none
Developing software synthesizers

Question

• Is C# a good choice for developing software synthesizers or would it be better to use C++ for anything related to audio synthesis?
    Saturday, April 28, 2012 12:24 AM

Answers

• I have been working with C# for a long time and I know it can handle just about everything you throw at it. I'd say C# is the best choice for what you are doing.

Nevin Janzen (Visit my Website)
    If this post answers your question, please click Propose As Answer. If this post is helpful, please click Vote As Helpful.

• Marked as answer by John Colgrove Saturday, April 28, 2012 9:53 PM
    Saturday, April 28, 2012 8:43 PM

All replies

• Could you provide more detail?

If this post answers your question, please click Propose As Answer. If this post is helpful, please click Vote As Helpful.

Saturday, April 28, 2012 1:45 AM
  • Could you be more specific? What else do you want to know.
    Saturday, April 28, 2012 3:26 AM
  • What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

P.S. Visit this page.

Saturday, April 28, 2012 3:34 AM
  • Can you provide more detail maybe?

Saturday, April 28, 2012 3:35 AM
  • Sorry, I drew a blank both when I replied to that and when I made the thread. I'll tell you a bit of what I'm trying to do. I want to eventually develop a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) where you make instruments and sounds with color. Kind of like sound color synesthesia but except you are making music with color and not hearing a sound and interpreting a color from that sound. Everything you do will have an associated color with it, such as filters, effects, LFOs, even different types of audio synthesis.

I guess I was wondering if C# could even handle something as large and complex as this or if I would be better off with a different language. I would prefer to stick with C# as I'm learning the language right now.

Saturday, April 28, 2012 4:05 AM
  • Hi

you could take a look at:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/19618/C-Synth-Toolkit-Part-I and

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/19621/C-Synth-Toolkit-Part-II

for creating sw systhesizers with c# and Managed DirectX

Regards,

Thorsten

Saturday, April 28, 2012 6:18 AM
  • I have been working with C# for a long time and I know it can handle just about everything you throw at it. I'd say C# is the best choice for what you are doing.

• Marked as answer by John Colgrove Saturday, April 28, 2012 9:53 PM
    Saturday, April 28, 2012 8:43 PM
  • Thank god. I feel a lot better about using C# now. I really didn't want to switch anyway due to the fact I'm learning C# for programming games in Unity.
    Saturday, April 28, 2012 9:53 PM
  • there are several pretty good daw out there already.

Reason

Ableton

Reaper C#

to name a few.

Reaper is fairly inexpensive.

Why re-invent the wheel?

foxjazz

Sunday, April 29, 2012 12:36 AM
  • I don't consider it re-inventing the wheel in this case because my plan is to make music by inputting colors. If you can name anything out there like that, by all means go ahead, but I've never found anything even remotely close to what I'm planning.
    Sunday, April 29, 2012 12:43 AM
  • Just curious. Why do you handicap a program like that?

People that are color blind, won't be able to use it.

Symbols may be a better fit.

foxjazz

Monday, April 30, 2012 6:35 PM
  • That's a good question. I thought about that but I never really came to a simple solution. I'm failing to picture what you mean by symbols? What symbols did you have in mind?
    Monday, April 30, 2012 7:59 PM
  • sorry for the long delay. Well like symbols of 88 keys on a piano is a good start. It represents scale, and placement of keys.

There are many options, you can mark the simble of a key and split like the white key up into two peaces one with a wave symble on it ~.

And make that part of it tremelo or vibrate up and down.

There are all kinds of possibilities for doing cool things. I like the guitar, but it's hard for me to play.

Why don't you make a musical instrument with Kinect, or the new hand motion reading device that is 100 times better than kinect.

Let me know how it turns out.

foxjazz

Friday, June 22, 2012 4:40 PM