none
Editing the Excel Reports used by Project Portal Results in Corruption

Question

• We have just gotten our TFS setup and are beginning to use for the team. We are however running consistantly across the following issues using the Excell Reports. The following has been observed by several people.

We are all using Excel 2010 and TFS 2010.

Repro-

• Open an Excel Report from either the Portal or Visual Studio such as 'Test Plan Progress' from the Agile Template.
    • Modify the Iteration Path, etc to pull correct data. Chart is correctly populated.
    • Save (saves back to xlsx by default).
    • Go to Portal Dashboard containing the Report.
    • RESULT: Error indicating that the Web Part cannot be viewed and is either an unrecognized file format or is corrupted.
    • Open the file again.
    • RESULT: Error opening file below:

Errors:

Removed Part: /xl/pivotTables/pivotTable1.xml part.  (PivotTable view)
    Removed Feature: PivotTable report from /xl/pivotCache/pivotCacheDefinition1.xml part (PivotTable cache)
    Removed Records: Workbook properties from /xl/workbook.xml part (Workbook)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>

- <recoveryLog xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main">
      <logFileName>error052000_02.xml</logFileName>
      <summary>Errors were detected in file 'http://chelt2web01:33295/DefaultCollection/CarError/Reports/Test Plan Progress.xlsx'</summary>
    - <removedParts summary="Following is a list of removed parts:">
      <removedPart>Removed Part: /xl/pivotTables/pivotTable1.xml part. (PivotTable view)</removedPart>
      </removedParts>
    - <removedFeatures summary="Following is a list of removed features:">
      <removedFeature>Removed Feature: PivotTable report from /xl/pivotCache/pivotCacheDefinition1.xml part (PivotTable cache)</removedFeature>
      </removedFeatures>
    - <removedRecords summary="Following is a list of removed records:">
      <removedRecord>Removed Records: Workbook properties from /xl/workbook.xml part (Workbook)</removedRecord>
      </removedRecords>
      </recoveryLog>
    Friday, October 15, 2010 5:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi:

Why are you saving a modified report page back to the server?  They are meant to be reports to extract data, and there should be no reason to overwrite the exiting "blank" reports.

When I try to save the spreadsheet back it tells me the original is read only and I should save a copy

with a different name  Did you  changed the attributes on the files as well?

Unless I am misunderstanding something, basically there is no reason to save the file back unless you need to modify the report format.

Wendell

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 9:52 PM
  • So.... Excell Reports must be modified in order to point them to the correct Iterations/Areas/Dates, etc.... they don't just magically know what data to get. I am not modifying the web part - I'm modifying the excell file which pulls the data from TFS... that is the whole point of excell services, no?

I save fine (i don't have the files in Read Only when I'm editing). The Save is stripping out some XML which is required to display the web part as noted in the error above.

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 8:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Meretrix Monday, January 10, 2011 7:00 PM
    Monday, January 10, 2011 7:00 PM