none
Intel Parallel Studio Vs Visual Studio

Question

• I want to know that how can i use the features of Intel Parallel Studio in Microsoft Visual Studio 2008. Can anybody give me the comparison between these two products.

Awais Yousaf

LUMS,Pakistan.

Friday, April 30, 2010 9:58 AM

Answers

• Intel is a VSIP and their Parallel Studio extends VS2008 adding a number of tools, replacing the C++ compiler, and providing some libraries, such at Intel's TBB and the PPL jointly developed by Microsoft and Intel.  More information on the Parallel Studio can be found here.  So, there is no "comparison" between these products since Parallel Studio is an extension to Visual Studio.

VS2010 ships with the Concurrency Runtime (ConcRT) and the PPL in the box.  In  addition there are debugger extensions and the currency visualizer to  help you tune you parallel application.  You can find out more about Microsoft's offerings for parallel programming here.

Intel has announced that they will support ConcRT and VS2010 in a release of Parallel Studio later this year.

-Dana Groff
     Senior Program Manager, ConcRT

• Proposed as answer by Dana Groff Monday, May 17, 2010 11:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dana Groff Wednesday, May 26, 2010 7:20 AM
    Monday, May 17, 2010 11:40 PM

All replies

• Intel is a VSIP and their Parallel Studio extends VS2008 adding a number of tools, replacing the C++ compiler, and providing some libraries, such at Intel's TBB and the PPL jointly developed by Microsoft and Intel.  More information on the Parallel Studio can be found here.  So, there is no "comparison" between these products since Parallel Studio is an extension to Visual Studio.

VS2010 ships with the Concurrency Runtime (ConcRT) and the PPL in the box.  In  addition there are debugger extensions and the currency visualizer to  help you tune you parallel application.  You can find out more about Microsoft's offerings for parallel programming here.

Intel has announced that they will support ConcRT and VS2010 in a release of Parallel Studio later this year.

-Dana Groff
     Senior Program Manager, ConcRT

• Proposed as answer by Dana Groff Monday, May 17, 2010 11:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dana Groff Wednesday, May 26, 2010 7:20 AM
    Monday, May 17, 2010 11:40 PM
  • I should add that TBB 3.0 released 5/4/2010 and contains their support for ConcRT.  Read about it in James' blog posting.  He also announced that their next version of OpenMP (in Beta now) will be supporting ConcRT.

-Dana

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 12:18 AM
  • Awais Yousaf,

I hope my reply answered your question.  Since I have not seen any further questsions I will mark this thread as answered today.  Feel free to reset the status if you have further questions around the PPL and TBB story.

Thank you for your question,

- Dana Groff, ConcRT

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 7:20 AM