none
URGENT!! New using VS 2005!! Problem on releasing...

Question

• Hello, I have a question like I have two computers at home, one loaded VC++ 2005 Express and the other one with nothing but a clean Windows XP. I am working on a little project on the computer w/ VC++. After I compiled the project by using either (debug/release), when I try to run the exe file over the other computer (I copied the whole folder to the other computer already). It shows an application error. Is there anything I can do? Thank you!!

Luis  

Sunday, August 20, 2006 6:14 PM

Answers

•  Luislcm wrote:
    Is there anything I can do?
    Yes, of course.

Copying the output binaries is not enough. Unless the CRT ("C" Run Time) is statically linked to your executible, you need to copy / install those files too i.e. msvcr80.dll for Release mode and msvcr80d.dll for debug mode binaries.

Read this article for detailed information.
    Sunday, August 20, 2006 6:19 PM
  •  Luislcm wrote:
    I tried to copy both msvcr80.dll and msvcr80d.dll to my project directory and debug directory but still doesn't work on the other computer.
    You don't need to copy them to the Project Folder or the Debug folder of the computer where you are building in. Rather, you need to have them installed into the destination PC where stuff doesn't work.

So, if you followed the article I supplied you with above, it recommends (in clause # 2) that you run vcredist_86.exe in the destination computer before attempting to execute your application there. This re-distributable package will copy the CRT libraries to the correct folder on that PC, hence making them usable by your application.

One can download vcredist_86.exe from this location.
    Sunday, August 20, 2006 6:51 PM

All replies

•  Luislcm wrote:
    Is there anything I can do?
    Yes, of course.

Copying the output binaries is not enough. Unless the CRT ("C" Run Time) is statically linked to your executible, you need to copy / install those files too i.e. msvcr80.dll for Release mode and msvcr80d.dll for debug mode binaries.

Read this article for detailed information.
    Sunday, August 20, 2006 6:19 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Sorry that I am just a beginner from VS 2005 and I don't really understand how to "statically linked" the CRT to my executible. I tried to copy both msvcr80.dll and msvcr80d.dll to my project directory and debug directory but still doesn't work on the other computer. Is there anything I have to do with the code or the setting in VS 2005? Thank you for your consideration and time!! 

Luis

Sunday, August 20, 2006 6:44 PM
  •  Luislcm wrote:
    I tried to copy both msvcr80.dll and msvcr80d.dll to my project directory and debug directory but still doesn't work on the other computer.
    You don't need to copy them to the Project Folder or the Debug folder of the computer where you are building in. Rather, you need to have them installed into the destination PC where stuff doesn't work.

So, if you followed the article I supplied you with above, it recommends (in clause # 2) that you run vcredist_86.exe in the destination computer before attempting to execute your application there. This re-distributable package will copy the CRT libraries to the correct folder on that PC, hence making them usable by your application.

One can download vcredist_86.exe from this location.
    Sunday, August 20, 2006 6:51 PM
  • Also install the .NET 2.0 Framework if you're creating managed (CLR) applications.  And don't forget to put the exact error message in your posts so we can actually tell what might have gone wrong.
    Sunday, August 20, 2006 8:25 PM
  • You can statically link by going to the project properties and under the Compiler options choose "Mutithreaded" instead of "Mutithreaded DLL."  Note that static linking is not recomended as per the article referenced above.

Sunday, August 20, 2006 9:09 PM
  • Ooo...thing comes worse now!! I got an new error message!!

Package Load Failure

Package 'Visual C++ Property Manager Package' has failed to load properly ( GUID = {3A3E1789-3E35-47BD-8567-D2FB47CC63D} ). Please contact package vendor for assistance. Application restart is recommended, due to possible environment corruption. Would you like to disable loading this package in the future? You may use 'VCExpress /resetskippkgs' to re-enable package loading.

I tried to re-install the VC++ Express 2005 already. Yet, still get this error message when I open the VC++. Now I can't open or start any new project. Any idea?! Thank you!!

Luis

Sunday, August 20, 2006 9:55 PM
  •  Luislcm wrote:
    I tried to re-install the VC++ Express 2005 already...
    I presume you are talking of these errors on your development PC?

None of the changes recommended above apply to your development PC with Visual Studio Express on it. All you had to do was to install vcredist_x86.exe on the test machine, and .NET Fx, if applicable - also on the test machine (the development PC was in a functional state).

So, as far as your development PC goes, nothing should have changed and things should build / work the way they always did. If your stuff stopped working there, it implies that you made some changes to the development PC - changes that ought to be reversed.

Sunday, August 20, 2006 10:01 PM
  • But now I can do nothing on my development PC. I think I have to format my PC soon.

Luis

Sunday, August 20, 2006 10:05 PM
  •  Luislcm wrote:
    But now I can do nothing on my development PC. I think I have to format my PC soon.
    To me that sounds a little bit too severe a diagnosis given that we didn't ask you to change anything in your development PC in the first place.

So, very obviously you have made some changes, and you should be able to reverse them. It should be as simple as that.

For example, you indicated copying some CRT libraries into the project's folder. This was unnecessary. So, if you copied them, delete them. If you moved them, restore them in their original location. So on and so forth...

Of course, it is you who needs to know what you did. If you don't know that, the likelihood is high that nobody else does either.

Sunday, August 20, 2006 10:08 PM
  • I have run into this exact problem with executing an application developed on VC++ Express Edition on other computers. I have tried downloading vcredist_86.exe from the location that you specified(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=32BC1BEE-A3F9-4C13-9C99-220B62A191EE&displaylang=en) but it just opens a page with "The page cannot be displayed" error. This has happened on every attempt I have made in the last day or two. Could someone provide some help or suggestions?  Thanks!

Kumar

Sunday, August 27, 2006 12:46 AM
  • I have run into a similar problem with executing an application developed on VC++ Express Edition on other computers. I have tried downloading vcredist_86.exe from the location that you specified(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=32BC1BEE-A3F9-4C13-9C99-220B62A191EE&displaylang=en) but it just opens a page with "The page cannot be displayed" error. If I follow the link provided in "If your download does not start after 30 seconds...", I get the same result. This has happened on every attempt I have made in the last 2-3 days. Could someone provide some help or suggestions? 

I also tried to manually download some of the express edition packages as an experiment (from http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/support/install/) and that doesn't work either. I get the same "page cannot be displayed" error at the destination URL http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=54766.

I used to be able to download express editions and other packages from Microsoft without any problems in the past. Something seems to have changed within the last couple of months. I have heard of one other person having the same problem (see http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=668273&SiteID=1).

I have tried deleting all temporary internet files and cookies, and set my temp internet files folder size to 10 GB, but it still doesn't work. I am really stuck at this point without access to vcredist_86.exe and also the .NET 2.0 runtime package. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Kumar

Monday, August 28, 2006 3:27 PM
  • All the links you have mentioned above are actually working perfectly fine - at least on my end.

Perhaps, you need to check your proxy and it's configuration. Also, when stuff doesn't work on your PC when it is supposed to, it helps to check on one more system.
    Monday, August 28, 2006 3:31 PM
  •  

I have tried this on three different computers, with no success on any of them. I have even tried turning off the firewall briefly, but it has no effect. I am completely stumped. Any other thoughts on what might be the problem here (especially since one other person has asked a similar question on another forum)?

Thanks,

Kumar

Monday, August 28, 2006 5:10 PM