Edition, you can order a CD on the fulfillment site. Side by side installations are not supported.".

Friday, July 07, 2006 12:54 PM
  • The headers in all Platform SDKs work fine with VC6. 

It's the libraries that are a problem.  Most libraries are pure import libraries so don't contain any information other than funtion pointers.   Other libraries (only 4 or so) have mixed import and static information.  Certain libraries, such as shell32.lib have debug information for the static portion of its lib that is not compatible with VC6. 

So what I normally do is copy the libraries that are not compatible with VC6 from an older version of the SDK (Feb 2003) to the Lib folder of the new Platform SDK install folder.

Or instead of ordering, you can simply download the entire February 2003 Platform SDK from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/psdk-full.htm

Friday, July 07, 2006 12:57 PM
  • Thanks Ted for your explaination..

But, please, tell me another info.

I have already on my pc Windows® Server 2003 SP1 Platform SDK (last update 2005), so before download from your link old Sdk, i want understand one thing.

In settings of my VC++ 6 i have already the new include folder from last Sdk, but how can i use that include and not include files from VC98\include?

How can i understand if an include file is compatible with with VC++ 6?

Thanks for your help!

Friday, July 07, 2006 2:32 PM
  • I'd still say you would save yourself a whole lot of trouble if you upgraded to VC++ 2005 (Express). Unless you are otherwise bound to VC6, please consider this.
    Friday, July 07, 2006 2:36 PM
  • the easiest way is in the old Platform SDK (Feb 2003) you can integrate with VC6 automatically by using

Start - Programs - Microsoft Platform SDK - Visual Studio Registration - Register PSDK Directories with Visual Studio

or you can do this manually in any Platform SDK in the program using: Tools-Options-Directories, and then set up the directories for include, executables and libraries, so that the Platform SDK folders are at the top of each list.

Friday, July 07, 2006 2:54 PM
  • I have already WS 2005 Pro, but that is an old project and i must continue it in VC++ 6.0!

---------------------

x Ted

Thanks Ted, i try your procedures!

Friday, July 07, 2006 3:41 PM
  • Hi Ted,

About the full SDK Feb 2003 download, there are lots of PSDK_Full.n.cab in the site. Is it any of these stuff will be downloaded to have a full SDK or all of these stuff?

Thanks.

Kuroro

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 5:48 AM
  • Hi Ted,

About the full SDK Feb 2003 download, there are lots of PSDK_Full.n.cab in the site. Is it any of these stuff will be downloaded to have a full SDK or all of these stuff?

Thanks.

Kuroro Rucilful

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 5:48 AM
  • You need all of it (save all the files to a common folder).  Then run the batch file from the command line (it requires a path as a command line argument as well) then it will extract all the files.  Then run setup.exe.
    Tuesday, July 25, 2006 5:19 PM